IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I don't know about that. This seemed like an easy $3,000,000. And they didn't have do to anything. No board, no specs, no gameplay, no games (games playing not on their platform don't count). If they can't show anything other than a controller on their next update I would back out if I had pledged. Assuming Atari will give it back of course.

Literally everything Atari said through this process said "risk averse". They didn't want to invest any of their own time, money, or resources into the Taco. Lifting so much as a finger without a guaranteed check in the bank went against everything the project stood for. I tend to agree that a real effort would have yeilded even more money (as evidenced by the long-term return seen on the Flashbacks) but that requires things like "patience" and "confidence in a good product".

• Like 7

Well, at least it exists and mostly works at this point. I can give them credit for that. On the other hand, there is that other Atari based project that needs a taco post from me....

Thank you for reminding me. I saw this in the parking lot the other day on my lunchbreak and thought about you guys.

Owner of this vehicle seems exactly like the type of customer base these yahoos are trying to corner. :rolling: :thumbsup:

post-33189-0-12095400-1535324307.jpg

Unless said owner also happens to be the owner of the Taco joint next door, that is. I need to try out that place sometime... :P

post-33189-0-39778900-1535325464_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That chimp seems more active than "Atari" in reality (note that I cannot say "real Atari")

Holger Kipp

3 hours ago

I guess Atari first needs to finalize the hardware specs, finish the 2nd prototype and complete the design validation testing. This is planned for Q3/2018, so till end of September this year.

They got our requests, questions for Rob, wishlist of games, but it is not only the hardware, but also software, OS, infrastructure etc. that is needed. And presumably no game company wants to be associated with products not even there.

Till then, Atari presumably cant really tell any news ;-)

• Like 4

Meanwhile, back in the real world, here are some real Atari™ branded game playing thingamabobs that you can go into a store, right now, and buy! And, I might add, for much, much less than Nutari™ is asking for their vague hopes, dreams and promises sometime near the end of next year.

post-4305-0-93336700-1535378770.jpg

post-4305-0-75761300-1535378780.jpg

post-4305-0-54552600-1535378789.jpg

Well, that last one was there the last time I was at this particular establishment, which probably means they forgot to restock it (pretty typical for this place). Seems that obviously someone was willing to part with their cash for it. :)

As for the Atacobox™, seems like P.T. Barnum was right: a sucker is born every minute. :D

• Like 2

Meanwhile, back in the real world, here are some real Atari™ branded game playing thingamabobs that you can go into a store, right now, and buy! And, I might add, for much, much less than Nutari™ is asking for their vague hopes, dreams and promises sometime near the end of next year.

attachicon.gifflashback-8.jpg

attachicon.gifflashback-8-gold.jpg

attachicon.gifflashback-portable.jpg

Well, that last one was there the last time I was at this particular establishment, which probably means they forgot to restock it (pretty typical for this place). Seems that obviously someone was willing to part with their cash for it. :)

As for the Atacobox™, seems like P.T. Barnum was right: a sucker is born every minute. :D

Not sure if that's the ATGames model or not, but if it is I refuse to support them in any way. They butcher the Sega Genesis Flashback consoles.

Edited by Lodmot

Back in sad groupie land, folks are attempting to rationalize their decisions and wrestle with regret already.

Somebody should really break it to them that all their questions and concerns are addressed with one simple statement: "Atari got your money already.", or put more simply, "No refunds."

thumbnail-deaf450c2d4183b9309b493f6a7b20
Chris Barbagallo1 hour ago

Still don’t understand why there isn’t a proper games list, yet.

Tommy O'Neil3 hours ago

@Holger Kipp
Well, they actually could tell us their current tasks, or a progress vlog, or a tour of their offices to kinda warm us up to them. But they don’t want to do that for some reason, After all, they were supposed to be about involving the community. Not to mention, this console was also supposedly “years in the making”, so wouldn’t all of this have been ready by now?

Holger Kipp8 hours ago

I guess Atari first needs to finalize the hardware specs, finish the 2nd prototype and complete the design validation testing. This is planned for Q3/2018, so till end of September this year.

They got our requests, questions for Rob, wishlist of games, but it is not only the hardware, but also software, OS, infrastructure etc. that is needed. And presumably no game company wants to be associated with products not even there.

