IGNORED

New Gamecube HDMI adapter

That is a lot. Used to be cheap on ebay like 5 or 10 and now its gone up. Plus cheapest is 30 plus shipping. And that is just the unit woth no games, controllers, or hookups. I had a spare laying around but I can not find it.

I saw one yesterday for $28 shipped. To me that's cheap. Last time I checked 6 months ago they were going for similar money.

There are 75 DOL-001 on ebay right now with free shipping and buy it now (no auction). It starts at 19.95 and free shipping. But those are parts only or untested. This is the cjeapest. Dust used gamecube with spots. Probably cleanable but still. And only 14 are between 30 and 40 dollars. After that it is 40 and up. And all are bare only with no ac adapter so that is another 15 right there. Only 1 has ac adapter and is tested for 35. After that it is 30 plus ac adapter so almost 50 dollars with no av or controllers. It is a lot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Gamecube-Black-Onyx-Replacement-Console-Only-Tested-Working-Free-Ship-/282600871077?hash=item41cc5314a5:g:o7wAAOSw-a9Zh1pG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Gamecube-Silver-Console-with-power-supply-works-fine-DOL-001-FREE-SHIP-/362055850756?hash=item544c35db04:g:8kYAAOSwvjdZVknc

The 360 has pretty good compatibility, and if you have a modded unit, you can get almost any original Xbox game to play. As juansolo said, I've also moved most of my "SD" gaming to the CRT. Sure, not having 480p stinks for Gamecube/Xbox, as well as no widescreen, but I still find component to be fine. I mean, these systems were still designed primarily for CRT customers.

You know, I totally forgot the 360 had backward compatibility! That said I've a chipped Xbox and all my games loaded onto a big HDD, which is nice ;)

But yeah, losing the 480p and widescreen options on both would hurt, I'm too used to them. I suppose if I bag one of these HDMI for the GC and a component to HDMI box for the XBox I'll have future proofing covered.

You know, I totally forgot the 360 had backward compatibility! That said I've a chipped Xbox and all my games loaded onto a big HDD, which is nice ;)

But yeah, losing the 480p and widescreen options on both would hurt, I'm too used to them. I suppose if I bag one of these HDMI for the GC and a component to HDMI box for the XBox I'll have future proofing covered.

Not 100% compatibility. There are quite a few games that don't work on it. In fact, only about 280 games are officially compatible IIRC. Total released games is well above that. I got me an original Xbox for that reason. Sad to say I only got it to play Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. Don't Judge me.

Edited by Lendorien

One can only fit so many systems on a setup! I moved that gen off the HDTV as I said. I'm fine with it.

Well I modded a V1.6 Xbox, so SEGA games like Orta didn't even work without ridiculous modification of the launch files and whatnot. They work fine in 480i though.

For me it was Panzer Dragoon Orta.

That said I have Rumble Roses* on the PS2, so I can't judge anyone.

*It's a surprisingly good wrestling game... Honest!

Yeah, it's actually much much cheaper for me to throw my GameCube games into a Wii and play them there. The component cable for that system isn't hard to find, and most GC games play in 480p, making them look beautiful.

The ONLY thing that binds me to the GameCube is the Game Boy Player. The hardware was built specifically for a GameCube, and the Wii doesn't have the high speed port the GBP needs.

I'll be honest with you... this is why I tend to rely on emulation to play these old games. Is it the "real experience?" No. But the "real experience" also means having to get up to swap cartridges, shell out for accessories, and find A/V cables because RF and even composite video look pretty terrible. At some point, authenticity has to take a back seat to convenience.

• Like 1

I'll be honest with you... this is why I tend to rely on emulation to play these old games. Is it the "real experience?" No. But the "real experience" also means having to get up to swap cartridges, shell out for accessories, and find A/V cables because RF and even composite video look pretty terrible. At some point, authenticity has to take a back seat to convenience.

heh.. sorry but I guess I'm still of the crowd that still finds reference to the Gamecube as "old games" to be emulated, kind of odd sounding :P

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

For me, having a Wii U that also plays Wii games and a GameCube that also plays Game Boy games is preferable to only having a Wii that also plays GameCube games. 2 systems that cover 4 is better than 1 system that covers 2, especially given that there's no overlap.

So I still want a GameCube cable and I'm sure there are a lot of others with a similar setup.

• Like 1

Eh, the Wii U can also play GameCube games if properly coaxed. Look up Nintendont. It's nice because you can run them off a flash drive... no need to bugger with discs. Nintendont also runs on an ordinary Wii, and I'm thinking of using one of my spares especially for that purpose.

Yep. Basically, Nintendo simply run the Wii firmware on the Wii U, with all the gaps and exploit of the original Wii. That mean you can exploit the Wii U to read Wii and GC games like you do from a Wii; so it's 3 in 1 "original" (as in, not emulated) reading system.

Still doesn't sold the issue of the Game Boy Player but basically, if it run on the Wii, it run on the Wii U.

