IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

28 pages in, and I'm still not seeing the attraction here. Do people actually think they're getting a real arcade machine for $300?

What's so hard to understand? It's an inexpensive, arcade-like experience that doesn't take up a lot of space and is easy to move about. Now you, like others, don't have to agree on most of those points, but surely you can understand why others might think that and find that desirable, no?

• Like 4

28 pages in, and I'm still not seeing the attraction here. Do people actually think they're getting a real arcade machine for $300?

lol no one thinks these are arcade machines.. where'd you get that idea. If you read all 28 pages maybe you missed the part where I considered it better more "deluxe" versions of the mini arcades. :) Still want the trackball / spinner ones though.. despite the flaws.

What's so hard to understand? It's an inexpensive, arcade-like experience...

Perhaps, now where do I put the tokens? :grin:

All kidding aside, it's nothing more than a cleverly disguised plug & play unit with a built-in display, all housed in a fancy fiber board shell, similar to those old Midway cabinets from a few years ago. I'm willing to bet, for those willing to open their wallets @ $300.00 to have an arcade experience, with just a few dollars more, they could have the real thing.

...but surely you can understand why others might think that and find that desirable, no?

In all honesty Bill, no... I don't. Not on this one.

All kidding aside, it's nothing more than a cleverly disguised plug & play unit with a built-in display, all housed in a fancy fiber board shell, similar to those old Midway cabinets from a few years ago. I'm willing to bet, for those willing to open their wallets @ $300.00 to have an arcade experience, with just a few dollars more, they could have the real thing.

I agree with your characterization of the product. I don't think that's necessarily bad; I find plug and plays a lot more accessible and fun than retro hardware in the year 2018.

I disagree with how cheap/easy it is to get "the real thing." The 1up stuff will be sold at GameStop and Bestbuy, and ship from Amazon for free/cheap, with the support/returns ecosystem of the big box stores. The "real thing" can't offer that at any price. Plus these are little, the kind of thing you can throw in a car trunk before assembly, possibly even afterwards. Can't do that with "the real thing."

Don't like it? Don't buy one, I probably won't. But I'm really excited to see these in person, just how I love seeing recreated Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis products on store shelves.

• Like 7

There's a difference. You're talking a modern machine with modern parts that's available everywhere versus a vintage machine you'll have to spend time tracking down and hoping you find what you want. Besides the potential maintenance issues/headaches with a vintage machine, there's also the bulk. They're obviously tough to transport and move, and take up a decent chunk of space. These Arcade1Up machines can be carried around by one person with ease and there's probably not much that can go wrong internally that wouldn't happen when you first get it.

And yeah, these are a bit like super-sized plug and plays, but so what? Those old Midway mini cabinets referenced were absolute crap and sold, justifiably, like crap. It was too early for something like that, still being stuck with crappy composite and a cheap CRT TV, as well as truly sub-standard controls. At least the Arcade1Up people, if not directly taking it as a lessons-learned type of experience, have clearly avoided many of the same missteps (thanks again, in part, to significant advances in available technology).

For the average person, this WILL be indistinguishable from most of the typical arcade experience. For others, like me, it will be close enough to be satisfying. I'm just fine with $300 for that type of experience (although I did get the Deluxe model for just a bit more).

28 pages in and I can't fathom why some people with no interest at all are still reading and posting in the thread.

I hear you on that, after a while its just the same complaints, over and over, like its going to change public opinion or something.

Honestly, I have no problem with people reading the post, and even posting, whether or not they like it. That's what the forum is for, after all, and unlike others AtariAge is one of the more helpful and easy going forums out there.

Now, when people come into a thread and continually put something down and seem to browbeat others into your opinion being the only right opinion, putting everyone else down or even name calling when they don't agree with their opinion, that's when I have a problem.

The people who are "experts", or more importantly think they are experts, that no one else knows what they know, no one else can do what they can do and if you can't there must be something wrong with you - those are the people that can kindly fuck off.

• Like 1

For the average person, this WILL be indistinguishable from most of the typical arcade experience. For others, like me, it will be close enough to be satisfying. I'm just fine with $300 for that type of experience (although I did get the Deluxe model for just a bit more).

I wonder how many of the buyers will have never been in an arcade, period. Sad thing, that.

lol no one thinks these are arcade machines.. where'd you get that idea. If you read all 28 pages maybe you missed the part where I considered it better more "deluxe" versions of the mini arcades. :) Still want the trackball / spinner ones though.. despite the flaws.

Yeah I'd still be down for one with good specialty controls myself, if the price was righter. There's real appeal to me from that angle.

lol no one thinks these are arcade machines.. where'd you get that idea.

*VINYL RECORD SCRATCH SOUND*

LOL this thread.

Allow me to playfully nay say once more: the real arcade experience involves cigarette smoke, tokens, a redemption counter for the crappy tickets games, and some guy boring his girlfriend while he goes for a high score. In my town the real arcade experience also included a cadre of Vietnamese kids who NEVER lost at SF2 except to each other. DAMN they were good. I gave up once they started using Balrog to beat me....

• Like 2

Allow me to playfully nay say once more: the real arcade experience involves cigarette smoke, tokens, a redemption counter for the crappy tickets games, and some guy boring his girlfriend while he goes for a high score. In my town the real arcade experience also included a cadre of Vietnamese kids who NEVER lost at SF2 except to each other. DAMN they were good. I gave up once they started using Balrog to beat me....

this description is G-Whizz Arcade at Boston Bowl in Dorchester, MA circa 1988 to a T.

