IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

Not a whole lot of variety for me this week. Been traveling this weekend and will be driving all day tomorrow. A couple Easter-themed games and some stuff my kids like to play.

TI-99/4A:

Henhouse (30 minutes) **Easter** (save the eggs)

Markus of Marinus (90 minutes). **all by my kids**

Parsec (20 minutes)

Rabbit Trail (20 minutes) **Easter** (bunny rabbit)

Story Machine (30 minutes) **all by my kids**

Tunnels of Doom (40 minutes)

Classic Mac OS:

Lemmings (45 minutes)

Sim City 2000 (50 minutes)

Train Engineer (20 minutes) **kids again**

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (March 26th through April 1st) on classic games:

Colecovision:

Pole Position (WIP) - 2 min.

Intellivision:

Hover Force - 31 min. in 3 sessions

This week I did play some classic games. First, after reading the MAME driver of Pole Position, but not quite understanding it, I tried a WIP of Pole Position on the Colecovision. The player car is rendered quite beautifully, but the road is drawn very crudely and never goes into a curve. You can steer left and right, but there's no actual progression in the game.

Then I picked up Hover Force again for the sake of mapping it out. I'm now in my 3rd attempt on mapping it... the 1st attempt was stiched together from Youtube videos, while attempt 2 and 3 are stitched together from MAME screenshots, but in attempt 2 they didn't quite match up. By now I've found out how the tile map works in this game, and it's best to take the screenshots so that one tile is fully visible with parts of the ones surrounding it.

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Commando Raid - 20 minutes

Missile Command - 220 minutes

Trick Shot - 5 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Food Fight - 20 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My last scores on Missile Command. This week I played Games 1, 2 and 3 on my console, with difficulty switches set to A/Expert mode. Also I played Game 17, but without writing my score on my identification paper (children's variation).

Also in the same picture, there are scores which I obtained on Missile Command during Week 10 (March 5th to 11th), playing the following games: 14-A, 15-B, 15-A, 16-B and 16-A

post-24681-0-22128700-1522624490_thumb.jpg

2) Food Fight Intermediate, presented for 7800 HSC Season 2017-2018 - 490,000 points

• Like 4

Not too terribly much for me this week, but some...

Atari 2600

Berzerk - 20 min (Easily one of my favorite 2600 games. Got pretty far and had up to 6 extra men at one point, I think. Just wish it had the voices from the arcade. My MAME emulation on my laptop quit working a while back and I still haven't messed with it to figure out what happened.)

Moon Patrol - 30 min (I think I still prefer the old Apple II version I played in 8th grade, but I'm pretty happy with this version. Made some progress and that's always good. Don't know why people want to turn the music off, though. I think it's fine.)

NES

Contra - 15 min (I've never been that good at this game, but it does hold a lot of memories for me. I remember back in middle school using the 30 man Konami Code and beating it with my best friend. It was only a weekend rental back then.)

• Like 5

Times for the week:

NES Tetris 40 mins

Atari 2600 games

Bowling 9 minutes High score was 208

Commando Raid 9 mins for HSC

Death Trap 29 mins for HSC

Rabbit Crossing 58 mins for HSC

Red Sea Crossing 36 mins for HSC

Solar Fox 237 mins High score of 5,570,500

Trick Shot 7 mins for HSC

Wabbit 8 mins for HSC

Wife did an additional 45 minutes of NES Tetris

• Like 4

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:

Kaboom - 401 min.

Thought I'd take a page from Atarian7's playbook and play a little Kaboom, maybe even try for 9,999,999 points. After a few false starts I was doing pretty well -- it's so easy to lose track of time! Unfortunately the game crashed when I was about to reach my first million, probably because I'm using an old version of Stella. I'll have to download a newer one and see if it still freezes...

post-6067-0-03858200-1522635525.png

(just kiddin' - April Fools!)

• Like 7

Thought I'd take a page from Atarian7's playbook and play a little Kaboom, maybe even try for 9,999,999 points. After a few false starts I was doing pretty well -- it's so easy to lose track of time! Unfortunately the game crashed when I was about to reach my first million, probably because I'm using an old version of Stella. I'll have to download a newer one and see if it still freezes...

Are you sure it crashed? Because when I go into the debugger and force the score to 999,999 and then get one more point, the game stops. So perhaps you just reached the rollover point, and you can't score any higher??

Not saying there isn't a bug, but it is very unlikely that Stella itself would 'crash' on a certain score, as it doesn't even know what a 'score' is internally. Much more likely that the ROM has an upper limit, you reached it, and the game just stopped. Just like it would on a real console.

