IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

59 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Well, they just re-released Quake 2, and it comes with the N64 maps, but it's not quite the same...so I had to hook up the 64 and play the real thing for a bit B)

F31hXsDW4AAzY4u?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It was really cool to play the DM maps on PC with bots, though. I'm sure it's probably been a good number of years since I last played those, and I was surprised how much I remembered about them.
I might have to try with real people some time...

I tried it out specifically for the N64 version. I thought it was pretty neat to play with updated graphics. It's also really cool that you can toggle off texture filtering (for heathens). Also cool that they added an extra difficulty level. For me it wont replace the orginal but it's definitely fun to play it in a different way.

14 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

A remaster was released recently for PC and consoles. If you already have Quake 2 on GOG or Steam then the update is free.

Oh yeah I do, got tired of trying to get the old CDs to work right for the original and sequel.  Thanks.  I guess I'll have to remember to grab that.  I don't think it's the RTX one is it?  980 card won't do that if it's needing raytracing.

4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Oh yeah I do, got tired of trying to get the old CDs to work right for the original and sequel.  Thanks.  I guess I'll have to remember to grab that.  I don't think it's the RTX one is it?  980 card won't do that if it's needing raytracing.

Its an update to the base game. No RTX on this one

18 hours ago, M-S said:

Unfortunately physical editions are all by Limited Run Games and cost way more than the digital versions.

Yeah sadly so, and I don't want to order from them again.  Valis pt1 and 2 was forced, and I had a quake 1 order too which looking back I regret as well...switch is awesome, but that game needs a mouse and keyboard (facts!) for best play. :D

20 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Its an update to the base game. No RTX on this one

Strange I looked, and I see maybe they have a link issue.  I went into my game locker, saw the double listing of Quake II (guessing your mention) and Quake II (Original) but both go back to the same identical page under the quad pack.  That's strange, unless they just fouled up the link.  And that seems to be it, digging a bit I was able to download the game for myself, then did the install in the galaxy app.  Strangely, I have enhanced/regular on my drive, but the app won't recognize there is a quake 1 enhanced which sucks as there's zero link, but I use the original anyway since I have an original disc to use the nice licensed soundtrack.

32 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Strange I looked, and I see maybe they have a link issue.  I went into my game locker, saw the double listing of Quake II (guessing your mention) and Quake II (Original) but both go back to the same identical page under the quad pack.  That's strange, unless they just fouled up the link.  And that seems to be it, digging a bit I was able to download the game for myself, then did the install in the galaxy app.  Strangely, I have enhanced/regular on my drive, but the app won't recognize there is a quake 1 enhanced which sucks as there's zero link, but I use the original anyway since I have an original disc to use the nice licensed soundtrack.

I only use the offline installers ( I have absolutely zero interest in a client). So all I did was find the update through my games list and then updated and installed it. No problems

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:05 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

I tried it out specifically for the N64 version. I thought it was pretty neat to play with updated graphics. It's also really cool that you can toggle off texture filtering (for heathens). Also cool that they added an extra difficulty level. For me it wont replace the orginal but it's definitely fun to play it in a different way.

Yeah, I thought it was kind of weird that it's just a map pack running with all of the PC assets and code, I was expecting something more like DOOM 64. But like I said, just playing the DM maps again made it worth it (especially for the price of FREE).

I was experimenting with loading the 64 maps with the PC textures, and it doesn't look too shabby...I was talking to the devs about it, but I don't know if they're going to add them or not...
The Corridors textures probably have the biggest differences:

fte-20230821010125-0.pngfte-20230820233139-0.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Asaki

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 12:26 AM, SlidellMan said:

James Lambert implements MegaTextures on the N64. I think this man would make Manfred Trenz (Rainbow Arts) and Jon Burton (Traveller's Tales and 10:10 Games) proud.

Look at just about any game made by Factor 5 @_@
Especially with the expansion pak, you'd swear some of them were GC games.

IIRC Rare was doing something like multitextures too, but they couldn't quite figure out how to get high-res mode to work without the framerate taking a huge dive.

I don't remember if I had brought it up, but it has been a long local only(as a rule) crawl to find the Midway trio of games Dreamcast and N64 shared I wanted back.  One is the most expensive, the second is a bit less but still not a $10 game, then the last one is an under that game.  The games are Hydro Thunder, Gauntlet Legends, and Ready 2 Rumble Boxing.  Gauntlet I got early this year for a steal (20 vs 40+) for the cart, then maybe a month ago or so now I finally after a 2 year look found Hydro Thunder for like 10 off the epay rate so yay? at least.  Then the other day finally R2R pops up got it for $8 clean other than the rear sticker which sucked so I pulled the remains off.  They're fantastic releases, as fluid and well playing as their arcade/DC versions just with less polygons,  yet crazily they don't suffer for it, unlike the utterly miserable pieces of trash the PS1 copies were sadly for them.  I can't recommend them enough to anyone wanting a nice arcade game for the 64 that went well.

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the try and capture it again style refresh of quite old arcade games, by a long mile this one is the most honest, fun, and varied yet at the same time not varied since it really sticks well to the old format.  There was the X one on PS1 and it sucks compared to this, an unsung N64 gem.  I've sadly not seen a copy locally in years, I'd grab it.  I mean sure I could ebay it but what's the fun in doing that right?

• Like 1