IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

And hand solder any dip chips that need to be installed. The ROM chip in the photo isn't even soldered in yet!

Nope it isn't. That is just a quick photo grab to show the chips the factory does, the eproms are done by hand. Similar to what would need to be done with the POKEY and HSC eprom on the XM board.

Cool, is there any reason you would want to remove this module when after it's plugged in? At the rate 7800 cases fall apart this pretty shells will be sitting on board with PCB. I have two 7800s and both have cases that both on the verge of completely falling apart. Is anyone going to make a custom case/shell for their 7800 when this becomes available?

Buy one of those Brazilian "Phantom" consoles off of eBay. It's a licensed 7800 case with a licensed NES mobo inside. Pop out the NES stuff and you have yourself a 7800 case with a long dust door on it too.

Damn it, I just gave away my evil plan to have a unique 7800...too bad that pesky divorce killed my bank account...err...credit accounts. :)

It would be so awesome to read some anecdotes about what it was like to work on that project . A YouTube vid would work too. Actually it would be very interesting to have both you (regarding the XM) and your friend (regarding the original MARIA chip) recount your experiences in a book or video or something.

And/or have Steve on record as to how much was left to complete on GUMBY. I understand the latest word from one of the recent public events was that it was "almost" finished.

The plastics I did from the original drawings from Tom Palecki of an early CPU add-on module design for the 7800 in spring of 84' before Atari canned that approach and went with the lower cost keyboard only through the joystick approach.

Curt, you just dropped another historical bombshell on us and in a drive-by manner too! :) An early CPU upgrade? Was this going to be a Mickey module for the 7800? I would certainly hope that's what Atari Inc's strategists were getting at considering they were planning to release the 7800 for Christmas 1984 and the Mickey for Christmas 1985...

Received a little disappointing news from Mouser on the 36 pin edge connectors with the longer tails needed for the cartridge interfaces. They are back ordered until April 6th. I have enough for this first batch I'm doing now and may 2-3 more in the office, but I'll have to see if I can get them from another supplier for the other batches, I'm not deterred, I'll find them...

• Like 2

I wish it was something like that, but only in our dreams... This was the CPU design that was done prior to going to the lower cost keyboard-joystick port design. I have some memo's which discuss concerns about noise and such (always a HUGE concern with Atari to keep on FCC's good side) but sorry no Amiga chip upgrades for the 7800 :-)

Curt, you just dropped another historical bombshell on us and in a drive-by manner too! :) An early CPU upgrade? Was this going to be a Mickey module for the 7800? I would certainly hope that's what Atari Inc's strategists were getting at considering they were planning to release the 7800 for Christmas 1984 and the Mickey for Christmas 1985...

• Like 1

Hi,

Another quick update, okay so the 84Pin PLCC sockets for the CPLD's have been ordered, also ordered were the 3 Pin Voltage resets for CPLD and the 3.58 Resonators for the Yamaha audio chip...

So once these are in I have all needed parts to complete the assembly of this first batch... Will be soldering this weekend components I already have in stock and get what I can completed while waiting for the rest, will post photos of the WIP board assemblies to show how they are coming...

• Like 15

Curt! Great stuff all around! Ive just recently started popping back in. Is your website going to have a change of address form? Mine changed by one digit! I also dont have the email I used back then, but I still know it if you need it for verification.

Those boards are looking pretty! I am so glad youre back!

I wish it was something like that, but only in our dreams... This was the CPU design that was done prior to going to the lower cost keyboard-joystick port design. I have some memo's which discuss concerns about noise and such (always a HUGE concern with Atari to keep on FCC's good side) but sorry no Amiga chip upgrades for the 7800 :-)

Another CPU design? Pray tell what they were getting at? I mean, I can understand adding a POKEY and a PIA in that case so that the 7800 would have SIO properly done but they were going with adding another CPU?

The slimmed down 7800 keyboard seems rather interesting....Somehow getting SIO to work and sending all the info through the joystick port seems, well, challenging. It would be pretty cool to see Atari 7800 BASIC, Video Writer, and AtariLab working on the 7800. I know you and Dan Kramer both have ROMs of all of those. :)

Are any going to be gluten free? :P

The struggle is real. My daughter suffers from that. And she has it without Celiac. We had to have her biopsied from her GI tract back when she was 2. I'm so happy so many people have made gluten-free trend a popular fad because all of the new products out there is helping those with the real health issue.

But back to all things Atari...

• Like 1

The struggle is real. My daughter suffers from that. And she has it without Celiac. We had to have her biopsied from her GI tract back when she was 2. I'm so happy so many people have made gluten-free trend a popular fad because all of the new products out there is helping those with the real health issue.

But back to all things Atari...

I am glad they figured it out early. My aunt in the states went thru problaby 10 operations in the 70s and 80s till they figured it out. Today people know or should know more about gluten intolerance and its symptoms.

Basically if you take all fast food and pizza out of your diet your headed towards gluten free. I laugh at marketing they put gluten free stickers on bottled water and rice.. Duh?!

Edited by Jinks