• Like 3

@stephena: It is by now a rather well known fact that 999,999 is the maximum score on Kaboom! and the one that Atarian7 has been hunting for YEARS. A small group of people in the past have been recorded for obtaining it, but obviously it is extremely hard to reach. Our tracker administrator thegoldenband most likely here played an April's Fools Joke, pretending the emulator must've frozen at that point. :)

• Like 5

:D Guilty as charged, right down to the "401 min."

And my genuine apologies, stephena, if my post made you want to tear your hair out for a few minutes -- as it might for me, were I in your position!

I actually do habitually use older versions of Stella, which still work wonderfully well, since I'm still running Snow Leopard most of the time (which is much snappier on my aging MacBook Pro than more recent OSes). Naturally I used the debugger (not Photoshop) to get that score.

That reminds me that I've been meaning to put another semi-rare cart up for auction towards a Stella donation. I'll see what I can do about that this week.

As for my actual gameplay time this past week? None! Too busy -- and then when the weekend finally hit I had other projects with my wife. There'll definitely be some this week, though.

• Like 5

Since you, thegoldenband, were too busy to play this week (probably because of your little April's Fool forgery :-)), let me jump in with some more gameplay variety:

Atari 2600

Commando Raid: 20 min

Trick Shot: 20 min

SNES

Lucky Luke: 10 min

Sega Mega Drive

Truxton: 12 min

Commodore 64

Invade-a-Load: 2 min

Lazerforce (Codemasters): 6 min

Rigels’s Revenge (Bulldog): 3 min

Thunderforce (Hewson): 5 min

Apart from playing the new games in the 2600 HSC, I hit a few Easter flea markets in the area and found stuff. Most notably, a rather crusty looking Commodore 64 with a missing floppy drive connection but with a working datasette drive. The whole thing is a huge restoration project for the future (including a retrobrite treatment), but at least it does work.

I got the C64 (with 1541, datasette, a box of disks and two joysticks) and Truxton (highly sought-after) for 45 Euro. A great price.

"Invade-a-load", by the way, is a Space Invaders clone which is included in a tape-loader routine. So you can play some Space Invaders while you wait for the actual game to load. Everyone who has ever used a datasette before knows that this is most welcome. It even has a nice Rob Hubbard tune, which is also very welcome.

• Like 5

At first (I read the bottom before looking at the times up top) I thought you were saying you got a C64 version of Truxton. I was just about to head to YouTube to look for that.

And 45 Euro (about 55 USD) is a great price for all that. I think Truxton alone can run about that. I don't remember how much my copy cost me, but it had a big crack in the back. It works fine, but I switched the back cover with a good one and now it looks fine, too!

• Like 5

At first (I read the bottom before looking at the times up top) I thought you were saying you got a C64 version of Truxton. I was just about to head to YouTube to look for that.

And 45 Euro (about 55 USD) is a great price for all that. I think Truxton alone can run about that. I don't remember how much my copy cost me, but it had a big crack in the back. It works fine, but I switched the back cover with a good one and now it looks fine, too!

Oops, sorry about that misunderstanding with the C64 version. It's probably good that this doesn't exist...

And yeah, Truxton can get kinda expensive. You need to be very patient on ebay. Every now and then, one seems to slip under the radar and goes for 25 Euro or so. There are of course Chinese repros for much cheaper.

Mine is missing the manual, but I'm not that much of a completionist to worry about that. I'm just very happy that I found it in the wild. That's so much more fun than getting it on ebay.

• Like 2

Arcade

• Centipede 7
  • Dig Dug 31

Intellivision

• Beauty and the Beast 78
  • Space Armada 57
  • Maze a Tron 65

Kinda, more of the same from me. I got an extra Intellivision out and cleaned up some games because another user wanted to buy it from me. However, that user has since moved on, so I still just have that Intellivision hooked up (It is a Sears Super Video Arcade). It works great. If anyone in this group would like it, please contact me. I can do a very nice deal for someone in the "tracking" team.

post-5812-0-42635600-1522698436_thumb.jpgpost-5812-0-54394000-1522698455_thumb.jpgpost-5812-0-08792100-1522698466_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

And my genuine apologies, stephena, if my post made you want to tear your hair out for a few minutes -- as it might for me, were I in your position!

No problem, but in retrospect I should have noted that it was April Fools Day, and questioned the 999,999 anyway. I've only been able to get 3000, and someone getting a little under a million would be insane. Anyway, I quickly scan the posts and report/inquire on potential Stella bugs, and don't really look at any other context.

