IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

That's what I said.

MEDIUM is usually the middle 50% of so averaged together taking out the top 25% and the lower 25%. In your 140b, 100k, 100k, and 5k example: 46.67 billion is the MEAN average, 100k is the MEDIUM and the 100K is the MODE. This is exactly what I said. A previous post said use the MEAN average on Steam sales. But that takes into account AAA games at $60 and $1 games. So we get rid of those and use the middle part. You are saying what I just said. What I find even funnier is that name nimwitz 'iike' the same posts all of the time. Your hatred for Atari just spills over to every post you make.

Are you trying to type MEDIAN, my dear Swiss cake roll?

• Like 8

I suppose there is a small possibility that those who ordered a VCS with the intent to actually use it, will get so excited where there is any - preferrably exclusive - content available for it, that a majority actually will buy the stuff if it is not insanely priced. However that tactic will work for the first 3-10 titles, then the novelty value of having actual VCS content will fade and the subsequent games will be down to those 0.02% buyers. In a such scenario, developers need to act quickly in order to get anything out of the ecosystem. Any latecomer who has a really superb game likely will release it for some other system where 1% of installed systems amounts to larger numbers.

• Like 1

Let's look more closely at the word Nathan Strum mentioned: "Atari - we're Hudge!"™

"Hudge" by noun is a bucket, usually for carrying coal or ore. So I figured the big-wigs at Atari SA are, or want to be immune by any negativity publicity. So I figure....

post-18158-0-61089900-1530925937_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I suppose there is a small possibility that those who ordered a VCS with the intent to actually use it, will get so excited where there is any - preferrably exclusive - content available for it, that a majority actually will buy the stuff if it is not insanely priced. However that tactic will work for the first 3-10 titles, then the novelty value of having actual VCS content will fade and the subsequent games will be down to those 0.02% buyers. In a such scenario, developers need to act quickly in order to get anything out of the ecosystem. Any latecomer who has a really superb game likely will release it for some other system where 1% of installed systems amounts to larger numbers.

Id just be interested in existing games myself. Id love the ability to download and play games from all past Atari consoles and computers. Both games by Atari and other publishers. Playing them on an Atari branded nice looking box would be sweet. Now they would have to be reasonably priced. Maybe $2 - $10 depending on the game.

But Im most likely in the minority on being willing to buy a VCS and then buy old games for it.

Cant see new games being worth developing for this. Except maybe homebrews and such. It would be cool to see that type of community on a Ataribox.

Im dreaming, but hey at least its dreaming bout something cool :0

• Like 1

Cant see new games being worth developing for this. Except maybe homebrews and such. It would be cool to see that type of community on a Ataribox.

How the fuck do you homebrew a PC game? Isn't that just called "making a PC game?"

• Like 1

How the fuck do you homebrew a PC game? Isn't that just called "making a PC game?"

Guess so. As long as the game had an retro Atari feel Id check it out. Lower cost to developers and distribute those types of games and have them in a community with Atariboxes would be nice IMO.

Thanks for the F bomb, that always adds so much to a conversation.

• Like 1

Todd Shallbetter C.O.O Distribution

-Strong knowledge of Atari's historical and future businesses.

So, he basically can see the future? Wow. It's like Avengers or something. With guys like that onboard, how could they possibly fail?

I mean, okay, we probably are a bunch of schadenfreude-addled sad circlejerking trolls, and posting here is a bad thing. But, by gods, the entertainment value this whole debacle provides is just too delicious :D Comedy gold feed.

Todd Shallbetter, the corporate seer. You couldn't make it up. Mike Judge, South Park and The Office writers should take notice.

• Like 1

I can explain that to you, when you homebrew a game, you are not receiving a hefty salary. You get none.

Trust me, I started homebrewing Amiga games in the mid 80's, big difference.

• Like 4

Much like passive-aggressive sanctimoniousness does.

Expressing my desire for an Ataribox that does what my post states does not display passive aggressive behavior in anyway.

The emotional investment some have in hating this item is just weird to me. To them anybody who does not join in said hate is attacked.

Time for me to move on to more rational subjects. This one has went beyond the point of reasonable open conversation for some on both sides.

• Like 3

Expressing my desire for an Ataribox that does what my post states does not display passive aggressive behavior in anyway.

The emotional investment some have in hating this item is just weird to me. To them anybody who does not join in said hate is attacked.

Time for me to move on to more rational subjects. This one has went beyond the point of reasonable open conversation for some on both sides.

My reply had nothing to do with your hardware desires.

• Like 1

Homebrew is a term frequently applied to video games or other software produced by consumers to target proprietary hardware platforms (usually with hardware restrictions) not typically user-programmable or that use proprietary storage methods. This can include games developed with official development kits, such as Net Yaroze, Linux for PlayStation 2 or Microsoft XNA.] A game written by a non-professional developer for a system intended to be consumer-programmable, like the Commodore 64, is simply called hobbyist (rather than homebrew).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrew_(video_games)

As a Semantic Pedant, I'll stick with this definition.

• Like 3

Id just be interested in existing games myself. Id love the ability to download and play games from all past Atari consoles and computers. Both games by Atari and other publishers. Playing them on an Atari branded nice looking box would be sweet. Now they would have to be reasonably priced. Maybe $2 - $10 depending on the game.

But Im most likely in the minority on being willing to buy a VCS and then buy old games for it.

Im dreaming, but hey at least its dreaming bout something cool :0

There is a homebrew community for Atari 'boxes' it's called AtariAge ;)

• Like 1

I think the problem is that Atari can't get off their butt and give more to the public.

The 'haters' have been shown zero to prove to them wrong in at least Atari's intentions.

The 'fanboys' seem for the most part to not acknowledge the 'warning signs' of this project.

It is like a standoff with nothing to prove anything at this moment. I do think most of the 'haters' would love to see a mew Atari system. I think they have been burned enough that there is no free pass from cheap talk. Which is honestly all Atari has given. There is no prototype, it is being made by a group who has never made anything, and it appears they were hoping to exploit those nostalgic for the Atari than put out something legitimate.

• Like 8

*chuckles* .. they call it "hating' ... still.. after everything that's happened... they still try to be "objective" ...

Seriously, is Atari literally going to have to say, "We punked you" before those either erring on fanboyism or objectivism will say, "Gee, maybe this thing was a scam?"

-Thom

• Like 4

Too bad the new VCS isn't going to run Windows. Atari could put a "You HAVE played Atari today" tune during the shutdown process.... and show some ads for new games and groceries and cars and stuff... download some updates....display some links to their next crowd funding thing.....

How is that for giving them ideas. :D

• Like 1

Unfortunately, there's precedent for them to draw from.

The Atari Jaguar is so powerful, it can display a whole 3D Cube! With Texture Mapping!

(Still, It didn't play the music at the same time it was displaying that cube.)

;)

EDIT: 1,000th post.

Edited by pacman000
  • Like 3