IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

On 11/25/2021 at 11:47 AM, negative1 said:

review and unboxing for TRON:

looks good.

later

Glad to hear someone in his comments brought up the Push/pull spinner, I thought for sure Arcade1Up woulda forgotten all about that...

Rene Gamez Jr
Isn't the spinner  push pull spinner. If you upgrade you lose option for disc's of tron

Game Wizard
Haven't thought about that. I wasn't ever really into that game but I did notice the push/pull feature but It didn't anything mentioned in the documentation.

5 minutes ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Glad to hear someone in his comments brought up the Push/pull spinner, I thought for sure Arcade1Up woulda forgotten all about that...

Rene Gamez Jr
Isn't the spinner  push pull spinner. If you upgrade you lose option for disc's of tron

Game Wizard
Haven't thought about that. I wasn't ever really into that game but I did notice the push/pull feature but It didn't anything mentioned in the documentation.

you can get push pull spinners for tron from GRS.

later

On 11/25/2021 at 2:47 PM, negative1 said:

review and unboxing for TRON:

looks good.

later

Congratulations Arcade1Up for f*cking up yet another cabinet!  I hear they didn't use the ROM with speech for Discs of Tron...

3 years later and they still can't build their cabinets right...

• Haha 3

On 11/26/2021 at 6:31 PM, 128Kgames said:

Congratulations Arcade1Up for f*cking up yet another cabinet!  I hear they didn't use the ROM with speech for Discs of Tron...

It was a licensing issue I think. Also, that was in the environmental cab version, and not the stand up version, since they were different.

later

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, negative1 said:

It was a licensing issue I think. Also, that was in the environmental cab version, and not the stand up version, since they were different.

later

License issue?  Nah, don't buy it.  Not unless it's documented that they sampled David Warner's voice.  I haven't found anything saying that's the case.  And Bill pointed out already but according to sources (KLOV for one) some uprights had speech also.  Plus, speech boards can be added to upright cabs via modification.  

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Does anybody have the Atari Legacy cabinet? I am awfully, awfully tempted on that if the spinner and trackball are both nice. No other controller mechanism really cuts it for the games in question.

I have the Tempest Legacy cab. The trackball seems light-weight and small when I compare it to the Atari 5200 Trak-Ball controller, which itself uses something similar to a cue ball. But, the operation is smooth so far and hasn't given me any gameplay troubles. 

The spinner works fine, although I'm not a fan of the location of it. I'm sure it can be changed out for a better quality spinner, even though this one isn't terrible and only functional for one of the games. This spinner has smooth action and I would prefer a clicking action for Tempest to get that precise motion that works so well on Tempest 2000, but I never played the real arcade game before so I can't say how it originally was.

The control panel is flat too, which I would prefer an angled panel instead. Overall I'm happy with it, the game selection is really good and it has quite a few games I never played before, so it was a great value for me. If you want to hear some real bitching about it, I'm sure others will chime in, or you could go about 20-30 pages back and read all the pissing and moaning about the button placement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

The control panel is flat too, which I would prefer an angled panel instead.

I wanted an angled control panel on my Asteroids cabinet, so at first I stacked up a bunch of washers around the rear bolts as a test to see if it would work. That was fine, so then I made a couple of wooden shims (shaped like narrow, small doorstops) that prop up the back of the control panel. Soon after, I found someone on ebay who 3D prints the same kind of thing in black plastic - they looked even better than my wooden ones and were only about $11 so I got those. I don't have the Tempest cab, but looking at the way it's built, I think you could angle up the control panel up to the point where it would conceal the Arcade1up logo, and since the side panels completely cover the sides of the control panel, whatever you use to prop it up will be hidden. Depending on how high of an angle you set it to, you might have to drill new holes for the bolts, but in my experience it can actually be angled a fair amount without having to drill anything. (Edit: I mean, without having to drill new holes in the cabinet. If you make wooden doorstop-style shims like I made, you do need to drill through those)

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

I just had an idea for a cabinet, sorry if it's not an original thought:

Technos Japan licence, so the games would be

-Double Dragon (probably the design of the cabinet, it's their most popular game)

-Double Dragon II

-Double Dragon III

-The Combatribes

-WWF Superstars

-WWF Wrestlefest

How about that? I think that is a blockbuster lineup, and in line with many of the other cabinets. It would only need to be 2-player with Joystick and 2 buttons each player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

There's no way they would get the WWF license imho, especially since some of the wrestlers in these games are not even under WWE contracts.

If that were the case, you could remove those games and replace with Renegade and Super Dodge Ball. Still the same license.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

I just had an idea for a cabinet, sorry if it's not an original thought:

Technos Japan licence, so the games would be

-Double Dragon (probably the design of the cabinet, it's their most popular game)

-Double Dragon II

-Double Dragon III

-The Combatribes

-WWF Superstars

-WWF Wrestlefest

How about that? I think that is a blockbuster lineup, and in line with many of the other cabinets. It would only need to be 2-player with Joystick and 2 buttons each player. 

