IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

So, how does one go about converting Spyro or Crash Bandicoot, or FFXI? :rolling:

The ISO header gets removed, the sector sizes change, some data is moved around and you put it onto the SD cart (extension .CD78). I think Shawn was thinking about PS1 support.

The ISO header gets removed, the sector sizes change, some data is moved around and you put it onto the SD cart (extension .CD78). I think Shawn was thinking about PS1 support.

Ya I was. I keep getting them mixed up. That last XM BIOS update we got was pretty massive and the new GUI has been wracking my brain. At least I got the playstation part right and didn't confuse it with the old canceled Saturn stuff again.

Okay, so much for being clever...

The in-board programming setup I incorporated into the board is not stable for some reason, the connection from the Atmel ISP software to the board craps out often during just doing blank checks and erase chain commands so I just ordered a ATF15XXDK3-SAJ84-N adapter for my ATF15xx-DK3 dev kit and will program the CPLD's that way it seems... crapping thing is its gotta come from Thailand, nobody in the US has one in stock so won't be here till Feb 27 :-(

Gonna keep trying a few things and just see if I can get around the issue while I'm waiting for the adapter to arrive, sorry for the delay guys, if anything changes before the 27th I will definitely post, hopefully with good news and some boot up screen shots...

• Like 10

Okay so I decided to build out another board with just PLCC socket, the caps, USB and JTAG connectors and tried again... no dice.

Okay so maybe my Parallel port is misconfigured so I double checked, all standard port & IRQ assignments, set to ECP/EPP so that's correct...

Tried on a 2nd computer.... fresh install of the S/W.... no dice, craps out midway every time.

So it is very possible that the ISP cable is dying or just about dead, so I just ordered a newer USB JTAG cable from Mouser 2nd UPS so let see if that resolves the issue short term and the ISP adapter rig will still be coming from MicroChip anyway so I'll have that to fall back on.

• Like 2

YEah, me and Mr. "A" already discussed... his programmer doesn't handle this chip.

Its okay I'll have the new USB JTAG programming cable on the 15th and can resume things. Mark doublechecked things on his end as well so things will get rolling again Thurs PM.

I bet at least one member here has a device to program those for you and make it a 3-5 day turnaround.

Too lazy to check right now, but I have a Xeltek SuperPro 610P.

• Like 6

Great News!!!

Got the ISP cable working, ran two tests - one to do a Blank check: Passed. Second to do an Erase: Passed.

So then I copied the latest JED file on the programming computer and loaded it up into the Chain and ran a Program and Verify: Passed !!!

So I have to do a few things non-XM related and tonight when I get back I will burn the latest BIOS chip that Mark created (Mark's Magic BIOS) and plug it into the PLCC socket and lets see if it'll boot.

I have video's on my phone of the programming sequence but they are too big to move over from my phone to computer so I posted them up onto the 7800 Expansion Module group on FB and I'll see if I can move them over to post here as well so I can keep everyone up to date.

Hoping to post Boot up video shortly.

• Like 11

I'm really digging that Mateos cart... I need to get one. Plus I'd also like to make sure it and the XM play nicely together, so even if its just a loaner I'd like to get one and hopefully be able to just buy one if available.

That's what I get 99% of the time when I try to play the $4000 or $450 POKEY versions of Bentley Bear on my Mateos cart (as opprosed to the MESS version which plays but has no sound).

• Like 1

I'm really digging that Mateos cart... I need to get one. Plus I'd also like to make sure it and the XM play nicely together, so even if its just a loaner I'd like to get one and hopefully be able to just buy one if available.

Prices are here, you need the dumper listed at the top, which loads for all his multicart types, and the 7800 multicart listed 3rd from the bottom. E-mail him using the contact link to purchase. You need your own POKEY for pokey games:

http://www.vectrex.hackermesh.org/index.php/en/mvbd-mvmc-3/faq

• Like 1

Trying to work with Mark and Perry to resolve this issue and get things to a boot screen of the BIOS...

I was missing the pull up resistor on the test line, added the 47k resistor to it tonight and burned the latest BIOS... unfortunately still no change, going to go back and again recheck all of the traces against the schematics and see if something was missed...

• Like 3

So going back and forth with Mark on the XM BIOS boot issue, he recommended jumping the TEST jumper and disabling the XM BIOS and straight booting up cartridges. So I did both a test of sensing 2600 carts and 7800 carts, both loaded. One step closer.

attachicon.gifIMG_6517.jpg

Colored Ms Pac-Man end label lettering ? I only ever see it with black lettering .

• Like 2