Till then, Atari presumably can’t really tell any news ;-)

Tommy O'Neil1 day ago

@Alec Roberts
That’s an amazingly bad tactic to try and get people enthusiastic about your platform. I’m no marketing guy, so maybe I’m wrong. It just seems highly illogical to me though. I would think that Atari should’ve announced some more actual games for their console if they wanted to develop any kind of interest from….. well…. gamers….. lol….

TJ A.2 days ago

And it would make huge sense if Atari would give us constant updates.
They always insisted that the reason for crowdfunding is because they want to involve the Fans into the process.

• Like 5

I'll be honest, after being away for five months I am a little surprised the taco thing has stuck around.

Not, like, shocked. But a teensy bit surprised.

Fair point.

But are you surprised that the Ataribox has, in that same time frame, shown absolutely zero progress towards becoming a real thing?

• Like 5

Back in sad groupie land, folks are attempting to rationalize their decisions and wrestle with regret already.

Somebody should really break it to them that all their questions and concerns are addressed with one simple statement: "Atari got your money already.", or put more simply, "No refunds."

Tommy O'Neil3 hours ago

@Holger Kipp

Well, they actually could tell us their current tasks, or a progress vlog, or a tour of their offices to kinda warm us up to them. But they don’t want to do that for some reason, After all, they were supposed to be about involving the community. Not to mention, this console was also supposedly “years in the making”, so wouldn’t all of this have been ready by now?

Holger Kipp8 hours ago

Tommy O'Neil1 day ago

@Alec Roberts

That’s an amazingly bad tactic to try and get people enthusiastic about your platform. I’m no marketing guy, so maybe I’m wrong. It just seems highly illogical to me though. I would think that Atari should’ve announced some more actual games for their console if they wanted to develop any kind of interest from….. well…. gamers….. lol….

TJ A.2 days ago

They always insisted that the reason for crowdfunding is because they want to involve the Fans into the process.

Yeah... It's too bad Atari don't actually really like money all that much. :P

They could've made a lot more if they just gave people what they've been asking for-- more frequent updates, announcements on actual exclusive game content, etc. Apparently that's not what they wanted to do. So instead of like potentially making 10+ million dollars and pleasing their audience, they only snatched 3 million (actually less if you take out what they owe Uncle Sam) and now nobody's happy. Oh well. :3

The corporate mindset is so illogical, don't you think?

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

Fair point.

But are you surprised that the Ataribox has, in that same time frame, shown absolutely zero progress towards becoming a real thing?

Not in the slightest. That's part of the reason why I wasn't around ;) .

Still looks pretty, still hasn't shown an ounce of real and tangible design that will let it carve out a niche imho. It reminds me of when I was a kid and I would 'design' my own video game consoles. I always nailed the eight year old aesthetics, but when it came to anything more complicated that that they were always just empty cardboard boxes.

Then again, I wasn't kickstarting these things.

But evidently I'm not the market, since the campaign went fine funding-wise. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My concern would be that many backers were backing to own a cool looking Netflix box, while many others were effectively gambling - if it succeeds in any niche, they make money. High risk, high (potential) reward tech speculatin'. If I'm right and this is indeed the case, the attach rate for actual games will probably be very weak. And you can't support a video game console that noone will buy games for. Just ask the PSP.

Who knows. If it actually comes out on time and reviews are great and everyone is happy and there's egg on all our faces, I'll be happy for it. I really will. But the warning bells were sounded pre-indiegogo launch, folks were warned to be skeptical, now we just wait and see.

• Like 1

I want to play PUNG. It sounds dirty.

I hear they have great versions of:

Mood Petrol

Crazy Klinger

Hobotron

Wallaby

Shovel-Shoveled

AC - The Additional Celestial

Luggage Dude

Searchers of the Miss-placed Box

Mule Godzilla

Herbert

Stream Assault

Ray's Comeuppance

and

Kablooey!

• Like 2

I hear they have great versions of:

AC - The Additional Celestial

Ray's Comeuppance

I lol'ed

I'm also partial to

Wombat

Mild Amusement with Integers

Gambling House

Telling Your Machine To Do Limited Things In Three Lines of Code

Edited by Inky
  • Like 5

Tommy O'Neil3 hours ago

@Holger Kipp

Holger Kipp8 hours ago

Tommy O'Neil1 day ago

@Alec Roberts

TJ A.2 days ago

they're gettin' restless on FB too:

post-52262-0-20247200-1535407278.png

• Like 4