IGNORED

the official Channel F thread!

I was going to use the Mateo Vectrex cart that you just hook up via USB and drop a bin file on but... haven't gotten to it yet. 

I recall you had to prevent Windows 10 to write the "System Volume Information" folder on it (don't recall how atm) but previous OS:es, I'm guessing others as well, worked fine. 

It identifies as a USB memory stick and then the software handles the .bin file drop. 

Got some parts and reverse engineered a schematic as well... but not more than that.
https://vectrex.fandom.com/wiki/Mateos_Vectrex_Rewritable_Multigame_Cart

I should get to it some day, was hoping 3DMAZE was about done with his version. I believe it was ready enough for beta-testing but I haven't heard anything for a while. 

I'm sure there's a time constraint there too.  ;)

• Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, kleeder said:

i hope u didnt get mad from listening to this track over and over. lol

How could I go mad listening to such great tunes! :)

On 8/28/2022 at 10:41 PM, Crimefighter said:

Question has been raised - how can a recently made homebrew game be played on original hardware?  Been looking for anything to load ROMs from an SD card (like the recently made Centipede) but no luck thus far...

That's exactly what I'm working on atm! Here's a look at the recent prototypes:

image.thumb.png.d27ea034e8579b5f38cf2dd3a67ac851.png

And here's Centipede running on my Channel F via the flashcart (seems to run without any issues):

image.thumb.png.d1d1a6f5ca6e4ae41bba5f5122643f84.png

Life's been busy busy busy, but both prototype units are out. @e5frog @Mikebloke expect to get them in ~6-10 business days according to USPS. I'll PM you guys the tracking numbers. I didn't want to make any updates until I at least had made more progress and had shipping sorted.

As for where we're at now:

• Power consumption was lowered to ~79 mA with a high of ~125 mA on boot. I should be able to lower it further by lowering the clock frequency.

• The Channel F should be able to handle the above current, but if I'm wrong your system gets fried. @e5frog, I've included the diode and some other parts that you can solder yourself if you're feeling brave :). Otherwise it runs from micro USB as normal. @Mikebloke, it doesn't sound like you can solder, so I've included a wire with a header that one end of the diode could be placed in. Your unit has the old chips and runs at ~136 mA. It might be safe to run on internal power, but best not try until it's confirmed to be safe.

• The .bin to .chf converter script was completed and is described here. This is the first version, so bugs are always possible. I'll add multi-cart support in the next update.

• The flashcart can now run .chf files generated by the script above, as well as the original .bin file support.

• For the videocart itself, I've sourced some screws that seem to fit perfectly, and have got a decent label design. For the release version I'll probably go with a different cart colour and Glossy label. Also, I've noticed my github repo calls it the picoVideocart, the label says Flashcart-pi, and the PCB says Videocart-pi. Might need to finalize a name for this thing, lol.

• The cache(?) bug still exists, but I'm gonna get in contact with the guy (Earle Philhower) who developed the pico core I'm using. He should have some interesting insights since he knows the system far better.

• I think I've done my best to debug with the regular games, but it's hard to spot the exact issue. If I learn F8 assembly I can make my own test ROMs to try and pinpoint the issue. Does it occur on a memory boundary, a specific instruction, etc... This'll also let me start work on a rudimentary multi-menu. I've written x86 assembly before, so the F8 shouldn't be too bad to pick up.

All that's left until official release is:

• Multi-menu (some basic text drawing with up/down controls)

• Fix the cache(?) bug so I can get 100% compatibility with no issues (ideally done before your prototypes arrive, then you can just update the firmware)

Stretch goals like save files, interrupts, timers, etc. Can be done after official release

Edited by 3DMAZE
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, 3DMAZE said:

And here's Centipede running on my Channel F via the flashcart (seems to run without any issues):

Life's been busy busy busy, but both prototype units are out. @e5frog @Mikebloke expect to get them in ~6-10 business days according to USPS. I'll PM you guys the tracking numbers. I didn't want to make any updates until I at least had made more progress and had shipping sorted.

• Power consumption was lowered to ~79 mA with a high of ~125 mA on boot. I should be able to lower it further by lowering the clock frequency.

• The Channel F should be able to handle the above current, but if I'm wrong your system gets fried. @e5frog, I've included the diode and some other parts that you can solder yourself if you're feeling brave :). Otherwise it runs from micro USB as normal. @Mikebloke, it doesn't sound like you can solder, so I've included a wire with a header that one end of the diode could be placed in. Your unit has the old chips and runs at ~136 mA. It might be safe to run on internal power, but best not try until it's confirmed to be safe.

• The .bin to .chf converter script was completed and is described here. This is the first version, so bugs are always possible. I'll add multi-cart support in the next update.