Eh, the Wii U can also play GameCube games if properly coaxed. Look up Nintendont. It's nice because you can run them off a flash drive... no need to bugger with discs. Nintendont also runs on an ordinary Wii, and I'm thinking of using one of my spares especially for that purpose.

But you can't use the GC controllers with the Wii U. Unless someone has figured out how to hack that Smash Bros. adapter to work with other games.

But you can't use the GC controllers with the Wii U. Unless someone has figured out how to hack that Smash Bros. adapter to work with other games.

Actually you can. Plugs into wiiu usb ports and lets you use game cube controllers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RSXRLUE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502290955&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=wiiu+gamecube

He knows all about that. He mentioned the official version of that accessory in the very post that you quoted.

But officially, it's limited to being used with Super Smash Brothers 4. Hence the "unless someone has figured out how to hack that Smash Bros. adapter to work with other games" comment about being able to use it with GameCube games played on a Wii U via homebrew methods (Which like I responded, you can).

There's also officially licensed GameCube lookalike controllers from PDP and Hori that act as a Wii Classic Controller which can be used with GameCube games on the Wii U. Been very pleased with the Hori version on Virtual Console N64 downloads and some other games after missing my Wavebird controller after transferring my VC games from my Wii to my Wii U.

Edited by Atariboy

He knows all about that. He mentioned the official version of that accessory in the very post that you quoted.

But officially, it's limited to being used with Super Smash Brothers 4. Hence the "unless someone has figured out how to hack that Smash Bros. adapter to work with other games" comment about being able to use it with GameCube games played on a Wii U via homebrew methods (Which like I responded, you can).

There's also officially licensed GameCube lookalike controllers from PDP and Hori that act as a Wii Classic Controller which can be used with GameCube games on the Wii U. Been very pleased with the Hori version on Virtual Console N64 downloads and some other games after missing my Wavebird controller after transferring my VC games from my Wii to my Wii U.

From what I heard it works with every game. I have never heard of any limitations. That means any usb controller won't work either.

No, it doesn't. Officially it's limited to Super Smash Brothers. Unofficially, it can be used at least with GameCube and Classic Controller enabled games on the Wii side (Obviously it's not of any use in Wii motion enabled games).

I haven't heard of anything on the Wii U side to open up compatibility, homebrew wise. I don't believe the Wii U half of the system is cracked wide open like the Wii U's Wii mode is. And even if it does happen someday, games that rely on the touch screen or motion controls obviously wouldn't be able to rely on this GameCube adapter.

Edited by Atariboy

Wow all this useless arguing about warezing games so you can be lazy and play a warez dump on a WiiU or a Wii because it's too challenging to plug a system in and exert oneself to put a disc into a machine and push the power button. Such hardships.

Gamecube is borderline old, the last of the non-HD era in general (yes I know Wii was after and a hold out) but is also is in the realm of where 3D hit a more than acceptable level to not look awful and dated too like the generation before.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a real disc and a real system as intended as current hardware should still more than suffice to run on a modern TV unless you unluckily bought some piece of garbage TV that can barely struggle to handle an RF or RCA signal plus processes so much garbage in the background it inhibits play with gross lag. The last couple TVs I've had around I looked into before buying because I knew of this going into it, and my games look nicer than a CRT but a little less crystal clear as using Dolphin to run GC ISOs, a happy middle ground, and with no display lag problems. I see no reason to justify using warez and corner cutting when things can be used just fine as intended.

...and I do agree, it's a shame they got piracy jitters as that dumb 1.5GB mini-dvd they went with really screwed them in the last 2 years of the system when it got cut out of a lot of sequels to great games it did receive earlier on.

• Like 1

Wow all this useless arguing about warezing games so you can be lazy and play a warez dump on a WiiU or a Wii because it's too challenging to plug a system in and exert oneself to put a disc into a machine and push the power button. Such hardships.

If you don't like arguments, that tone certainly isn't going to help you avoid them. Who peed in your Corn Pops this morning?

• Like 2

Hardships that newer TV mgiht not accept the older signal or not diplay them correctly (newer TV lack a 4/3 option display, for eaxmple).

Hardship that some people live in small cramped spaces and can't have the joy of having several vdeo game systems stacked around.

People live with a family,and the wife might not like to have 3 consoles around the TV, or one could be legitimately worried having kids handling games that start to score 40/50$ in value.

People might liek to test a game before blowing money in it, as I mentionned, many CG games are commanding high prices, and some Wii games also start to get expensive.

• Like 1

I've grown tired of the generalized whining I've seen from some people who act like it's a put off or too much effort to put a game into whatever the system is and use it. Nothing more or less than that as it just feels like gross laziness.

I'm not aware of any modern TV as of yet that can't handle a component connection or composite, but even if they did vanish tomorrow you can get cheap that to HDMI adapters that work fine that converts the signal on the cheap. I'm very familiar with being in a cramped space and I wouldn't bother ever putting a CRT in my place as they're huge and unsightly, entirely useless outside of arcade cabinets at this point given they really suck as actual TVs with the way technology has gone now. And testing games can easily be done on any old computer for so many platforms so that shouldn't be eating up any more space too.