IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

3 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Looks like they've got those iiRcades on clearance... it could be worth it to pick one up and tilt down that speaker panel like it should be and put a proper marquee on it. Could look nice!

Apologies, I should have read this from my computer instead of responding to my phones pop-up.   

Yes, they've been running a sale on the cabinets for a few weeks now, the price for the Classic can't be beat for $299.  

I personally like the design as it reminds me of the Neo Geo Gold cabs.  

• Like 1

Well after watching the review I find the Tron cab to be acceptable. Especially considering that everything is new and clean and ready to assemble. No ratbagging it with a creaky old unit that had stuff living inside it which is now buried under a cm of dust. No buzzy monitors, no high power consumption, no rotting particle board, no battles with CRT geometry. And no electron gun radiation!

Sure it wouldn't stand up well in a commercial environment, but that's not the target audience. The home is. And these Arcade 1Ups are perfectly dainty'n'delicate to fit there. No bulk, no annoyances or farting around with moving it in a pickup truck either..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Been watching a bunch of videos of some super nice (and expensive!) home arcades with like, a dozen or more A1up Machines, sometimes all of the above plus Darts, iiRcade, AtGames Legends, Pinball... some really fun stuff.

But that said I don't think that's really what I'd love for me personally, as I don't have kids, don't often have tons of people over, and mostly play on my own or with like, one to three friends.  With that in mind it just seems so redundant in a way to have so many games that just use a joystick and buttons for controls.  Like, dudes, get one, get a Pi or a PC in there, upgrade the parts, and you're going to spend less time, $, and a ton less space to accomplish the same thing.  But I realize...doesn't allow a birthday party for 20 young kids to all play simultaneously :)

Oh and for the iiRcade, the Classic at $300 has been sold out since like day 1 :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Been watching a bunch of videos of some super nice (and expensive!) home arcades with like, a dozen or more A1up Machines, sometimes all of the above plus Darts, iiRcade, AtGames Legends, Pinball... some really fun stuff.

But that said I don't think that's really what I'd love for me personally, as I don't have kids, don't often have tons of people over, and mostly play on my own or with like, one to three friends.  With that in mind it just seems so redundant in a way to have so many games that just use a joystick and buttons for controls.  Like, dudes, get one, get a Pi or a PC in there, upgrade the parts, and you're going to spend less time, $, and a ton less space to accomplish the same thing.  But I realize...doesn't allow a birthday party for 20 young kids to all play simultaneously :)

Oh and for the iiRcade, the Classic at $300 has been sold out since like day 1 :)

A person doesn't get these because they  are economical or the 'smart' thing to do for a home arcade. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, any one of us could acquire arcade games at home for a far cheaper price and less space, with numerous options. I could buy a Multicade for $2000-3000 and be done, or build one of various MAME setups on a PC and build a custom joystick, or just buy an OG XBOX filled with ROMS (which I already own 2 of these). 

This is not about the just having the games to play in the cheapest quickest way possible, because if that was the goal then Arcade 1up certainly isn't for you. For me, this is about bringing home the actual feel of the old times at the arcade that I grew up in during the 80's. I now have real cabinets with nice artwork on the side, mounted controls. Sure, I don't have 4,000 games to choose from, but I don't care about that. Right now I have 6 cabinets that contain around a total of 100 games I can play. If I want to, I can turn all the machines on and have that arcade NOISE, I love that. It's about aesthetic and atmosphere. If you don't get what that means, then you don't want these machines.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

A person doesn't get these because they  are economical or the 'smart' thing to do for a home arcade. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, any one of us could acquire arcade games at home for a far cheaper price and less space, with numerous options. I could buy a Multicade for $2000-3000 and be done, or build one of various MAME setups on a PC and build a custom joystick, or just buy an OG XBOX filled with ROMS (which I already own 2 of these). 

This is not about the just having the games to play in the cheapest quickest way possible, because if that was the goal then Arcade 1up certainly isn't for you. For me, this is about bringing home the actual feel of the old times at the arcade that I grew up in during the 80's. I now have real cabinets with nice artwork on the side, mounted controls. Sure, I don't have 4,000 games to choose from, but I don't care about that. Right now I have 6 cabinets that contain around a total of 100 games I can play. If I want to, I can turn all the machines on and have that arcade NOISE, I love that. It's about aesthetic and atmosphere. If you don't get what that means, then you don't want these machines.

