IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Perhaps there is a long gap between updates because they probably don't bring "the team" together very often. Hence the "summit."

Are you kidding about the bubblewrap? They made such a point of their thermal tests, with bold lettering when they used big words, because people who crowdfund video game consoles from dead brands need all the help they can get.

It's both empirically and analytically stupid to leave your one-of-a-kind test board on the bubble wrap used to ship it to you. It might not catch fire, but it will melt and stink and make a mess if the CPU is doing anything more rigorous than emulating 1980 Centipede.

Maybe they didn't leave it on the shipping materials the whole time, but that's how they show it in every single picture, across 2 costume changes if not 2 days of actual work. They had time to stage something less stupid, but they didn't.

They blurred out the text on the board because the internet is good at sniffing out bullshit. If their dev board is not what they say it is, not revealing part numbers will slow down the discovery of the truth. Or they can hand-wave it away with

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-29 at 1.06.12 PM.png

That's one way of looking at it. Or, it's kind of sad that a once-legendary brand has stooped to this level.

True, yeah.. Without video to actually see what's going on, for all we know they may have only had it there for a couple minutes, then moved it. Or they mistakenly left it there and soon after one guy might be like "GAH why am I smelling almonds?"

• Like 1

I have't replied on this topic yet because I just wasn't that interested. But I totally didn't know it was going to include Biometrics?! WTH?!

Probably this. https://www.synaptics.com/company/news/amd-secure-pc

SAN JOSE, Calif., – July 11, 2018 – Synaptics Incorporated (NASDAQ: SYNA), the leading developer of human interface solutions, together with AMD, today announced a joint initiative centered on delivering a new industry benchmark in highly-secure biometric fingerprint authentication for enterprise/commercial and consumer notebook PCs based on next-generation AMD Ryzen™ Mobile platform and Microsoft’s next-generation operating system. The collaboration brings a new level of security for AMD-based laptops by leveraging Synaptics’ unique FS7600 Match-in-Sensor™ fingerprint sensor technology with powerful AMD Ryzen Mobile processors, and Microsoft’s forthcoming biometric security OS including Windows Hello.

Synaptics’ Match-in-Sensor™ technology is the industry’s first fully hardware encapsulated fingerprint sensor and matching solution. Hardened authentication is literally “off the grid”, isolating fingerprint image enrollment, pattern storage and biometric matching within the fingerprint sensor to provide best-in-class protection against on-device threats. Match-in-Sensor fingerprint authentication is a System-on-Chip (SoC) architecture in which a single device performs both input/output functions with an in-sensor microprocessor executing firmware. By performing security sensitive functions completely inside the SoC, Match-in-Sensor adds a new level of security due to total isolation from the host operating system.

The "Atari" update explains it, assuming everything they say is true:

The first thing you might notice is the size of the board, its actually about 18 inches wide — far larger than the actual VCS boards will be. These test boards are extra large to allow the system engineers full access to the capabilities of the board, including extra sensors and features for testing that will not be on the final production boards.

One of the most critical aspects at this stage is calculating thermal load under various power draw scenarios. The VCS engineering team ultimately needs to determine how much horsepower they can fit “under the hood” given the planned design and dimensions of the Atari VCS. The goal is for the AMD APU to run as fast and with as much consistent power as possible, without overheating inside the Atari VCS cabinet.

Our engineers are currently tackling the thermal solution task by studying it from two directions: 1) empirically, by taking actual power measurements and recording performance on the AMD boards, and 2) analytically, through thermal modeling of various operating scenarios. These power measurements are fed into various thermal models to validate and increase confidence in the simulation results.

So this basically amounts to them admitting that they didn't have a prototype till now, right?

Why would I be impressed with a company doing things out of a "garage" unless it was a startup company which even then, the garage would not impress me. I have a garage, I do stuff in there and I'm not impressed by the stuff I do in my garage :)

https://youtube.com/3ldOTw60Ozg?t=37m24s

Edited by pacman000
  • Like 4

So why do you think they felt the need to obscure the chipset and component dates? We already know it's running circa 2016 tech. Are they concerned about being caught in another lie about the custom board just for their new high tech project?

Would you have stuff you don't need and never plan to implement onto a prototype PCB? Seems overly expensive for no good reason.

Looks like a generic laptop main board to me...

• Like 1

In Pirate Speak...

