IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

31 minutes ago, Black_Tiger said:

I only notice the actual dithering effects while outputting RGB video.

Now that someone has mentioned it, is modding the N64 for RGB worth it? My SNES looks amazing with RGB, but the n64 relies a lot on trilinear filtering for its textures and I'm wondering if RGB would make it look like a blurry mess.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 6:21 PM, The Mr. Video said:

Now that someone has mentioned it, is modding the N64 for RGB worth it? My SNES looks amazing with RGB, but the n64 relies a lot on trilinear filtering for its textures and I'm wondering if RGB would make it look like a blurry mess.

I have a N64 that has been modded for component video and it looks amazing on a CRT. It would be hard to go back to the standard S-video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hear Doubutsu no Mori completely sold out when it released, but it’s so barebones compared to the GameCube version. Hardly any holidays, no museum, no island. Odd.

What’s also odd is Nintendo debuting a new and very complex IP on a console that’s successor was only months from release. Like I know of it’s complex history with the genre shift and the N64DD, but still.

It’s just got such an odd history. It really shouldn’t have succeeded, but I’m very glad it did.

On 1/5/2024 at 5:20 PM, KidGameR186496 said:

Valve has issued a C&D unfortunately.

https://www.destructoid.com/portal-64-and-team-fortress-source-2-fan-projects-shut-down-after-valve-dmca/

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Astro Rabby said:

Thats a real shame. Im editing this post because it looks like Valve is trying to be cool about it and there is a possibility of the project coming back.

The best contingency.  Upload the source to multiple locations, get the executable/usable file out as fast as possible.  DMCA means crap if 100s of people online get it, then share it, then those people share it.  It's not dead, it's just in flux.  It's out there, it works, the source can be grabbed and has been to work it further.  What you see here is just legalize and annoyance.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Kind of odd for Athena to make a visual novel for the N64.

Well, the N64 controller lends itself very well to a visual novel, right? 😅

(seriously, that would be a rare occasion to hold it by the left handle)

Now if only @shane857 would come in here, he would find the answer to his question.  You went a silly expensive multi-step way to get that N64 working as you did.  Not that I can point fingers, my one I bought the day the hardware came out now has an UltraHDMI kit in it, so there's that, and it works and looks better than ever using it.  That kit lets it display correctly on a modern screen where stock hardware would have problems in a few titles just not displaying stuff.  That said, I do have a stock 2nd system I got last year at a flea, complete in box atomic purple controller system and I can pop that into a nice 9" PVM I have if I wished it.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Now if only @shane857 would come in here, he would find the answer to his question.  You went a silly expensive multi-step way to get that N64 working as you did.  Not that I can point fingers, my one I bought the day the hardware came out now has an UltraHDMI kit in it, so there's that, and it works and looks better than ever using it.  That kit lets it display correctly on a modern screen where stock hardware would have problems in a few titles just not displaying stuff.  That said, I do have a stock 2nd system I got last year at a flea, complete in box atomic purple controller system and I can pop that into a nice 9" PVM I have if I wished it.

Initially I was going to buy one with an UltraHDMI mod. Too expensive for me thou and quite difficult to get hold of here in the UK.

I may purchase an RGB modded one which is more affordable and available.

• Like 1