IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

The more I look at that Class of '81, the more I want it. It would be nice to have a cab that has some games that appeal to just about anyone, and I have a couple of grand daughters that I would love to introduce to Ms. Pacman. It's just a cabinet that I probably wouldn't put a ton of time into personally. 

• Like 1

Well I went and ordered the Class of '81. I figured out a way to have room for 16 of these cabs. This will be my 6th. I'm not sure what the future holds, right now I could use the Street Fighter Legacy as I like the game selections. I would also like the Turtles in Time, and I'm still considering the T2. Really though just hoping to see some great new items pop up next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Well I went and ordered the Class of '81. I figured out a way to have room for 16 of these cabs. This will be my 6th. I'm not sure what the future holds, right now I could use the Street Fighter Legacy as I like the game selections. I would also like the Turtles in Time, and I'm still considering the T2. Really though just hoping to see some great new items pop up next year.

Probably at CES in January is when we'll hear the most information about what's coming up. There was a leaked video a couple of months back that showed a newer, very accurately-shaped cab design for Centipede. It's not confirmed that that's really coming out - but considering that they were doing a professional photo/video shoot for it, it seems plausible. Also it's generally expected that there will be a Robotron/Smash TV/Total Carnage cabinet some time next year. Might be nice to throw NARC and Joust on there as well.

• Like 1

I assembled my Class of '81 today, and I must say it is indeed a very nice looking cab! The game selection is fantastic, I'll probably end up playing this more than I originally thought, especially since it has WIFI leaderboards, that is a sweet addition. 

I've never heard of Rompers or King and Balloon. I played both real quick, and they aren't bad, in fact King & Balloon is a nice Galaxian variant and hard as nails too like the others. Rompers is some kind of Pac-Man maze game, it appears to be the most advanced game on this cabinet, technologically (graphically) speaking. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

I assembled my Class of '81 today, and I must say it is indeed a very nice looking cab! The game selection is fantastic, I'll probably end up playing this more than I originally thought, especially since it has WIFI leaderboards, that is a sweet addition. 

I've never heard of Rompers or King and Balloon. I played both real quick, and they aren't bad, in fact King & Balloon is a nice Galaxian variant and hard as nails too like the others. Rompers is some kind of Pac-Man maze game, it appears to be the most advanced game on this cabinet, technologically (graphically) speaking. 

Is there a weekly and/or monthly leaderboard as well as all-time? How does it work with entering your name/initials - does it display them or some other kind of identifying name/code?

I finally went for it and ordered the stand-up Out Run. Looks like it'll be here tomorrow.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 2

Just now, Zoyous said:

Is there a weekly and/or monthly leaderboard as well as all-time? How does it work with entering your name/initials - does it display them or some other kind of identifying name/code?

It looks like just all-time scores. You get to enter your own user name that appears on the leaderboard. You enter a bunch of info during setup, and then it saves everything from then on automatically.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

It looks like just all-time scores. You get to enter your own user name that appears on the leaderboard. You enter a bunch of info during setup, and then it saves everything from then on automatically.

Did they fix the Ms. pac-man scores, i saw one person on youtube show them, and 1 was 700,000+, and 2nd was a score of 0.

Also, i wonder if that was on standard settings, or fast speed. (are there different scoreboards for different settings?)

later

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

Did they fix the Ms. pac-man scores, i saw one person on youtube show them, and 1 was 700,000+, and 2nd was a score of 0.

Also, i wonder if that was on standard settings, or fast speed. (are there different scoreboards for different settings?)

later

I can't speak to your first question, but yes there are different scoreboards  for default settings and 'any' setting.

• Like 1

Ridge Racer Preorders hit tomorrow (22 NOV 2021), and I think I'm actually down for one of them. I'm not a big emulation fan, but I do have room for this little driving cab, and I don't have room for a real one. ?

It seems the wheel is a rumbling unit, and the wifi high scores also interest me. I have no idea if these games originally had a feedback wheel, or just a vibrating one, since I've actually never seen any of these games in arcades, much less played them.

I'm probably going to slot it in where my (vectrex setup currently lives). It's a shame it's not a multi-midway racer, but I'll just bet I could get one of those 1up outrun boards as a spare off ebay and slot that into the Ridge Racer cab to get those games for it too. And who knows, with all those Mortal Kombat Midway arcade 1ups, maybe a Midway driving cab isn't that far off.

Anyway, I was interested enough that a made a video talking about it, while I familiarized myself with Ace Driver. Using a joypad controller makes the footage a bit jerkier than it would be with a wheel, unfortunately.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

Does anybody have the seated Outrun cabinet? How sturdy is it? How does it play?