th' Atari VCS project team recently came together fer a three-day session t' review th' latest progress o' th' hardware and software development and we want t' share some o' th' behind th' scenes scoop. Havin' design, engineerin', OS, UI/UX, games, and strategic partnerships teams all under one roof workin' and iteratin' together always yields fantastic results. We even invited some o' our external partners by t' play some Linux games on our latest AMD test board. As always, we can’t reveal everythin' that be goin' on at this time, but we will share as much possible without discussin' anythin' too sensitive. This be our standard obligatory disclaimer, due t' competitive concerns and/or subject t' th' various non-disclosure agreements that we have in place. Shiver me timbers, and a bucket o' chum! Our prototype VCS hardware be a custom AMD development board, with th' Bristol Ridge processor and 8 gigabytes o' RAM. Splice the mainbrace! th' first thin' ye might notice be th' size o' th' board, its actually about 18 inches wide — far larger than th' actual VCS boards will be. These test boards be extra large t' allow th' system engineers full access t' th' capabilities o' th' board, includin' extra sensors and features fer testin' that will not be on th' final production boards. One o' th' most critical aspects at this stage be calculatin' thermal load under various power draw scenarios. th' VCS engineerin' team ultimately needs t' determine how much horsepower they can fit “under th' hood” given th' planned design and dimensions o' th' Atari VCS. th' goal be fer th' AMD APU t' run as fast and with as much consistent power as possible, without overheatin' inside th' Atari VCS cabinet, with a chest full of booty. Our engineers be currently tacklin' th' thermal solution task by studyin' it from two directions: 1) empirically, by takin' actual power measurements and recordin' performance on th' AMD boards, and 2) analytically, through thermal modelin' o' various operatin' scenarios. These power measurements be fed into various thermal models t' validate and increase confidence in th' simulation results, to be sure. th' final enclosure design o' th' Atari VCS needs t' accommodate and vent all th' power and heat th' silicon can handle and th' team will make countless adjustments as necessary before final production begins. From there, th' team will further optimize fer cost, size, and performance, and a bucket o' chum. Sounds complicated? It definitely can be! Yaaarrrrr! It’s a highly iterative refinement process that takes time and lots o' testin' and iteration t' get exactly right. We would ne'er forget an update about th' Atari Classic Joystick and Atari Modern Controller! th' Engineerin' team be workin' with our partners at Power A t' finalize th' industrial design and hardware functionality. For those who be unfamiliar; Power A be one o' th' industry’s leadin' 3rd party console peripheral makers, with experience makin' high-quality licensed controllers and accessories fer all th' major game systems. They be massive Atari fans and creative product engineers who be knowin' what modern console gamers like and expect from their gear. For th' Atari Classic Joystick, th' team has been explorin' th' much-requested “paddle” integration, and we be hopeful that we will be able t' 100% confirm this upgrade sometime soon, by Blackbeard's sword. For now, th' official word be that th' new joystick still functions as it has been depicted thus far. th' Atari Modern Controller be compatible with and based on Power A’s Xbox One/PC controllers, with th' primary difference bein' th' inclusion o' wireless Bluetooth t' th' VCS, and a bucket o' chum. Aftermarket Xbox One licensed controllers be all wired t' th' console, as Microsoft keeps th' wireless fer themselves, and a bucket o' chum. Since Xbox controllers will work fer PC, we be able t' use them fer testin' behind th' scenes while we wait fer new iterations o' our dedicated version. Sculptin' and colorin' o' th' Atari model be bein' finalized so that all th' finished pieces will look like a family. th' hardware team be also workin' with Power A t' finalize th' battery options fer both th' Classic Joystick and Modern Controller, t' get th' biggest, most efficient and longest-lastin' power supply into th' housin's, while balancin' cost and other manufacturin' considerations — basically, makin' sure everythin' looks and feels awesome together, hopefully livin' up t' th' high expectations we all have fer th' project, with a chest full of booty! So what games and apps did our engineers show and share as demo’s at th' recent ”summit?” There were bein' Atari Vault o' course, plus numerous third-party Linux games and several video streamin' apps, runnin' on th' Atari VCS hardware in full HD. Fire the cannons! Ahoy! Many favorites be already runnin' well on our non-optimized AMD test boards in th' lab, with many more bein' tested all th' time. These include a variety o' test titles such as Rocket League, Terraria, Basketball Classics, Borderlands 2, Broforce, Smugglecraft, Dropsy, Banner Saga, Shadow Warrior, and several others. th' business development team be in conversation with many large and small studios, publishers and content providers about gettin' their games and entertainment into th' VCS store, and there be a lot o' excitement aroun' these discussions. We be eager t' share more about specific games that will be available on Atari VCS as we get closer t' our 2019 launch date. In th' meantime, we hope t' first release more details in th' next month or two about how th' Atari VCS SDK and developer program will work. In addition t' th' games library, th' Atari VCS team be workin' on gettin' standalone apps up and runnin' fer some o' yer favorite video and music services, to be sure. These will include fully integrated video and music services, includin' Twitch, Netflix, Amazon Video and Amazon Music, YouTube, Spotify, and others. And swab the deck! So, that’s whar we be now. Thanks fer readin', and dinna spare the whip! We be knowin' we don’t always answer every question people have, but we do always endeavor t' provide as much interestin' new information as we can, by Davy Jones' locker. th' Atari VCS launch be a short year away, and a lot can, and probably will change as th' team continues t' refine its plans. We sincerely appreciate yer trust and faith in Atari, and can’t wait t' be tellin' ye more when we can, I'll warrant ye! This project be really fer ye — th' loyal fans and backers who continue t' support and appreciate th' challenge and process o' bringin' Atari back t' th' livin' room. We be committed t' gettin' this right fer ye, our passionate community, and we will. And hoist the mainsail! Onward and upward! th' Atari VCS Team

• Like 4

So why do you think they felt the need to obscure the chipset and component dates? We already know it's running circa 2016 tech. Are they concerned about being caught in another lie about the custom board just for their new high tech project?

