IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

I can think of a few iphone games with similiar gameplay to Quantum, but it's blowing my mind to "discover" a new-to-me Atari arcade game after all this time.

most people don't know about 'liberator' either.. the inverse missile command... there was a missile command 2 , head to head,

but it was only a prototype.

later

Yeah I would have rather it been the first Mortal Kombat instead of 4, but it's still pretty cool. If they somehow did a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cab, I would be very tempted. So far the one with Tempest would be the one I'd get if I had to decide.

Edited by xenomorpher

Yeah I would have rather it been the first Mortal Kombat instead of 4, but it's still pretty cool. If they somehow did a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cab, I would be very tempted. So far the one with Tempest would be the one I'd get if I had to decide.

Same here. The first game in the series is my favorite so without the original Mortal Kombat I wouldn't even consider buying a MK cab from Arcade1Up.

They don't have to be good to sell through. Seems like there's a hunger for this kind of thing?

I'd suggest for the second and third lines to succeed the first one would have to reach somewhere between a casual's expectations and an aficionado's. There are posts in this thread that expect much less, and if that happens then the second and third ones won't do well.*

Well, at least that's how the free market is supposed to work. ;)

*The caveat being longevity questions. If the controls wear out in a year then, sure, the other lines could have succeeded by then.

Edited by PlaysWithWolves

The thing is - these arent a value added item like a console, which plays many games, also plays movies, streaming services, casual party games. Etc. these are a novelty.

This is a dedicated piece of hardware that has very limited appeal. You have to really love the specific and limited number of games you get, and thats it. It wont ever be anything more than it is.

And its $300. Thats a lot of money for most consumers. Especially when you can spend less than that on a 50 inch 4K TV, or a console for many more games, or a tablet that has multiple uses.

Getting people to send $300 on a limited use novelty once isnt easy. Getting them to buy a second? Much harder.

The thing is - these arent a value added item like a console, which plays many games, also plays movies, streaming services, casual party games. Etc. these are a novelty.

This is a dedicated piece of hardware that has very limited appeal. You have to really love the specific and limited number of games you get, and thats it. It wont ever be anything more than it is.

And its $300. Thats a lot of money for most consumers. Especially when you can spend less than that on a 50 inch 4K TV, or a console for many more games, or a tablet that has multiple uses.

Getting people to send $300 on a limited use novelty once isnt easy. Getting them to buy a second? Much harder.

i agree..

but so far they are putting out the heavy hitters..

and there are always games, that are peoples favorites..

there's going to be people that like the main games, and the extras are usually bonus.

as long as they keep up a good selection, they will have a chance.

there's no shortage of titles to pick from, or series, but they will have to get the licensing though.

later

You're assuming everyone interested in these shoots their wad on the first run. I also wouldn't be surprised if there's a decent game room market for these. Spend a lot on a real (and bulky) single game arcade cab? Or use that money to buy several much less bulky cabs with more games?

Thankfully, it's their problem and not ours.

looks like there could be a possibility of some cocktail sized cabinets (not sure of the actual size):

1 street fighter 2 , with a vertical splitscreen so both can see the game

2 atari centipede - asteroids

3 space invaders

4 pac-man

i like the cocktail format, but if you play a long time, you get a hunched back,

and your wrists hurt a lot.

also the viewing angle is pretty bad.

later

You're assuming everyone interested in these shoots their wad on the first run. I also wouldn't be surprised if there's a decent game room market for these. Spend a lot on a real (and bulky) single game arcade cab? Or use that money to buy several much less bulky cabs with more games?

A room full of mini arcades and a few short wheelie stools? I'd be up for that if I had more space. I'm sure some completists will get them all.

From watching the how to build it instruction video on their website - it looks like they are using a proprietary LCD screen with no video inputs, the board is built into the screen on the back. If theres no VGA input on these, modding then will be a bitch. Bummer.

not necessarily, the monitor still needs basic signals, power, etc, etc, there are plenty of people that can figure that stuff out (like at arcadecontrols, klov, etc)

if not, just substitute your own, and use the cabinet as a shell.

later