IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

From what I have seen this is how Atari should have done their campaign.

I agree. I can't blame Intellivision for trying to create pre-pre-announcement hype; that's the way marketing seems to work today, and they want to get noticed. Unlike "Atari" and "Coleco," the people behind Intellivision have always been open and approachable, and I like the fact that they're willing to spend their own money and take a risk on their own venture instead of going the crowdfunding route. I'm eager to see what they've come up with!

• Like 11

Same here regarding crowdfunding. I will wait until everything is fully baked and fully being produced. Definitely all of the projects out there are intriguing, but we will just have to wait and see how they all flesh out.

Yes, people seem to be jumping into the fire with the coleco projects but remember, the last guy that did this we trusted until we couldn't trust him anymore ... i'm just gonna sit back and wait. Fuck crowdfunding :)

• Like 2

If Atarigrames had made a video that well done, I might have donated to their campaign just for the entertainment value of it.

I'm not going to buy a $20 straw, but if I did, I'd get the Shark-Butt Grey one.

AtariSA really needs to get a sense of humor about themselves. "Onyx" for the all-black Ataribox? Too pretentious. How about "Landfill Sludge Black"? Or why not state that every Ataribox will contain at least .05% recycled E.T. carts by weight?

Video games should be fun. Atari used to get that.

• Like 7

Bounty offered: a Marvel No-Prize to anyone who can confirm or deny this crazy rumor, that "Atari's" Rob Wyatt used to work on the Playmaji/Retroblox/Polymega/Nosepicker3000, and came up with the "hybrid emulation" concept.

Edit:

Offer rescinded. Here's Wyatt's patent application.

from the Retroblox thread

the document itself

Seems to me (random idiot, not a lawyer) that AtariBox could be a shady way to bring something to market that would enable Atari to sue a whole new class of infringers, maybe some with deep pockets?

• Like 4

Bounty offered: a Marvel No-Prize to anyone who can confirm or deny this crazy rumor, that "Atari's" Rob Wyatt used to work on the Playmaji/Retroblox/Polymega/Nosepicker3000, and came up with the "hybrid emulation" concept.

Edit:

Offer rescinded. Here's Wyatt's patent application.

from the Retroblox thread

the document itself

Seems to me (random idiot, not a lawyer) that AtariBox could be a shady way to bring something to market that would enable Atari to sue a whole new class of infringers, maybe some with deep pockets?

I don't think Atari will be suing anyone based on that patent as it's not in their name. Rather, Push-Run Holdings - the company behind the Polymega - owns it, so they'd be the ones to do so.

Still, creating a patent for a vapourware games console and trolling anyone who actually manages to bring the concept to market sounds like it has potential.

Still who in their right mind is going to knock-off the idea behind the Polymega?

• Like 3

I agree. I believe Intellivision seems to be doing things the (more or less) right way. However, any project whether it be the new Intellivision, Opcode's Project Omni, or CollectorVision's new ColecoVision console needs to be met with some skepticism and honest assessment of matters.

Opcode's Omni has a very talented designer and a good company behind it. Unfortunately, all we have right now all we have is a prototype image, so hopefully we will get to see more in the very near future.

The CollectorVision console seems pretty far into development, plus you've got another great team working on the project. They seem to have a viable prototype. I'd bet it comes to market long before Opcode.

With all that said, I still have the most confidence in the Intellivision project, and that's only bolstered by their participation with PRGE. It's the best retro gaming expo in the country. The people behind it, particularly Rick Weiss, are really decent folks with a lot of integrity. Their name is also on the line here, and I'm sure it will be shared in all the announcement press. As soon as I knew they were going to partner with PRGE for the reveal I knew they had something good. Rick has probably even seen that product in advance.

tl:dr Tommy Tallarico has shit together and Rick Weis is a smart fellow.

That animated gif is hypnotizing. TA-DA! It's like a magic wand. I also think a good "booooiiiiinnnnnngggg" joke would have worked here.

Fun fact: Aside from tacos, drinking through straws is a leading cause of gas.

Who walks the streets of LA and collects straws AND doesn't wear any gloves???? I don't trust those people :)

At least one third of those straws have been used to snort cocaine.

• Like 3

I don't think Atari will be suing anyone based on that patent as it's not in their name. Rather, Push-Run Holdings - the company behind the Polymega - owns it, so they'd be the ones to do so.

Still, creating a patent for a vapourware games console and trolling anyone who actually manages to bring the concept to market sounds like it has potential.

