IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Serial Number Thread

Wester

I have some updates to make for my systems.

I sold two on eBay during this last summer (2007), one Atari and one Sears. These were the later model number ones I had. The Atari unit sold was number #28204F and the Sears unit sold was number #54035V.

I also got two new ones. One is a Sears and the other is an Atari. The Sears one is interesting because the main sticker with the serial number on it doesn't say it was made for Sears however it does have the other sticker about servicing at Sears on it. Did the early Sears heavies simply use the default Atari sticker? Its Serial number is 53705F Pictures are below.

post-10944-1194098686_thumb.jpgpost-10944-1194098699_thumb.jpg

The Atari unit doesn't work. Its serial number is 13748H.

The Sears one is interesting because the main sticker with the serial number on it doesn't say it was made for Sears however it does have the other sticker about servicing at Sears on it. Did the early Sears heavies simply use the default Atari sticker? Its Serial number is 53705F Pictures are below.
It could be a Frankenstein unit put together by a later owner. Edited by Christophero Sly

Thanks for posting everybody, list updated.

I'd have to agree with Christophero Sly about that 53705F being a Frankenstien.

Hmmm...maybe, but do other Atari branded heavies have the extra Sears sticker on them?

All of the Atari ones I've seen don't have the little sticker about servicing at Sears on them. However, all of the Sears units have this. Could be legit.

Thanks for posting everybody, list updated.

I'd have to agree with Christophero Sly about that 53705F being a Frankenstien.

Hmmm...maybe, but do other Atari branded heavies have the extra Sears sticker on them?

All of the Atari ones I've seen don't have the little sticker about servicing at Sears on them. However, all of the Sears units have this. Could be legit.

What you suggest is a hypothetical possibility, but it's also possible that the original case top was damaged and the owner took it to Sears to have it repaired, where the original Atari top was replaced with a Sears top. The Sears service sticker could have also been applied at that time.

It's just difficult to say for sure what are the origins of the various oddball units. I think we have to be conservative and let the principle of parsimony be our guide. Without solid information on which we can base an alternate determination, I think we have to assume that your console is a Frankenstein unit.

I have some updates to make for my systems.

I sold two on eBay during this last summer (2007), one Atari and one Sears. These were the later model number ones I had. The Atari unit sold was number #28204F and the Sears unit sold was number #54035V.

I also got two new ones. One is a Sears and the other is an Atari. The Sears one is interesting because the main sticker with the serial number on it doesn't say it was made for Sears however it does have the other sticker about servicing at Sears on it. Did the early Sears heavies simply use the default Atari sticker? Its Serial number is 53705F Pictures are below.

post-10944-1194098686_thumb.jpgpost-10944-1194098699_thumb.jpg

The Atari unit doesn't work. Its serial number is 13748H.

My Sears heavy sixer has the same small sticker on it, and I've seen others with that sticker as well.

What is odd is that it is coupled with an Atari brand serial # sticker. So, either the serial # sticker was replaced, or it is all original.

I'm going to guess that it is original. Even the original Sears heavy sixer units were manufactured in Sunnyvale, CA, so it is possible that a portion of them were produced before the serial # stickers were updated to identify them as Sears units. The only changes made to the serial # stickers were an extra line added at the top saying "...manufactured for Sears..." and the model number was changed.

Since no other Sears unit has been found with a serial suffix below R, I would guess that the theory about this being an Atari unit sent to Sears for service is probably the closest to the truth, of the ideas we have so far. IMO it's certainly a Frankenstein job of some sort.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Since no other Sears unit has been found with a serial suffix below R, I would guess that the theory about this being an Atari unit sent to Sears for service is probably the closest to the truth, of the ideas we have so far. IMO it's certainly a Frankenstein job of some sort.

Respectfully, I do not agree for practical reasons. If my plant needed to get out just a couple of units to fill a shipment, using a reworked base or taking a base from the next days shipment would not be uncommon (not condoned but it happens). Of course, Atari inspectors would likely sort any lot they found mixed up but inspectors usually only spot check shipments.

Few service techs or homeowners would bother to install a new sticker or tranfer the old one if making a Frankenstein.