Double Dragon comes pre-installed, II and III are available to buy, and there are a bunch of wrestling games including the new Retromania Wrestling (they make that cab too):

https://www.iircade.com/collections/arcade-machine/products/double-dragon-iircade-edition?variant=32096701087833

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 7:31 PM, 128Kgames said:

Honestly, for the price you could get the first-gen cabs at, even with the faults they weren't bad. I miss my MK2 Arcade1UP now that I think of it. I paid $200 for it, NIB, at Wal-Mart.

But now? Holy crap.. I'm looking at games I want, like Killer Instinct, and Arcade1UP expects $700?! And the actual cabinet quality hasn't gotten any better? Screw that! Freaking rip-off.

You're getting into real-cab pricing at that point. :lolblue:

Edited by Austin

6 hours ago, Austin said:

Honestly, for the price you could get the first-gen cabs at, even with the faults they weren't bad. I miss my MK2 Arcade1UP now that I think of it. I paid $200 for it, NIB, at Wal-Mart.

But now? Holy crap.. I'm looking at games I want, like Killer Instinct, and Arcade1UP expects $700?! And the actual cabinet quality hasn't gotten any better? Screw that! Freaking rip-off.

You're getting into real-cab pricing at that point. :lolblue:

Good luck getting a real cabinet for that price. And dealing with the maintenance of a CRT, and the huge weight and size difference.

here's one for $2500 : https://www.ebay.com/itm/224646026610?hash=item344df25572:g:JesAAOSwcgphZvHA

Oh, and real cabinets have WIFI connectivity for online play? oh really, when did that happen.

never.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Good luck getting a real cabinet for that price. And dealing with the maintenance of a CRT, and the huge weight and size difference.

here's one for $2500 : https://www.ebay.com/itm/224646026610?hash=item344df25572:g:JesAAOSwcgphZvHA

Oh, and real cabinets have WIFI connectivity for online play? oh really, when did that happen.

never.

later

Not agreeing with his post entirely but yeah, I've picked up real cabs for <$500.  It's only been within the past 10 years or so that prices for in demand cabs have started to skyrocket.

CRT maintenance?  Really?  I have 10+ year old CRTs that work just fine.  When they need fixing that's one thing.  You think the 1Up cabs won't need maintenance?  Those things have failed right out of the box!

WiFi on the cabs is gimmicky at best, just ask the guys who tried to play the NBA Jam cabinets against other players...?

But yeah, for $700 1Up should have done their homework with DoT.  

• Like 1

Vintage cabs are always going to need cosmetic work and CRT alignment and color adjustments. Especially cleaning and refurb. It's just how they are. And they look so out of place unless stuffed in the basement or garage. These are/were professional amusement devices meant for public use. The home needs something more dainty & delicate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

Not agreeing with his post entirely but yeah, I've picked up real cabs for <$500.  It's only been within the past 10 years or so that prices for in demand cabs have started to skyrocket.

so what, you want us to travel back in time to buy them for cheap.

any of the current games, like T2, ridge racer, simpsons, killer instinct all cost way way more than $700, and that might

just get you a PCB, not even a working cabinet.

so there is no price comparison.

CRT maintenance?  Really?  I have 10+ year old CRTs that work just fine.  When they need fixing that's one thing.  You think the 1Up cabs won't need maintenance?  Those things have failed right out of the box!

you can get a replacement monitor, just unplug 2 ribbon cables, and you're back in business. and failing monitors are extremely rare.

unless you are a CRT mechanic, and risk getting eletrocuted, nobody in their right mind is going to recap a CRT, or try fix or get a replacment

one anytime soon, and that's just one part.

my blasteroids Cabinet has been working fine since 1996 until now, and there's no way i'm going to mess around and try to fix it, without

getting a professional to take care of it.

WiFi on the cabs is gimmicky at best, just ask the guys who tried to play the NBA Jam cabinets against other players...?

gimmicky? ask the thousands of people using the online leaderboards for class of 81, or the weekly fighting community for street fighter big blue, or xmen.

people are buying the cabinets just for online play.

But yeah, for $700 1Up should have done their homework with DoT.  

they did do their homework. speech in the stand up environmental version of discs of trons was optional, and not on all the versions.

does it change or impact the gameplay because its missing. no.

later

23 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Seeing how people are contacting 1Up about the lack of speech, people would tend to disagree with you. 

Looks like they've got those iiRcades on clearance... it could be worth it to pick one up and tilt down that speaker panel like it should be and put a proper marquee on it. Could look nice!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Looks like they've got those iiRcades on clearance... it could be worth it to pick one up and tilt down that speaker panel like it should be and put a proper marquee on it. Could look nice!

The Tron cab is brand new, and sells for $700, unfortunately.