After checking out the pictures, it's just a stock AMD CPU development board. There's nothing Atari-custom about it. All they did was buy / loan a dev board from AMD, install an operating system and run existing applications. This is little more than someone buying a motherboard from Newegg, plugging some things into it, installing Windows and running Steam. This must've taken them what, 4-5 hours tops?

You can see a similar dev board here for another AMD CPU:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-shows-32nm-fusion-llano-apus-running-avp_1443

They photoshopped out the part/model number, because you'd been able to search for it and see that it's just a stock board AMD uses for development. If this was designed for Atari, wouldn't it have their name/logo on it?

This is barely one step up from the Chameleon- they showed off a PCI card. Atari's just showing off the motherboard instead of an expansion card. :-)

Hah, for kicks I searched ebay. This board looks extremely similar (albeit in red instead of green), but most of the stuff is in the same place. The same power supplies, little plug in boards, heatsink/fan, connectors, parts, the works. Checking the stuff they photoshopped out, one of the things is the date. I think it is just about readable near the ©. So much for a "prototype"!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Gardenia-109-C75111-00B-02-Evaluation-Board-for-Merlin-Falcon/282942630214?epid=22018654408&hash=item41e0b1e946:g:~LkAAOSwpFda441m

I am not sure what the extensions on their PCB are, with all the jumpers and connectors, but it seems "added on" to the above ebay board's design. All the little buttons/connectors/jumpers all match up between the two boards. I am curious now what CPU that really is now. Them photoshopping the name/number off is quite suspicious, because it has the part number and chip name, going by the ebay board. I just can't get over how the two boards are nearly identical... lol.

• Like 13

Hey guys, I hate to tell you this, but there is a friend of mine in the picture. I have known him for 25+ years and he is neither dumb or drinks KoolAid. This project is going to happen, otherwise he would not be standing there.

• Like 9

That's exactly what I suspect. I didn't find the same exact board yet, but I don't see anything custom there. Looks like a generic test board kit to test performance of computer components. Given they're using a pretty old CPU that is getting pulled from the market now, I don't buy their shtick. These guys are increasingly full of crap, yet their supporters choose to believe every thinly veiled lie. This is going to build up to some pretty pissed backers.

• Like 4

Hey guys, I hate to tell you this, but there is a friend of mine in the picture. I have known him for 25+ years and he is neither dumb or drinks KoolAid. This project is going to happen, otherwise he would not be standing there.

I don't question the ability to do what they propose. It's still a past gen laptop board in a plastic box. One would hope they can can make that work. I question everything their marketing schills are putting out to stir interest and build buzz. They really haven't promised much of anything except to deliver a Linux PC with an aftermarket stick. Why's it gotta take them another year I have no idea. All this does is prove they've had a big fat nothing up until now while telling people they want money from that they had "test" boards and suggested pretty hard they were running from the box for the last several months. It's a con job from start to finish.

And if you look closely at their hatchet job obscuring the copyright date on their board, it sure looks like the year begins with a 2 and ends with a 4 just like the Gardenia Board copyrighted 2014. That in itself proves nothing in that AMD probably placed a specific CPU or chipset chip on a generic evaluation board. They call it custom design and testing to continue the bullshit parade.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 5

Out of curiosity, would you mind asking him why he feels this project is one worth being involved with? I'd be genuinely interested in hearing an insider perspective on this that isn't obvious PR.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, would you mind asking him why he feels this project is one worth being involved with? I'd be genuinely interested in hearing an insider perspective on this that isn't obvious PR.

They are all pretty passionate about it, apparently. He doesn't work with idiots, he, just like me, has been a programmer for over 30 years. We've seen and experienced a lot of incompetent people, so I doubt he would be working with them, if he believed this couldn't be pulled off.

• Like 6

From Glassdoor:

"Pros

A lot of good people trying to do good things.

A lot of interesting IP.

A lot of opportunity for motivated people.

Cons

Unrealistic & unachievable expectations given constraints.

Short cuts were taken on projects due to schedule and budget issues.

A lot of fire drills.

A lot of priorities shifting without actually thinking through consequences.

Advice to Management

Plot your course carefully and be realistic about what is achievable. Don't hold people accountable for things that you've signed up for that were never possibilities."

Why are there a lot of fire drills? Do they do all thier heat tests on bubble wrap?

• Like 3

They are all pretty passionate about it, apparently. He doesn't work with idiots, he, just like me, has been a programmer for over 30 years. We've seen and experienced a lot of incompetent people, so I doubt he would be working with them, if he believed this couldn't be pulled off.

That's a pretty fair answer, all things considered. Thanks!

I'd be curious to know what the structure is there. I'd assume your friend works for another company under contract with Atari. If there are competant folks working on the hardware, I would expect them to see it as a very attainable project at this point. The problem is the idiots are the Atari suits who will almost certainly piss the builders off at some point in the process and force them to compromise or deliver something idiotic midway through development.