Consider me 'fooled' :)

• Like 6

It was a nice mellow week for gaming around here this past week, with a good bit of both classic and modern gaming time logged. :)

vqhcVpo.jpg

Ineligible
Dead Space (Xbox 360) - 554 minutes
The House of the Dead: Overkill (Nintendo Wii) - 74 minutes
Resident Evil: Revelations (Nintendo 3DS) - 60 minutes
Star Fox Adventures (Nintendo GameCube) - 110 minutes

Atari 2600
Breakout - 41 minutes
Centipede - 46 minutes
Pac-Man - 22 minutes
Space Invaders - 25 minutes
Starmaster - 32 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
964 minutes (16 hours 4 minutes) [166 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Xbox 360: 554 minutes
Atari 2600: 166 minutes
Nintendo GameCube: 110 minutes
Nintendo Wii: 74 minutes
Nintendo 3DS: 60 minutes

For me the majority of the week was spent finishing up the original Dead Space for the Xbox 360, and holy hell is that game ever scary! It's definitely a toss up between the original Silent Hill on the PlayStation, Dead Space on the Xbox 360, and Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii for which is the scariest game I've ever played. If I had to pick just one for my scariest game of all time though I'd probably have to go with Dead Space: Extraction, simply due to the fact that it's on rails and not being able to stop or run away when hordes of horrifying monsters are trying to gnaw your face off makes for an incredibly tense experience. The original Dead Space was still fantastic though, and I'll be looking forward to playing Dead Space 2 in the near future.

Speaking of monsters, I also spent a bit of time testing out a newly acquired Nyko Perfect Shot pistol grip for the Wii by dual wielding handguns in The House of the Dead: Overkill for an hour or so and playing a bit of Raid Mode in Resident Evil: Revelations on the 3DS when I had some down time one afternoon. Outside of mowing down various forms of the undead, the rest of my gaming for the week consisted of Atari 2600 games played together with the misses. I've been really enjoying Game 5 in Breakout as of late, seeing how fast I can complete one screen of bricks (my current record for fastest time is 163 seconds) and I also explored some different game modes in the 2600's killer app Space Invaders. Starmaster is always great fun too. For the spousal unit's gaming this past week she set a new household high score record of 297,770 in Centipede then spent some time trying out Atari's not-so-arcade-accurate but still fun version of Pac-Man for the 2600. Still catching up on her reading she didn't play a whole lot else game wise this past week, but she did put a couple more hours into Star Fox Adventures last night and had fun with it.

Looking ahead to week I'm not too sure what I'll be playing. There is some DLC for Super Lucky's Tale on the Xbox One that I'd like to check out, and I still have a 1 month free trial of Xbox Game Pass (which is basically Netflix for video games, allowing you to download and play over a hundred different Xbox One games for $10 a month or so) that I haven't activated yet so there's definitely a good bit of modern gaming options at my disposal. I've also got a few classic Atari items coming in the mail, but the power supply I'll need to use them might not arrive in the mail for a while for a couple weeks so we'll have to wait and see on those. I'm guessing the misses will be getting in some more time in Star Fox Adventures next week but I'm not sure what if anything she has on her classic gaming agenda.

That about covers everything for this week, so until next time, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! And oh, a belated Happy Easter to all of you as well! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 13, running from March 26 - April 1. We logged 2171 minutes of eligible play, playing 63 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 237

2. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 220

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 183

4. Rabbit Transit (Atari 2600) - 110

5. Markus of Marinus (TI-99/4A) - 90

6. Beauty and the Beast (Intellivision) - 78

7. Tron: Maze-A-Tron (Intellivision) - 65

8. Space Armada (Intellivision) - 57

9. Sim City 2000 (Mac OS Classic) - 50

10. Commando Raid (Atari 2600) - 49

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 237

2. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 220

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 183

4. Rabbit Transit (Atari 2600) - 110

5. Markus of Marinus (TI-99/4A) - 90

6. Beauty and the Beast (Intellivision) - 78

7. Tron: Maze-A-Tron (Intellivision) - 65

8. Space Armada (Intellivision) - 57

9. Commando Raid (Atari 2600) - 49

10. Centipede (Atari 2600) - 46

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1196)

2. TI-99/4A (280)

3. Intellivision (231)

4. Mac OS Classic (115)

5. NES/Famicom (110)

6. Atari 8-bit (59)

7. Atari 5200 (40)

8. Arcade (38)

9. VIC-20 (28)

10. Atari 7800 (20)

It's a (bom, bom) 21st century fox! / It's a (bom, bom) 21st century fox! / Got the sun locked up inside a plastic box...

• Like 6