IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Are you in the market for one of these, -1? I think of you as "the guy who hates xbox one."

thats right, i'm against newer consoles like xbox one, and ps4 which require online access,

anyways, as i mentioned in my lengthy post above, pac-man is on my very short list of

1up cabinets that i would consider.

again, its hard to mess that up. i don't care how many games are on it, 1 or 100, if i don't

like the game, or the controls are 'off', it makes no difference whether that would influence

me to get it. if they get the 1 game that i like right, thats good enough

i've bought other non-videogame items for more than $300 (i collect music also,

so the price might be a factor at times, but in this case, it's a game

that has nostalgic value to me. i did get the $150 pac-man watch (NOT the

$15000 one)... so it depends on the item.

i never crushed super breakout, or space invaders, but i mastered pac-man,

and can still get to the killscreen, (in fact, did it a couple of days ago).

pac3p3mill.jpg

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

Some of those problems can be addressed by software. In mame you have spinner/trackball sensitvity settings to control how fast things move. Still as you pointed, who knows if the arcade1up software is good enough but it can always be fixed.

Not sure what you mean by dial. I assume it's quadrature/gray code and not a potentiometer. It's just not a good quality weighted spinner. The problems with the trackball might not be hardware.

When you say it's not hard to find a good spinner, do you mean something like a turbo twist or spintrak where you have to build a panel for it; or is there something else more ready to play.

Good spinners like the ones you mentioned, yes. I have a prebuilt one bought off ebay for $30 a few years ago. (It's a mouse hack, but works great).

Spinners are pretty much the easiest things to get wired up. Spinner, board, and usb converter/controller. [if you want a trackball, you can buy a larger converter].

The spinner cost varies, the USB converter starts at $10, and the larger converter about $30.

So yes, there is some outlay for professional quality, but if you buy used parts, or DIY, it's much cheaper

with just as good results.

later

Mullet man, I think you're great, but it's not nice to yuck other peoples' yum. It is permissible to say "this is not for me" and leave it at that.

Of course these toys are compromised. That's why they're toys. That's OK, toys are fun! I always wanted a Batmobile, too. That would be impractical. A toy one, however? That's fun!

They're expensive for what they are, but the bulk is what puts me off ... even so, they're still smaller, cheaper, and lighter than the real thing. Plus they're licensed, which counts for something, even if we can pir8 everything all day long.

The first company to give me an arcade-style-and-quality control panel for Defender/Stargate with the games built in and HDMI out will get up to $120 of my money. I will use my own screen, and be able to stow it away when not actively playing.

I don't have a problem if someone with sufficient disposable income looks at this and says "that looks really cool!" and decides to buy it. People can obviously spend their money on whatever they want.

My issue is with the people who are willfully ignoring the complaints and flaws with these things, and touting them as a "great value", when they are clearly not. Shoddy materials, ridiculously small size, poor controls, limited customization, and not being able to deliver on scheduled release dates is not an indicator of value. I think sometimes people confuse value and worth, but they are not the same thing. Worth is a measure of what someone is willing to pay for an item. (that applies to the people who are going to buy this regardless of how well it delivers) Value is a measure of how well the product delivers vs. it's market price. The value here is clearly lacking. The only part where they deliver is the look - the artwork, etc. and even that is apparently flawed because they appear to have used cheap vinyl printed stickers that the printed images wear off fairly easily and quickly, which is a huge bummer.

Similar to my take on the emuparadise thread, I question the people who make up excuses to justify something to themselves that aren't accurate - and then promote that to others as factual. If you want one for yourself, fine - have a blast. But glossing over glaring flaws and downplaying demonstrable issues to convince people something is "great" seems... sleazy? Maybe that's too harsh of a word. Misguided. Possibly selfish.

One of the things I really dislike in the current gaming sphere is misguided fanboyism, where demonstrable facts are bent beyond recognition, or wholly dismissed, to suit someone's agenda or "side" as if this stuff is a sporting contest.

As for the money side of things - I just don't find them worth it. IF I did, I could easily drop a grand and get 3 of these things and throw them in my mancave/gameroom. but unlike most "collectors" or hardcore enthusiasts, I don't just throw money at every shiny object because it gives me the 80's nostalgia feels. Value is important to me. These apparently don't deliver a good value.

