IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Yes it surfaces out to the "more diffuse" atmosphere. That's why sealed computers don't yellow much, a little bit of bromine escapes to the atmosphere, gets trapped in the bag, and the outgassing stops. The color stays.

It's also why retrobrite is temporary and only good for a few years. The outgassing begins again as more finds its way to the surface. If you use a sealer, that's good, stops the outgassing..

Well plastic diffuses gas over time so a poly based clear coat would do likewise. It has been suggested that not only is the retrobrite process temporary, but can accelerate the brittling process of the plastics. Best to let it be and not subject it to a chemical bath full of oxidizers and bleaching agents. Just like old wood or bronze antiques develop a patina with time, so do plastics. Sanding and refinishing antique furniture is a no-no, so collectors should not be applying "retro brite" or any other proprietary formulation that claims to brighten plastics, to their consoles.

My SNES still has it's original light gray patina so was not affected by the improper plastics batch. If I did have a yellowed SNES, I'd probably paint it in Mardi Gras colors... :D

So, is it a myth that exposure to ultraviolet light plays a part in the yellowing?

The bromine effect is different. My NES and my NES advantage have sun tans. The yellow plague SNES consoles will show yellowing inside and out due to diffusion and oxidation from the atmosphere which occurs regardless of light exposure. the consoles with proper formulation didn't do that. It was a large manufacturing batch of light gray ABS plastic that was affected, probably several rail cars full of bad pellets. Top, bottom, and other shell parts often came from different plastics batches which is why we have so many Neapolitan consoles. It seems to mostly affect North American consoles but I've seen it on carts and controllers less frequently.

If anyone owns multiple yellowed SNES consoles, it would be fun to mix and match the shell plastics to make a solid yellow console with all parts from the bad batch, then resell the gray ones for profit. That would be cool IMO to own a solid yellow console with no gray pieces.

• Like 3

Yellowing is not nice to look at, but in the use of a console or computer it doesn`t matter much. But the chemical-smell-problem, which the Retron-3 has, is much more worse, because this brings some users (me also) to the fact, to stop using the Retron-3 in closed rooms.

And this is especially annoying, when you see the fact, how good the Retron-3 is from technical side. But Hyperkin destroyed the whole project, by using a bad stinky material. And it`s really astonishing, that this chemical-smell still not decreases after more than two years in the basement of the house here. :)

I ask myself, if there are Retron-3 users, which don`t care about the smell? Can not imagine somehow, but maybe some people use this clone outside or something? What did Hyperkin think they doing, by using a stinky case for a technical-brilliant clone? I even emailed them and asked exactly this question back in time. And then it was funny to read when they answered me, because they claimed that they didn`t knew this smell-problem and that nobodyof them or the other users has ever smelt a chemical-perspiration. But the smell is so strong, that everybody must notice it and you can read about the problem in the internet.

But luckily I have not found an entry in the internet about a Retron-5 smell. So i suppose, that they have used better plastic than on the Retron-3. Therefore i really hope, that they have understood the problem and give future consoles, like the Retron-77, a neutral material.

• Like 1

Yellowing is not nice to look at, but in the use of a console or computer it doesn`t matter much. But the chemical-smell-problem, which the Retron-3 has, is much more worse, because this brings some users (me also) to the fact, to stop using the Retron-3 in closed rooms.

And this is especially annoying, when you see the fact, how good the Retron-3 is from technical side. But Hyperkin destroyed the whole project, by using a bad stinky material. And it`s really astonishing, that this chemical-smell still not decreases after more than two years in the basement of the house here. :)

I ask myself, if there are Retron-3 users, which don`t care about the smell? Can not imagine somehow, but maybe some people use this clone outside or something? What did Hyperkin think they doing, by using a stinky case for a technical-brilliant clone? I even emailed them and asked exactly this question back in time. And then it was funny to read when they answered me, because they claimed that they didn`t knew this smell-problem and that nobodyof them or the other users has ever smelt a chemical-perspiration. But the smell is so strong, that everybody must notice it and you can read about the problem in the internet.

But luckily I have not found an entry in the internet about a Retron-5 smell. So i suppose, that they have used better plastic than on the Retron-3. Therefore i really hope, that they have understood the problem and give future consoles, like the Retron-77, a neutral material.

I remember my swim goggles I had as a kid had this distinctive odor. I think it was the now banned phthalates or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate

I teethed on this stuff as an infant and turned out okay.

First I'm sniffing a bit of my FC Mobile....Hmmm Not bad....Now I also have the Famicom version, What the hell is it called? I can't remember and the box is in Japanese...Grabbing a whiff....Seeing colors (!)...Next up Supaboy...inhale a dash..nope nothing...Now my Retro Duos...Smells like... Teen Spirit...Waitaminute! Wrong Company (Retro Bit...OK)...Puffing these reminds me that I see static humbars in S-Video...Hmmm...Grabbing the Mighty RetroN 5 Next...Gonna Huff that Puffer...**Dude don't bogard that console!** Taking a deep whiff....Hold it...Hold It...OK I'm seeing scenes from HEAVY METAL!! CooooooL! So Retrooooo! WHOOOOO!

• Like 4