IGNORED

New Gamecube HDMI adapter

I still prefer the internal mod that I got via Yurkie.

It cost a bit more (closer to $200), but I think it's going to be a longer lasting solution.

All the details are in the thread I started, but I'm going to at least show the internal mod picture I took. Pardon the quality it's kinda dark in my room. -_-

TnwrNib.jpg

All of that aside... I wonder how BadAssConsoles is going to take all the press zeldaxpro is getting from other sources for having something ready. :lol:

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

Threads like this make me glad I got the component cable back when it was new. I had just gotten a tv with component inputs (not HD though) and made sure all my consoles had component cables. The GC ones were the only ones I had to order from Nintendo directly.

Actually you can use gameboy games on wii.

https://www.engadget.com/2007/01/11/play-gba-games-badly-on-the-wii/

A little buggy supposedly but you can at least.

I suspect it's improved in the years since, but still, not exactly an ideal solution. I went with the Game Boy Player instead. And now, we play the waiting game...

I wonder if this would be a good candidate for a kickstarter campaign to get it professionally built, if he is indeed making them by hand. If he's really being inundated by the interests for it, perhaps it would be something for him to look into. If it was cheap enough, (30 to 50 dollar range) I could see a real market for the thing... although, being limited to only the original GC release does limit the market a bit.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 1

Are GC model 2 more common? I never saw one, all the ones I saw are model 1.

That cable looks nice, I might wait a bit anyway, RGB suffice me for now, but I'll probably throw some money at it when I have enough of said money :D

Eventually the Chinese will have one for much cheaper. I'd rather give this guy the money though and have a better made product.

:thumbsup: Congrats.

I'm so annoyed when I see people going " ***** is too expensive, I'll get the Chinese version". Please don't. The Chinese won't take the time to improve on flash cart, make them better, more compatible; by not giving your money to people that work on the products, you're just reducing the possibility for new people to step in and provide us with new solution for flash carts, video mods, chip reproduction, etc.

• Like 2

I honestly didn't even know there was more than one model of GameCube. But as soon as I saw that in the video I checked mine and saw that it is the compatible one.

To my understanding, there were two models. DOL-001 (Original Indigo Model) and DOL-101. (The Panasonic Q obviously doesn't count as a model exactly.) In addition to removing the digital AV out, the 101 removed serial port 2 on the bottom and the top faceplate is no longer removable. The newer models also had an upgraded laser that supposedly had less issues with read errors. I believe the release version was the original 001 and all the other colors are 101s.

I'd be curious to see a comparison between SVideo and HDMI. Obviously, I know that HDMI will be better, but I'm curious as to how much better.

Edited by Lendorien

There's more than two, at least internally, but yes the biggest difference is when Nintendo removed the digital out port. I had a complete US Cube set at one point, and a couple of early discs refused to load on my console. They would load on another very early Cube (probably launch day) so Nintendo changed something internally within the few few months at least.

Not just Indigo... mine is a DOL-001 and is Black.

Jet Black was the second launch color. All the other colors but Indigo and Black came later. Though I'm not sure about Japan; this may just apply to the US. I have photos that I personally took of the system pre-launch in pumpkin spice.

Edited by spacecadet

Threads like this make me glad I got the component cable back when it was new. I had just gotten a tv with component inputs (not HD though) and made sure all my consoles had component cables. The GC ones were the only ones I had to order from Nintendo directly.

I also have a component cable from back in the day. The problem is how long amps and TVs will continue to support it. In the UK component was really only used on consoles so wasn't popular at all (hence we didn't even get the GC component lead and had to import them from Japan). I already had to source an old amplifier to get one with 3x component to support the PS2/XBOX/GC. The new version of the amp has dropped component altogether. I fitted a new OLED TV for a friend recently also, again no component.

This is future proofing for me, I'll get one of the adapters and sell the component lead while they're silly money to cover the cost. The PS2 I've since moved to a CRT. Really, as MJ suggests, there's only really the XBOX that could do with an HDMI solution now as there are enough high res games on that to warrant it.

This is future proofing for me, I'll get one of the adapters and sell the component lead while they're silly money to cover the cost. The PS2 I've since moved to a CRT. Really, as MJ suggests, there's only really the XBOX that could do with an HDMI solution now as there are enough high res games on that to warrant it.

Xbox component looks surprisingly crappy for some reason anyway, unless it's just a particular variant of Xbox that I'm unlucky enough to have (I have one of the launch systems, I believe). It's very dark and blurrier than I'm used to. So HDMI would be cool to have.

But isn't the 360 and One backward compatible with a lot of stuff anyway? I stopped buying Xboxes after the first one so I don't really know.

• Like 1

Xbox component looks surprisingly crappy for some reason anyway, unless it's just a particular variant of Xbox that I'm unlucky enough to have (I have one of the launch systems, I believe). It's very dark and blurrier than I'm used to. So HDMI would be cool to have.

But isn't the 360 and One backward compatible with a lot of stuff anyway? I stopped buying Xboxes after the first one so I don't really know.

Sadly not. Though I think MS are making some of the older games available to download on the XBone.

The 360 has pretty good compatibility, and if you have a modded unit, you can get almost any original Xbox game to play. As juansolo said, I've also moved most of my "SD" gaming to the CRT. Sure, not having 480p stinks for Gamecube/Xbox, as well as no widescreen, but I still find component to be fine. I mean, these systems were still designed primarily for CRT customers.

• Like 1

Is there a difference between the output quality of this product and that of a GC-compatible Wii with the cheap HDMI adapter (or just plain component cables)?

Well unless something changed, the Wii2HDMI adapters, same as the PS2 to HDMI, automatically stretch 4:3 games to 16:9. I loathe this, and most TV's cannot resize back to 4:3. Quality wise I'm sure it's fine, although some may complain about lag.

As for Wii with official component cables, should look fine. Again, some feel the Wii doesn't output Gamecube 480p as crisply, but I think it's fine.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

Looked at my Gamecube today, lo' and behold it is a DOL-101. Which means this mod won't work. At least by the time I get around to picking up a DOL-001, he might actually be able to fulfill orders.