• The flashcart can now run .chf files generated by the script above, as well as the original .bin file support.

• For the videocart itself, I've sourced some screws that seem to fit perfectly, and have got a decent label design. For the release version I'll probably go with a different cart colour and Glossy label. Also, I've noticed my github repo calls it the picoVideocart, the label says Flashcart-pi, and the PCB says Videocart-pi. Might need to finalize a name for this thing, lol.

• The cache(?) bug still exists, but I'm gonna get in contact with the guy (Earle Philhower) who developed the pico core I'm using. He should have some interesting insights since he knows the system far better.

• I think I've done my best to debug with the regular games, but it's hard to spot the exact issue. If I learn F8 assembly I can make my own test ROMs to try and pinpoint the issue. Does it occur on a memory boundary, a specific instruction, etc... This'll also let me start work on a rudimentary multi-menu. I've written x86 assembly before, so the F8 shouldn't be too bad to pick up.

• Fix the cache(?) bug so I can get 100% compatibility with no issues (ideally done before your prototypes arrive, then you can just update the firmware)

Stretch goals like save files, interrupts, timers, etc. Can be done after official release

Super excited, I'll try my best to wait! Ironically my wife can solider and she tells me many times, but she hasn't jumped at the chance to show me yet (and I have a game gear that's needed sorting out for years!)

• Like 2

On 9/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, 3DMAZE said:

Looks awesome.  May have to actually go out and try to score a Channel F which I should have done years ago.

• Like 2

So it arrived today, @3DMAZE has done a fine job, I've tested a few games, looking at what he has on screen for Centipede I think there is a slight difference for PAL hiding a few pixels on some or all sides when I tested it.

Here is an image of a rom I haven't released yet of a squash game, working better on romcart than it does in emulator! 

Had a go at boxing v3 with it too, sound at end issue to fix but other than that working perfectly, shark is pretty close too just need to adjust for resolution crop. 

DSC_1204.thumb.JPG.95fa0bba7e8cdc04b77d6b19e258fe8b.jpeg

• Like 4

So I've tested elevator events on it, and had the first row chopped off, however when I tried it with an rf to hdmi converter, whole screen is there, so it's my TV interpretating the signal more than any particular rom. I'll probably try and be careful with my games to ensure they are visible either way, but good to know that it's not a console, pal, or cart issue, just a TV one! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Has anybody seen this style of box before? Was it indeed used for refurbished units as the person auctioning it for charity donations on Facebook guesses?

E1EE0C18-677A-4BD8-91EE-F17B576849EC.thumb.jpeg.9cde58cbc53802cf1344fca063c11ec3.jpeg

The Magnavox Odyssey has an outer cardboard box when it was initially released, this might be something similar, pretty much everyone threw it away as soon as they got it in the odysseys case. It would make sense why other countried didn't have it too, unnecessary extra packaging. 

Video system F is a curious term to use, could it be third party? 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:51 AM, Mikebloke said:

The Magnavox Odyssey has an outer cardboard box when it was initially released, this might be something similar, pretty much everyone threw it away as soon as they got it in the odysseys case. It would make sense why other countried didn't have it too, unnecessary extra packaging. 

Video system F is a curious term to use, could it be third party? 

My guess is an as cheap as possible box used by Zircon - same thing as with the game boxes.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, e5frog said:

My guess is an as cheap as possible box used by Zircon - same thing as with the game boxes.

That's interesting I never really thought that Zircon was selling consoles, I presume there was no further production but perhaps there were some units sold to them with the acquisition that they boxed up for sale. It might explain the wording!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 10:37 AM, Mikebloke said:

That's interesting I never really thought that Zircon was selling consoles, I presume there was no further production but perhaps there were some units sold to them with the acquisition that they boxed up for sale. It might explain the wording!

I'm under the impression they took over the whole stock . There was some online information, now taken down, on the history that may have helped... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a couple of new games for everyone, the first I released on itch.io after seeing Arlasoft use it... (hope its ok me following you there XD)

Check here if anyone is interested in what I upload there though I'll pick and choose what ends up here or there first: https://mikebloke.itch.io/

0043.png.f0e82a81d7c4f154fa757a2cff37ffbc.png

This is my interpretation of the Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device, a thing that never actually got produced properly in the end, only a concept one I believe. Like with Bucket Filler, I'm basing this on my interpretation of what it might look like, obviously Channel F'd as well. Its not easy to understand so I'll link the itch.io page for more info. Basically you can either randomise target position or place it, then you can change the angle (represented by a plain number) and the delay timer for detonation. I do plan on improving this at some point, but it is "basic" on purpose for acting as a simulation.

https://mikebloke.itch.io/cathode-ray-tube-am

0045.png.0e60b4f792c4173a0e1548308e1d0b89.png

The second game is something I've been working on the last few days, its a port of Speed Race, a 1974 arcade game by Taito, and obviously a big influence on later titles. A lot of 2nd gen consoles have this type of racer because its really quite basic, 2600, 1292 etc all have some kind of version of this for better or worse. It does slow down for 3 or 4 cars, but hopefully still enjoyable. I imagine a bit of optimisation might happen. Its got an instruction booklet too, just like I did for Boxing. Note that I have 2 versions, one is a d-pad version probably better for emulating with keyboard. The "T" version is for twist - for those with the ability to play with real controllers, twisting it right and left will move left and right, I had a go with it and it works quite well I think.

