IGNORED

Where the hell is Toki?

sn8k

Seriously.

Well, only because you're being serious...

He's supposed to be in the jungle. If he's in hell, then he may be stuck between Lucifer and Alastor.

As a less serious answer, despite CPUWIZ having invested much into its release, the owner is still MIA. Until the owner gives the approval permission for a release, there is nothing more that can be done at this time but to wait.

• Like 5

Well, only because you're being serious...

He's supposed to be in the jungle. If he's in hell, then he may be stuck between Lucifer and Alastor.

As a less serious answer, despite CPUWIZ having invested much into its release, the owner is still MIA. Until the owner gives the approval permission for a release, there is nothing more that can be done at this time but to wait.

Screw the owner you snooze you loose!

Who really owns what? Copyright?? All the money and time I say CPU is the owner and should be able to do whatever the hell he wants with it. Of course he prefers to be of integrity and honour his agreement with the rom distributor. But in this case maybr the rom provider forgot? Died? Or does not care. So after awhile maybe it is free game.

Screw the owner you snooze you loose!

Who really owns what? Copyright?? All the money and time I say CPU is the owner and should be able to do whatever the hell he wants with it. Of course he prefers to be of integrity and honour his agreement with the rom distributor. But in this case maybr the rom provider forgot? Died? Or does not care. So after awhile maybe it is free game.

What incredible insight you have. You want it and screw everyone else. You want it now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zcVnNwAHys

• Like 1

Yeah kinda.. but I can wait 5 or 10 years or never if that is the intent.

I guess it makes no sense to me that the rom owner abandoned the idea of the release? Why bother a guy to make carts?

Well the owner is the owner, they can do what they want. Sometimes that means never releasing the rom. It happens.

Would not un released titles be considered abandonware since that part of ATARI does not exist any longer?

Abandonware is not a thing. In 99.999% of cases, some entity somewhere owns the entity you think everyone forgot about. The term abandonware was essentially made up by people that want to feel better about stealing games.

• Like 5

It's like when I made that Svengoolie game. I did ask for permission to distribute the game but they said no. So I have to honor METV's wishes and not distribute. Them's the breaks.

This isn't exactly like that though.

The person who found the Toki 7800 prototype cart and shared it with CPUWIZ owns that particular cart. But they don't own the Toki for 7800 Intellectual Property rights - the copyright/trademark/original game code. They just own the physical cart the prototype version is stored on.

Now I get why CPUWIZ isn't going to share it without permission, it's the honorable thing to do. But in reality - the person who found the Proto cart has no more rights to distribute that code than CPUWIZ does, and can no more grant permission than CPUWIZ can grant himself.

Like, say I went rummaging through Quincy Jones' studio dumpster, and found a discarded copy of some early WIP demos of Michael JAckson's Thriller album. I don't have the rights to distribute those versions of those songs just because I stumbled upon a tape. I can play them, but it's still not mine to give away, and certainly not to derive a profit from.

Edited by DrSidneyZweibel
  • Like 1

Abandonware is not a thing. In 99.999% of cases, some entity somewhere owns the entity you think everyone forgot about. The term abandonware was essentially made up by people that want to feel better about stealing games.

No, Abandonware is most certainly a real thing. Certain copyrights and trademarks do have expiration dates. If the IP is not used or copyright not renewed - you can lose the right to enforce those copyrights. They then become Public Domain.

Case in Point: In the Mid 90's, "Spinal Tap" went on tour, even though they were just a joke band from a parody movie, partially because Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, and Michael McKean would have lost the copyright to the Spinal Tap name and music if they did not continue to enforce their rights.

• Like 2

"Steal"? More like "adverse possession". 7 years of improvements made without objections, input, or financing from the actual owner and the real property is yours in CA. Emphasis on the *real* part.

Edited by Lynxpro

No, Abandonware is most certainly a real thing. Certain copyrights and trademarks do have expiration dates. If the IP is not used or copyright not renewed - you can lose the right to enforce those copyrights. They then become Public Domain.

Case in Point: In the Mid 90's, "Spinal Tap" went on tour, even though they were just a joke band from a parody movie, partially because Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, and Michael McKean would have lost the copyright to the Spinal Tap name and music if they did not continue to enforce their rights.

It's true that copyrights can expire, but the vast majority (again, I'll say close to 99%) are games that have valid copyrights but the corporate entity that owns the games chooses not to raise a stink and enforce the copyright by people distributing the game, etc. That doesn't mean it's legal, b/c it's not.

• Like 1