*VINYL RECORD SCRATCH SOUND*

LOL this thread.

"LOL" missing the point. If you think the average consumer knows or cares about the relatively minor differences between the Arcade1Up offerings and an original machine, then you don't know the average consumer. We have the luxury of knowing everything that's off because this is our thing. If something is not your thing, you're far less likely to know the nuances or really care.

• Like 1

Street fighter happened when there were already modern consoles out that could rival the arcade.

To me the arcade experience occurred when they were the zenith of gaming, and magazines covered new developments within the arcade scene, while home video games were kind of secondary :P

• Like 1

Street fighter happened when there were already modern consoles out that could rival the arcade.

To me the arcade experience occurred when they were the zenith of gaming, and magazines covered new developments within the arcade scene, while home video games were kind of secondary :P

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.....Neo Geo? To me SF2 is literally right at the tipping point when home consoles got CLOSE to what an arcade cabinet could do, but before they completely dethroned them.

Your arcade experience is def before mine. One thing in common though, and I think it is the important part...it involves an actual Arcade, as in, the place where multiple arcade cabinets live. Preferably poorly lit and slightly disreputable! :grin:

"LOL" missing the point. If you think the average consumer knows or cares about the relatively minor differences between the Arcade1Up offerings and an original machine, then you don't know the average consumer. We have the luxury of knowing everything that's off because this is our thing. If something is not your thing, you're far less likely to know the nuances or really care.

which explains exactly what I described earlier. The target market for these is people who have disposable income, no impulse control, and who lack the knowledge to understand they are getting taken.

Your arcade experience is def before mine. One thing in common though, and I think it is the important part...it involves an actual Arcade, as in, the place where multiple arcade cabinets live. Preferably poorly lit and slightly disreputable! :grin:

Wait, your arcade had lights? ;)

I've played games in places you'd want to scrape the bottom of your shoes afterwards, or better yet, just throw them away...

"Arcades" were anywhere and everywhere, from the local mall in Hicksville to the Farmer's Market in Bethpage. Seedy, underground places our parents should have given the once over to before letting us set foot in there, but those were different times.

Any place it seems with at least one arcade game, whether it be a known machine like Space Invaders to a bootleg version of Naughty Boy in a woodgrain beat up cabinet, I've played them all. Pinball had met its match, and the war was lost. Any mom and pop place could cram a Pac-Man or Asteroids cab in the back and suck our pockets dry.

If I could ride my bike or get somebody's parents to drop us off, quarters got dropped.

Ski chalets, rathskellers, the bowling alley, even in Penn Station, man, those were the days. Vacations weren't about where we were going, it was "do they have an arcade"?

No, the 1Up nots going to recreate that feel, and honestly, I wouldn't necessarily want it to. But damn, its still going to look cool having a bunch of these up and running.

I envy those of you with room enough for full size cabs in your own home arcade. When I get there myself, I can always move the 1Ups to my study...

• Like 1

What's the brain block and bitchin about? These short home arcade cabs are just like these....

61WctCy%2BpZL._SL1441_.jpg

Not very good, but not very expensive. Some people will buy them. If ya don't wanna, don't. I won't, but there's nothing to get bent outa shape about. It's not like they're an insult to the intelligence like a certain box we know.

• Like 2

which explains exactly what I described earlier. The target market for these is people who have disposable income, no impulse control, and who lack the knowledge to understand they are getting taken.

Stamos man, you're bringing me down, dude.

When you make comments like that, whether you realize it or not (and I expect that you do) you're insulting the majority of us that want these.

And I like AtariAge, I really do, and don't want to get into a shit slinging match with you over your opinion, which you are entitled to.

So how about we drop it with "hey, you're an idiot for wanting one of these" talk, OK?

• Like 3

What's the brain block and bitchin about? These short home arcade cabs are just like these....

61WctCy%2BpZL._SL1441_.jpg

Not very good, but not very expensive. Some people will buy them. If ya don't wanna, don't. I won't, but there's nothing to get bent outa shape about. It's not like they're an insult to the intelligence like a certain box we know.

Yup, or like the little tabletop air hockey tables you can get around the holidays. They're fun for what they are.

I was going to say, they are also like the mini pinball machines from Hammacher Schlemmer, but I just visited their site and they're selling $3,500 "real deal" arcade machines.

https://www.hammacher.com/product/30th-anniversary-authentic-pac-man-arcade-game

https://www.hammacher.com/product/30th-anniversary-authentic-pac-man-arcade-cocktail-table

Stamos man, you're bringing me down, dude.

When you make comments like that, whether you realize it or not (and I expect that you do) you're insulting the majority of us that want these.

And I like AtariAge, I really do, and don't want to get into a shit slinging match with you over your opinion, which you are entitled to.

So how about we drop it with "hey, you're an idiot for wanting one of these" talk, OK?

You're entitled to buy whatever you like. It's your money. But you sound like a pretty discerning purchaser who likes quality high end products, and these don't appear to be that. So I don't understand why people who love genuine quality would promote something that will likely be a disappointment.

Having different perspectives helps people make informed decisions. Having a bunch of cheerleaders who want negative opinions banned makes this place feel more like one giant andertisement.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1