IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

already been done, and worth looking into: $350

https://www.recroommasters.com/19-Xtension-Alpha-Cade-for-Raspberry-Pi-and-PC-p/rm-xt-alpha-emulation.htm

RM-XT-ALPHA-EMULATION-2T.jpg?1531565479

later

Rasberry Pi / PC, Monitor & Games Not Included

cheaper, and no legal hassles with licensing.

also, their controls are more official and better quality.

i like the flexibility of it, and who doesn't have an extra monitor or computer around,

if not, they are cheap to add on.

later

Rasberry Pi / PC, Monitor & Games Not Included

Looks similar to the other solutions out there. I wonder if it really includes "everything" except the Rpi3 & monitor.. It doesn't really say. For example, how about speakers?

In an earlier post I said how much it cost me to build me an rpi3 cab.. If I was to break it down:

Cabinet ~$220

Sanwa Controls (2x joystick, 20 buttons) ~$90
Then..
RPi ~ $50
large gig micro SD ~$25
Refurb 22" monitor ~$80 - I actually had a monitor laying around that fit fine..but the viewing angles on it sucked. So I went for a refurb one on Amazon.
Car Amplifier ~$10
2x speakers ~$15
LED light strip (for bezel) ~$10
And other incidentals I probably forgot.. like the artwork, and the power strip.
  • Like 1

also, their controls are more official and better quality.

i like the flexibility of it, and who doesn't have an extra monitor or computer around,

if not, they are cheap to add on.

I actually ended up ordering this - should arrive this week. It does not include speakers. For my purposes, one of the main reasons why I went for the mini-cab rather than the tabletop is to have room to put a subwoofer in the base of the cabinet. I think it'll be fun. I am actually fairly handy with woodworking, but considering the time and labor I think this kit will be a good value for me. I'll write up my impressions once I've got it assembled.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

"Here's a quick look with no background noise so you can also hear the clickiness of the buttons and the original sound effects."

Erm, the arcade game didn't have clicky buttons. Do not want.

When you're mashing on the buttons, you can hear them, correct? Yes.

you supply the monitor to put in what you want..

unless it's a vertical one, and even then, you could

probably put in a bracket.

later

Seems like too much trouble to me, which is always the problem with these "just do it yourself" things. You end up paying more for something that's better in some ways and worse in others than what Arcade1Up is offering.

• Like 1

It's all a matter of weighing the trade-offs. With the Xtension kit you have a similar 3/4 form factor and ~60lb. weight, but the unit is about four inches wider and will fit a slightly bigger monitor/TV. I expect the controls are a bit higher quality than Arcade1Up, but we'll have to wait and see. But you've got to be a bit more technically savvy and set up your own PC or Pi. I've already got a laptop with MAME set up so it's not much hassle for me to just stow it in the cabinet and attach the USB for the controls, but for many more people, they haven't even heard of MAME or Raspberry Pi. With the Arcade1Up units you've got the simplicity of plug-and-play with an on/off switch, and the beautiful cabinet graphics. I think they're both appealing. But I don't want to hijack this thread with a different product line, I just keep coming back to the realization that none of these products are perfect for everyone, but it's damned exciting that they're happening and there are more options than ever before! It really is a dream come true for someone who was a kid in the arcade era.

Well, there's one review in the "positive" column, I guess.

It's encouraging that the emulation seems to be pretty good, and the front-end is simple to use.

I must say though, it was illuminating to see the guy pick up the fully assembled cabinet like it was a garbage can and move it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see how something that light would stay put with 2 full grown men wailing on the controls playing a game like Street Fighter 2.

• Like 1