My post was really mostly a mind-dump, and I wasn't trying to rip on people who have a bunch of these, really for any reason.  I was just kind of verbalizing out loud why I shouldn't / won't be a candidate for a whole ton of them, even though I honestly do really like a lot of them and am thinking about adding a few more to my arcade area long with Star Wars.  You do get to a point of too many choices (at least I do!) with the OG Xbox modded (which I have one of), PCs with all the roms, etc.  I am likely going to end up with my multicade, my Star Wars...maybe the Atari Legacy, hopefully sometime a Skee Ball and Pinball or two...and maybe just for fun a few others.  Really dig the Art with Raiden on the MK / Midway Legacy cab, plus Bubbles and Root Beer Tapper lol.  And definitely getting a Robotron if it ever comes out.  And also considering the Tron since my multicade doesn't have a spinner and I love the look...just wish it was closer to $500 than $700.

I totally hear you re: the sound of the arcade with all the machines running in attract mode (though that's a good reason to NOT get the Simpsons!  A friend who worked at Showbiz back in the day was ready to take a sledgehammer to that machine after hearing the Bart / Lisa screaming double attack too many times!).

• Like 1

Here is one example that I was attempting to convince myself I didn't need to try to be like.  After further watching and thought, I am going back on all that I said initially and if I get the $ and space set up, this is a LOT like what I actually probably do want :)

https://youtu.be/R98M596bd0Q

My only critique of any significance whatsoever would be that with that many machines tight together, you miss out on some of the great side art.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:46 AM, 128Kgames said:

Not agreeing with his post entirely but yeah, I've picked up real cabs for <$500.  It's only been within the past 10 years or so that prices for in demand cabs have started to skyrocket.

CRT maintenance?  Really?  I have 10+ year old CRTs that work just fine.  When they need fixing that's one thing.  You think the 1Up cabs won't need maintenance?  Those things have failed right out of the box!

WiFi on the cabs is gimmicky at best, just ask the guys who tried to play the NBA Jam cabinets against other players...?

But yeah, for $700 1Up should have done their homework with DoT.  

The fan favorites are expensive now, no doubt, but fully working $500 cabs are still out there left and right. Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc, you can find a bunch there. I've even got a retail establishment down the road that has a few $500 cabs for sale, and that's with monitors that have been serviced.

It will be interesting to see what the longevity is on Arcade1UP's products relative to real cabinets, 20 to 30 years from now. My one A1UP failed on me right out of the box like you noted, heh. 

I'm glad people are happy with these units. Just for me personally, I'm of the mindset that if you're going to significantly raise the price of something like a simple standup cabinet, it needs to have significantly improved build quality. A slight GUI polish, software updates and online connectivity is not that for me, especially not when it's an extra $400+ over what I paid for a previous cabinet and riser with the same amount of buttons and games on it, heh.

I guess not all is bad with the pricing of these things. I was at a Super Wal-Mart the next town over two nights ago and they had both the Namco and Midway cabinets with 12 or so games each. The Midway (Mortal Kombat) cabinet was a little over $300, and the Namco (Pac-Man) was $300 or under. That seems far more reasonable to me given the quality issues these things can have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, negative1 said:

Atari legacy (no riser) $299: looks good, might get it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atari-Legacy-12-in-1-Arcade-1Up/103429811

don't care about risers or lit marquees.

might have to replace the trackball and spinner.

later

Yeah, the lit marquees look good from a distance but if I'm standing at the cabinet it's at chest-level and a bit bright. I heard the spinner on this one is decent but will like to hear your opinion of it.

I'm glad they are still doing these $299 cabs, although I notice they don't release them until the more expensive versions have been out for months! The Ms. Pac-Man 40th Anniversary is another good one at this price range, with all but 2 of the games on the Class of '81 (and of course no wi-fi).

Well, I pre-ordered the T2 cab! I had some real reservations about it, having only a single game. It was really down to this or the Ridge Racer cabinet. The Ridge Racer is such a better overall value with 5 games, all of which I never even seen at any arcades around here, so I've never played them. But, I already have the Outrun cab, so I can get my steering wheel fix with that for now.

The thing is I really wanted a light gun game, and Big Buck Hunter isn't exactly the kind of action I'm looking for. I mean, those are good games, but it's more like Advanced Duck Hunt. I would of course welcome BBH into my game room, but I don't have unlimited funds for this project right now. So, T2 is a gun game in the style that I really enjoy, and it fills a niche I do not yet have with light guns. I'm disappointed that there is only a single game, that really sucks to be honest. 