In my other hobby of muscle cars it is amazing how many times parts are mixed up especially on assembly lines that make one brand right next to another, like GM's Chevy, Pontiac, and Olds assembly lines.

Few service techs or homeowners would bother to install a new sticker or tranfer the old one if making a Frankenstein.
I don't quite follow you here. If the unit was taken to Sears to have a new top put on, no stickers would have to be transfered. And it makes sense that Sears would attach a service sticker to a console they repaired. Edited by Christophero Sly

I don't quite follow you here. If the unit was taken to Sears to have a new top put on, no stickers would have to be transfered. And it makes sense that Sears would attach a service sticker to a console they repaired.

Christophero,

I understand your point and it is possible, my point is that it is less likely than a factory mix up..

My assumption is that both stickers are Atari factory stickers. If both stickers are from Atari, one a standard Atari S/N and the other a Sears service sticker, then I think it is unlikely that the Sears repairman would order the sticker from Atari just to install it on a non-sears model.

Additionally, my Sears heavy is a reconditioned unit and has a third tiny sticker with "SEARS RECONDITIONED" and the date on it. I expect this would be standard for any repaired unit.

BAH

That is true, this unit does not have the "reconditioned" sticker usually (always?) found on units that had service performed. Of course, THAT sticker could've been removed. But if the homeowner took the time to remove the reconditioned sticker then why not remove the little Sears sticker too?

In any case, I will keep this little oddity. :)

I don't quite follow you here. If the unit was taken to Sears to have a new top put on, no stickers would have to be transfered. And it makes sense that Sears would attach a service sticker to a console they repaired.

Christophero,

I understand your point and it is possible, my point is that it is less likely than a factory mix up..

My assumption is that both stickers are Atari factory stickers. If both stickers are from Atari, one a standard Atari S/N and the other a Sears service sticker, then I think it is unlikely that the Sears repairman would order the sticker from Atari just to install it on a non-sears model.

Additionally, my Sears heavy is a reconditioned unit and has a third tiny sticker with "SEARS RECONDITIONED" and the date on it. I expect this would be standard for any repaired unit.

BAH

I guess we'll have to disagree.

@toymailman: Where did you get this console--ebay, thrift, garage sale...?

@toymailman: Where did you get this console--ebay, thrift, garage sale...?

It was off eBay. I've never found squat in the wild (thrift, garage sales, etc.). :x

Thanks for answering my question.

You answer reinforces my belief that it is a Frankenstein unit put together recently, possibly even by the seller you purchased it from.

The fact that the console was purchased on ebay indicates that the console had made it's way from it's original owner into the general resale market, and that makes it difficult to account for it's history. I believe it's quite common for those who resale Atari consoles on ebay to assemble working consoles from parts taken from non-working or damaged consoles.

As I said previously, the factory-assembled-oddity hypothesis is a possibility, but given the information we have, I believe the principle of parsimony clearly favors this being a Frankenstein unit constructed relatively recently.

You're assuming the seller wasn't the original owner. :evil:
Yeah, I am.

And I don't care about this enough anymore to argue about it. Stick the console on the list wherever you want.

Sorry, didn't mean to push you over the edge, I was just trying to lighten the mood with a little sarcasm.

I had originally put it on the list in order with the SN, but I added some details to it.

You're assuming the seller wasn't the original owner. :evil:
Yeah, I am.

And I don't care about this enough anymore to argue about it. Stick the console on the list wherever you want.

Sorry, didn't mean to push you over the edge, I was just trying to lighten the mood with a little sarcasm.

I know. I apologize for giving you that impression.

I've made my opinions on this console's origins known to a sufficient degree. I just don't have anything else to say about it. I trust in your judgement to account for this console appropriately.

Edited by Christophero Sly

I sense that someone has invoked my name... and by coincidence it happens that I have something to add.

For the "Other Units" section, a Taiwan Heavy currently in my shop for repair: # T 0004278, has channel A-B hole and switch.

I will leave the owner anonymous for now; since he's a reseller it would probably be pointless to mention him anyway, as the console will likely change hands again soon.

Edited by A.J. Franzman