Still who in their right mind is going to knock-off the idea behind the Polymega?

According to PolyMega, it's already happening!

I'd have thought that the overriding theme of this discussion so far is that showing a few rigged demos and taking pre-orders is a long way from "happening."

I mean, PolyMega has said the reason they didn't release any specs was because they were seeing "open-source knockoffs" based on their ideas. How this jives with the fact that PolyMega couldn't make their own idea work, and are themselves using open source materials remains to be seen.

• Like 5

I mean, PolyMega has said the reason they didn't release any specs was because they were seeing "open-source knockoffs" based on their ideas. How this jives with the fact that PolyMega couldn't make their own idea work, and are themselves using open source materials remains to be seen.

Perhaps they just mean that anyone can hook up a CD drive to a Raspberry Pi and run ripping software and emulators on it?

Perhaps they just mean that anyone can hook up a CD drive to a Raspberry Pi and run ripping software and emulators on it?

Well, if that tidbit of information means you don't want to talk about your product, maybe your idea isn't so hot to start with.

• Like 3

Looks like China is getting an Ataribox-type stripped-down game PC

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-hands-on-with-subor-z-plus-ryzen-vega-chinese-console

It runs Windows 10 and has better hardware specs (Ryzen) than "That Ataribox," of course, and it's available now. Review mentions Battlefield 1 and Destiny 2, which I assume won't run on Wyatt's thing

• Like 2

So for some perspective on the current Ataribox progress, let us look at the last bold gaming crowd funder that everyone was sure would be a huge success. This is the one on the better crowd funding site from the guys who had a hugely successful project and retail product on store shelves previously. How could anything go wrong? Let's ask the happy funding partners who were an important part of making it all happen.

I give you the happy backers of the Game Band....

Hit it Johnny, and a one, and a two...

• “In short: experienced partners, experienced team, solid design, stable components, achievable plan and.... open communication.

....because don't get us wrong, things WILL go wrong. That is the nature of bringing new things to market. What we can promise is that we will communicate. We will tell you what is going on. We will tell you the risks. We will tell you the problems. We will tell you the wins. We will ask for feedback.” From update number 4 when they bragged about how amazing they were and how they were gonna kill it. I got bored and read the old updates looking for the “small successes” and they really are small. The only thing we ever actually saw was a beta of the companion app and “FearOs” on a EVT unit. No games, no Pixel Furnace, no assembled watch. Nothing. They literally got nothing done before their silence. The silence that they swore up and down would never happen. I dunno. I wish I’d done more research before backing this thing cause I never would have backed it. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 but there was so many red flags and looking at it now, they’re so f#@king obvious.

• Chris Forsythe 1 day ago

I wish Kickstarter could do something about making these scum bag scam artists to refund our money, or at the very least, GIVE US THE F#@KING WATCH that they promised us. This campaign is the one reason that I don't back projects on here anymore, and it's a shame, there are a lot of cool things that I would love to back, but this project has given me a sort of PTSD with backing projects. They need to give back the over three thousand dollars back to the over one thousand of us that tossed money at it. I should have just taken the 150 USD that I used to back this thing and toss it into a fire, then I would have at least gotten a little bit more use out of it for warmth.

• mizz141 2 days ago

I was eager getting my Watch, As a Student it was really hard to earn this much money I backed the DROID Edition and was really hyped for it... the Updates were there and everything was looking great! now its just silence, My money gone, my watch gone, all I want is my money back, not even a watch, I dont even care about this project anymore, it was my first EVER project backed here on Kickstarter, since then I backed multiple more and multiples of them are either still updating or have shipped, and then, there is Feargal Mac, the founder This LITTLE F#@KING PEACE OF F#@KS WHICH STILE ALL OF OUR F#@KING MONEY AND STILL DOESNT EVEN COMMENT! THIS SIMPLY IS PURE AUTISTIC GARBAGE! F#@K YOU! F#@K FEARGAL, F#@K THIS SHITTY SDK, F#@K PEOPLE, F#@CK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS F#@KING PROJECT! AND GOODBYE!

• Chris Hill 3 days ago

One word: THEIVES.

• Jeremy Snyder 4 days ago

definitely not the most powerful smartwatch anymore.........even if it came out now the hardware is probably over a year out of date now

• NoFaceNico 5 days ago

Well, the most powerful smartwatch is already on the road to obsolescence. Heh.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/10/17820350/snapdragon-wear-3100-wear-os-smartwatch-chip-qualcomm-android

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 7