I am really tempted by this Cyber Weekend deal for $450:

https://arcade1up.com/collections/holiday-deals/products/outrun™-seated-arcade-cabinet

Not least because it is the only way to play the real Outrunners at home…

Edit: @Cobra Kai holy crap, I wrote off Class of 81 because I assumed it would be just Ms Pac Man and Galaga, but that is a killer game list with my favorite lesser known titles (Galaga 88, Mappy, Dig Dug 2) along with the classics. I will have to add that to the “someday” list…

I don’t care for the Defender cab at all. I like Mortal Kombat just fine but keep it out of my Williams arcade classics. Sheesh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Does anybody have the seated Outrun cabinet? How sturdy is it? How does it play?

I am really tempted by this Cyber Weekend deal for $450:

https://arcade1up.com/collections/holiday-deals/products/outrun™-seated-arcade-cabinet

Not least because it is the only way to play the real Outrunners at home…

I opted for the upright cab because I'm 6'6". The main problem I see with the seated cab is that the pedals are directly below the steering wheel, so it's going to make you sit in an awkward pose that will get uncomfortable if you play for more than a few minutes. However, at that price you could always just put it on a riser and play it upright if you end up not liking it seated, and you'd still be getting a deal.

I've only had mine for a few days, but it's sturdy. Gameplay is really solid. You can adjust difficulty (e.g., amount of traffic in Out Run) and time limits. The wheel is the best quality part. There is a calibration menu you can access to adjust wheel and pedal sensitivity. Rad Rally is the fifth game on the cabinet (you might have to download it separately if you're getting the sit down cab) and the steering is much more sensitive in that, so re-calibrating for that game is a good option to have. The gear shifter feels a little cheap but it does the job. The pedals feel the cheapest and make a clacking sound when you're playing. I've ordered some aluminum pedals that just slip over the existing plastic pedals and supposedly feel better and minimize the plastic clacking sound. The pedals are true analog so you can make fine adjustments to acceleration and braking.

I'm looking forward to getting into Outrunners, as I never saw that in the arcades back in the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I opted for the upright cab because I'm 6'6". The main problem I see with the seated cab is that the pedals are directly below the steering wheel, so it's going to make you sit in an awkward pose that will get uncomfortable if you play for more than a few minutes. However, at that price you could always just put it on a riser and play it upright if you end up not liking it seated, and you'd still be getting a deal.

Are the pedals permanently mounted on the cabinet or are they on a cable or something? In the photos it looks like a separate module that could be pulled out…

13 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Are the pedals permanently mounted on the cabinet or are they on a cable or something? In the photos it looks like a separate module that could be pulled out…

The peddles are a separate module with a cable. I used some velcro to secure it a little bit to the riser.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

They're not attached to the cabinet but they are designed so that the back end of the pedal housing fits snugly into a small cutout in the cabinet base (or in the riser in the case of the upright). They have a long cord so there's a lot of flexibility as to where you place them. Ergonomically I think it would be best if they could actually go inside the cabinet a little further.

• Like 2

I wish room and price weren't such a concern, because having that Ridge Racer unit with the few games it has would be quite a bit of fun due to the just enough variety there.  I remember when an emulator for Ridge and Rage Racer popped up like 20 years ago, it was such a fine ride even if it was just using a keyboard and stuff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I've only had mine for a few days, but it's sturdy. Gameplay is really solid. You can adjust difficulty (e.g., amount of traffic in Out Run) and time limits. The wheel is the best quality part. There is a calibration menu you can access to adjust wheel and pedal sensitivity. Rad Rally is the fifth game on the cabinet (you might have to download it separately if you're getting the sit down cab) and the steering is much more sensitive in that, so re-calibrating for that game is a good option to have. The gear shifter feels a little cheap but it does the job. The pedals feel the cheapest and make a clacking sound when you're playing. I've ordered some aluminum pedals that just slip over the existing plastic pedals and supposedly feel better and minimize the plastic clacking sound. The pedals are true analog so you can make fine adjustments to acceleration and braking.

I'm looking forward to getting into Outrunners, as I never saw that in the arcades back in the day.

Hi, so does the stand up actually come with Rad Rally already available to play? On their website they only list a firmware update to enable it on the sit down https://arcade1up.com/pages/outrun-seated-arcade-cabinet-bonus-game-firmware-update

thanks

• Like 1

So I put the new pedals on my Out Run cabinet and I can confirm that the pedals no longer make worrisome plastic clacking noises. They also just give a more solid and somewhat weighty feeling. The pedals have bases that are made of a firm but flexible rubber material and they just grip around the existing plastic pedals. However, I will say that they don't appear to be custom designed for the stock pedals - they are somewhat larger, but they grip at enough points that they won't easily come off during regular play. That being the case, I wonder if they were just pre-existing aftermarket pedal designs that the manufacturer noticed just happened to fit on the Out Run stock pedals. So with that in mind, if you're interested in upgrading the pedals, it might be worth taking the pedal measurements and looking around if you have a custom automotive parts shop nearby to see if you can find a better deal. The ones I found were $65 for both brake and accelerator pedals on Etsy.

• Like 1