0046.png.a0c901dbe7881feafaf08e9409376bf1.png

Oh, I realised I hadn't even uploaded the Squash game I showed earlier - I'll put that up here too. Basic, conceptional, not really a game.

Downloads here:

crtag2.bin - Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device

speedracet.bin - Speed Race Twist version, for real controllers

speedraced.bin - Speed Race D pad version, for alternative controllers / keyboards

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPEEDRACE.docx - Instructions for Speed Race you can download and print

squash.bin - Squash game I tested on flashcart above

• Thanks 1

I was playing around with the ports, there's 0 and 1 on the CPU and 4 and 5 on one of the 3851 PSU:s (with firmware). 

As the ports are latched you have two bytes, a nibble and a bit extra memory that you can use, if needed. 
Enabling port 4 using "outs 0" with $40 or other data with bit 6 active will make it available (port 5 is ready to use). 
The upper four nibbles of port 0 are free to use and the top bit of port 1 can be toggled. 

Nice thing about it is that they stay there after a soft reset (pressing reset button or jumping in program), only the registers are blanked. If there's RAM it would of course be unchanged as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e5frog said:

I was playing around with the ports, there's 0 and 1 on the CPU and 4 and 5 on one of the 3851 PSU:s (with firmware). 

As the ports are latched you have two bytes, a nibble and a bit extra memory that you can use, if needed. 
Enabling port 4 using "outs 0" with $40 or other data with bit 6 active will make it available (port 5 is ready to use). 
The upper four nibbles of port 0 are free to use and the top bit of port 1 can be toggled. 

Nice thing about it is that they stay there after a soft reset (pressing reset button or jumping in program), only the registers are blanked. If there's RAM it would of course be unchanged as well. 

This is my ignorance showing again, is there any code examples of how to write and read ram, and any examples of your port discoveries. I should probably learn how to use channel f ram... 

• Like 1

Port 0: has buttons hooked up to it and two control lines for writing graphics and enable controller - bits 7 and 4 are not used.

Port 1: right hand controller and shared upper two bits for setting color (0, 4, 8 or C) controller input can be blocked with "enable" via Port 0.

Port 2: and 3 are not available, the second PSU might be a 3899 that has no ports  - or there are ports but they're not hooked up (for some reason). 

Port 4: left hand controller and horizontal coordinate (X), all 8 bits are controller with Port 0 enable signal.

Port 5: sound on upper two bits, the other 6 are for vertical coordinate (Y)

For horizontal coordinate and color, the enable signal must be set to 1 ($40 on port 0) otherwise it's controller inputs.

I have only tested it in emulation (MESSUI) - it will be interesting to see if it's the same on the real machine, I'm trying to write an as extensive test program as possible. 

It's common to see a reset like this in the beginning of code, Videocart 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 15, 19 and Democart has this, the other originals do not:

clr
outs 1
outs 4
outs 5
outs 0

Port 4 will then not change due to port 0 not enabling write by setting bit 6 to 1 (when enabling it you'll instantly get a value (latest set?) from the horizontal I/O bus). I haven't examined that more. 
I could only change Port 1 on the top bit, bit 7 - according to my tests in MESSUI 0.235. (Do the 74153 pull the signal?). The upper two bits (for color) are also enable/disabled from hand controller according to schematic.
Seems bit 6 should be able to be set as well... will need to check again. 

To init port data it could be better to do this, IMHO - if it's even needed:

clr
com      ; $FF in reg A
outs 0
outs 1
outs 4
outs 5

That should result in all four ports set to $FF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm producing a rom pack which is nearly complete (not a lot to look for to be fair!). 

I might contact a few developers to make sure they are OK with some of their work being included as there is quite a bit of in progress stuff or things which might not have been 100% public but will ask first. I'm happy to keep this regularly updated as new works are completed, we might even start seeing new faces looking to program for the system if they can easily test on real hardware. 

Being privileged enough to have one of 3DMAZEs prototypes, being able to take advantage of the unique controller with real hardware has been a massive bonus in taking advantage of all the inputs that you don't get on a traditional controller or keyboard through emulation! 

• Like 2