IGNORED

JagZombies

WAVE 1 GAMES

One a related note, here's a very recent "demake" (from the Demake Jam 2018) of Virtua Cop. It's very playable and it might be worth noting some of the gameplay mechanics and level design ideas (which are obvious and present despite it being fairly "simplistic"). https://helpcomputer.itch.io/metro-cop

That is really good fun, and will come in handy at work later ;)

• Like 3

The ghost train can be avoided if you take out the zombies quick enough and clear the level. That was included in the video to show it.

Also there is level progression. The clips in the video are NOT in order. They are highlights from the game.

But then you replies:

It is not a rail shooter. The x position of the zombies are always random. It is however timer based like you said.

Now I'm confused, you said in your reply that while the zombies were randomly xpositioned, the time of their appearance isn't. This would mean you would not be able to avoid the train as enough zombies to progress would not have appeared.

Seriously man? You just quoted this.

"It is however timer based like you said."

Then you say this.

Now I'm confused, you said in your reply that while the zombies were randomly xpositioned, the time of their appearance isn't. This would mean you would not be able to avoid the train as enough zombies to progress would not have appeared.

I realise understanding is not great in this forum sometimes but what is timer based? The appearance of the targets? What is the criteria for level progression?

Or, in pseudo code form:

If number of zombies in timerframes less than
amount needed to progress level then train
will ALWAYS appear
Edited by Welshworrier

I realise understanding is not great in this forum sometimes but what is timer based? The appearance of the targets? What is the criteria for level progression?

Or, in pseudo code form:

If number of zombies in timerframes less than
amount needed to progress level then train
will ALWAYS appear

No. The train has its own timer that starts rolling at 0 seconds when you start the level. If you take out (I think) 30 zombies before the train timer reaches like 500 or something the level will advance, ie NO GHOST TRAIN. If you diddle daddle around and dont take out x ammount of zombies before then the train comes.

There are lots of different timers for different things. The train timer only starts rolling from 0 when you start level 4.

The zombies themselves have their own timer and depending on where their individual timers are at will determine how close to the screen they appear/ scale.

So yes it IS possible to take out the required number of zombies to avoid encounter with the train.

Is there any indication to the player how many zombies they need to kill in order to avoid the train?

No

Do you get to see where the train timer is at and how much time you have left before it appears?

No

Is it hard to shoot the 30 required zombies to avoid the train in that time?

Yes

This is a trial and error thing for the player. Is it fair to the player that they have to figure that out? Maybe not, I don't know. but I do give a hint in the manual to hurry up and shoot as many zombies as they can to clear the level quickly.

Each time you kill a zombie a replacement zombie appears in a random X position. His individual timer starts rolling from 0

Its not a rail shooter to MY knowledge of what a rail shooter is. Maybe you consider this a rail shooter I don't know. When I think of what a rail shooter is I think StarFox SNES where all of the enemies DO appear in the same spots. Or maybe even parts of Zero 5 are like that.

Thanks for the clarification.

The design of the game appears to be all timed event triggered - concerning that the zombies movements are also driven by the time instead of Z as that would probably be one of the causes of your depth sort and aiming issues - take too long processing your timer and raptor could have updated the position while you were checking. It's a sort of race condition but of the snail variety.

How are you triggering these events though - hope you are not looping around all objects for each iteration as that would be incredibly inefficient and could be one of the other causes of non targeting seen.

Edited by Welshworrier

It might be nice if you heard train noises before the ghost train appears; that way it doesn't come out of no where. As the train's timer gets closer to zero, the player should hear more noises.

As a gamer, that's a great bit of feedback.

If the player is given some form audio warning, it introduces a sense of urgency.

Totally different genre i grant you, bit games like Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands pulled this off to great effect.

If you didn't get yer arse in gear, the games made you pay for it, but you were given clear indication of what was about to happen if you took too long.

• Like 1

Is there any indication to the player how many zombies they need to kill in order to avoid the train?

No

Do you get to see where the train timer is at and how much time you have left before it appears?

No

Yes

I've played that level multiple times and I have yet to see the train. Then again I just shoot red crosshair rapid fire, no matter where the zombies are. Doesn't seem hard to me in fact I think the game is too easy, myself.

Wasn't icemanpx3000 one of the play testers, why are you only saying it's too easy now? Rapid fire? I would hope that you can't just hold the reload button in as that would remove the need to have it in the first place.

Needs to be a reload period based on how long since last used I feel or gun heat leading to misfire chance and minigame for clearing it. Just thoughts.

• Like 2

I've played that level multiple times and I have yet to see the train. Then again I just shoot red crosshair rapid fire, no matter where the zombies are. Doesn't seem hard to me in fact I think the game is too easy, myself.

So, as a play tester how much feedback did you provide?

• Like 5

Yes

Did you provide that feedback to Jeff? You know being a game tester has some responsibility, it's not just 'can I haz free game nao!' :D

• Like 6

Wasn't icemanpx3000 one of the play testers

Don't assume. I was asked to make this game for him. So I did, I never play tested anything. I was given the file he wanted put on carts a few weeks ago when I first posted in this thread. I test my games after I make them to make sure they work. So that is why I have played this game multiple times.

Just before someone wants to chime in and say I shouldn't make this game for him as it has bugs. Well I read this thread just as you all did and it's pretty hard for me to say no when people in this thread are aware of the game play yet they still want to buy the game.

Furthermore last I knew it was a final release that he sent me. If he plans on changing stuff now after I made his games that has nothing to do w/me. I just made the games for him, that is all.

Don't assume. I was asked to make this game for him. So I did, I never play tested anything. I was given the file he wanted put on carts a few weeks ago when I first posted in this thread. I test my games after I make them to make sure they work. So that is why I have played this game multiple times.

Just before someone wants to chime in and say I shouldn't make this game for him as it has bugs. Well I read this thread just as you all did and it's pretty hard for me to say no when people in this thread are aware of the game play yet they still want to buy the game.

Furthermore last I knew it was a final release that he sent me. If he plans on changing stuff now after I made his games that has nothing to do w/me. I just made the games for him, that is all.

Oh WOW that got ugly fast. Iceman I AM making another version. I'm attempting to sort some things out. I'm also upping the difficulty per level.

It won't be a House of the Dead clone, but I do hope to remove the graphics tearing and other issues noted here.

I'll be sure to send you a new ROM when its ready

Thanks for the clarification.

The design of the game appears to be all timed event triggered - concerning that the zombies movements are also driven by the time instead of Z as that would probably be one of the causes of your depth sort and aiming issues - take too long processing your timer and raptor could have updated the position while you were checking. It's a sort of race condition but of the snail variety.

How are you triggering these events though - hope you are not looping around all objects for each iteration as that would be incredibly inefficient and could be one of the other causes of non targeting seen.

There is also a MAIN GAME timer. This triggers a lot of stuff too, like when the humans run out on screen or when a healthpak or flamethrower will appear.

The word "too" would imply that's how you've actually written it.

Hope that timer (or is it pseudo-timer i.e. software) remains synched with all the other triggers or you'll be getting all sorts of weird problems.

Also, unless designed correctly, you end up with thousands of If statements to check for each event you have to use which will impact performance massively.

• Like 2

The word "too" would imply that's how you've actually written it.

Hope that timer (or is it pseudo-timer i.e. software) remains synched with all the other triggers or you'll be getting all sorts of weird problems.

Also, unless designed correctly, you end up with thousands of If statements to check for each event you have to use which will impact performance massively.

Yep thats what happened