There's also a little bit of FOMO (Fear of missing out) going on, because I got into this stuff a little late, and for instance you can't get the Golden Tee or the Star Wars without paying exorbitant prices. A popular license such as T2 is likely to sell out even when it's more expensive than other cabs. Like Star Wars, it's the kind of game that will sell to fans, not just gamers. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Well, I pre-ordered the T2 cab! I had some real reservations about it, having only a single game. It was really down to this or the Ridge Racer cabinet. The Ridge Racer is such a better overall value with 5 games, all of which I never even seen at any arcades around here, so I've never played them. But, I already have the Outrun cab, so I can get my steering wheel fix with that for now.

The thing is I really wanted a light gun game, and Big Buck Hunter isn't exactly the kind of action I'm looking for. I mean, those are good games, but it's more like Advanced Duck Hunt. I would of course welcome BBH into my game room, but I don't have unlimited funds for this project right now. So, T2 is a gun game in the style that I really enjoy, and it fills a niche I do not yet have with light guns. I'm disappointed that there is only a single game, that really sucks to be honest. 

There's also a little bit of FOMO (Fear of missing out) going on, because I got into this stuff a little late, and for instance you can't get the Golden Tee or the Star Wars without paying exorbitant prices. A popular license such as T2 is likely to sell out even when it's more expensive than other cabs. Like Star Wars, it's the kind of game that will sell to fans, not just gamers. 

Agree with you on Light Guns, and not being interested in BBH.  I am just dying for a House of the Dead / Virtua Cop, Area 51, or Carnevil cab.  I've got the Sindens and a PC Hyperspin build with Light Gun games, but the guru hasn't yet fully updated the files and it sounds like a fairly major pain to get set up, ugh.  It's kind of the one really underrepresented game style for home play so far.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

I do believe that products should have a longer production life, be a little more versatile, and be better made overall. Not too familiar with what Arcade1Up is doing with their lifecycle. But I'm sure it could be run longer before being turned over. Stuff just happens at too fast a pace in consumer tech. Buy! Buy! Buy! And more Buy!

36 minutes ago, simbalion said:

Sadly, that's how modern products are made. They are ultimately disposable and made so that you have to buy new all the time as it seems companies can't stay afloat otherwise. This applies to everything today. Something to keep in mind...

huh?

i still have my gen 1 pac-man with 2 games on it (modded). i've never felt a need to get another machine.

i've gotten countercades and partycades, but no need for any of the full 3/4 ones. i just use emulators,

or the HDMI input on the pac-man machine.

then again, when i want something i just buy it. i'm not worried about things disappearing, or not being available.

later

On 12/8/2021 at 11:15 AM, negative1 said:

Atari legacy (no riser) $299: looks good, might get it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atari-Legacy-12-in-1-Arcade-1Up/103429811

Atari Legacy 12-in-1 Arcade 1Up

don't care about risers or lit marquees.

might have to replace the trackball and spinner.

later

Is this the same game list as the one on their website? I don’t want to buy it from Walmart, though…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Is this the same game list as the one on their website? I don’t want to buy it from Walmart, though…

I got to agree with you.  I'm interested in this cab, but this listing is weird for a few reasons.  The "description" doesn't say jack or squat, now the price is $315.00 (?), it just seems off.  Does it have the same games?  Maybe I'm just missing something on there complete, but all I'm seeing are size / weight specs.

Personally for me the Riser is worth $50 extra, and the backlit marquee is worth something... Just hoping that Best Buy or Target drop it to $400 or below soon for the full version with the goodies.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

I got to agree with you.  I'm interested in this cab, but this listing is weird for a few reasons.  The "description" doesn't say jack or squat, now the price is $315.00 (?), it just seems off.  Does it have the same games?  Maybe I'm just missing something on there complete, but all I'm seeing are size / weight specs.

Personally for me the Riser is worth $50 extra, and the backlit marquee is worth something... Just hoping that Best Buy or Target drop it to $400 or below soon for the full version with the goodies.

Its the same game list.

Only difference is no stool, lit marquee or riser.

They also release a stripped down version of the premiere versions at a later date. This is nothing different

from their bargain SKUS they have.

later

• Thanks 1