That seems fair enough, and I share your feelings about "value," but there's going to be a floor on how cheap these can/should go. Leave aside whether you think they should try.

Manufacturing, packaging, shipping, licensing all add up. This has a screen (prob worth $60), control panel ($20), computer board ($30), speakers ($10), power supply ($5), decals ($5), cabinet and hardware ($75), retail packaging ($5), distribution ($5), licensing (probably 5 digits up front). Someone who went to all this trouble is entitled to a little profit if people think it's a worthwhile product.

You don't think so, that's fine. I don't think because I don't need a single-purpose not-quite-computer taking up floor space in my small house, that's my prerogative too. But the price is fair (almost good) considering what's on offer here. I've spent more on stupider or more boring things.

• Like 4

That seems fair enough, and I share your feelings about "value," but there's going to be a floor on how cheap these can/should go. Leave aside whether you think they should try.

Manufacturing, packaging, shipping, licensing all add up. This has a screen (prob worth $60), control panel ($20), computer board ($30), speakers ($10), power supply ($5), decals ($5), cabinet and hardware ($75), retail packaging ($5), distribution ($5), licensing (probably 5 digits up front). Someone who went to all this trouble is entitled to a little profit if people think it's a worthwhile product.

You don't think so, that's fine. I don't think because I don't need a single-purpose not-quite-computer taking up floor space in my small house, that's my prerogative too. But the price is fair (almost good) considering what's on offer here. I've spent more on stupider or more boring things.

If they had thrown the riser in as a no-cost option in the original box, or just made them a reasonable height in the first place - they would probably be getting a lot less grief.

Considering how many of these they're making and how many are being sold, there absolutely will be clearance pricing and a robust used market for these at some point. That's a given for products sold in these numbers, as well as for a product that many people will get bored of at some point and/or move on from (really like any video game product).

• Like 2

These will absolutely be Craiglist/tag sale staples in a few years. Likely the only way I'll get one.

Though they likely won't be in great shape by then, as mass-produced peg and screw MDF furniture...well it's not the most rigid or durable of manmade goods. Anybody who's ever built a Walmart bookshelf or a Target nightstand knows what I mean. I'd be VERY careful moving these things once built.

• Like 2

I'm not the least bit surprised that the purveyors of retro nostalgia commercial products have left the arcade stuff largely alone up to now, with few exceptions. It's got to be a challenging thing from a business standpoint to find the right balance between the competing factors of cost and authenticity.

Dozens of people who would never dream up the idea on their own have seen my MAME cabinet and raved about how awesome they think it is to have such a thing in the basement, so they start asking questions about it. The conversation always seems to abruptly stop once I explain the amount of time and money involved. It's as though, they really think it's cool, but not quite cool enough to justify a chunk of change of any size.

The people that do think it is worth spending some money for arcade stuff are serious enough about wanting it to have gone out and acquired real machines or built custom ones to their own specifications. This leaves not much wiggle room to find the right combination of functionality and price such that it is good enough to be convincing but low enough in cost to be in the comfort zone of the tire-kickers.

I think there's a psychological hurdle to deal with as well. We live in the age of entitlement, where everything is free. People can gorge themselves on retro films and console games and computer games and music and magazines with very little money or effort. Arcade gaming is a bit special in this regard; the need for a big box and controls and display and artwork means there is an ante involved before the experience can be had, and there's really no way around that.

I hope some good solid products start to come out to spread this hobby but I just can't fathom how it would be possible to come up with a mass market product with "exacting specifications" that can beat this $300 price point.

• Like 2

I have a question....for people purchasing these, how much of your 300$ are you allocating, in your mind, for the cabinet and screen? Not what you think 1up paid some factory to make them, how much of the value proposition is the cabinet to you, dollar wise?

Not looking to dump on your value propositions either, but in reading cynicaster's post about new folks wanting to get into arcades I kept thinking of these things:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1388-in-1-Pandora-Box-6s-Retro-Video-Games-Double-Stick-Arcade-Console-Light-US/162810069694?hash=item25e83c82be:g:P7IAAOSwp-5bmdmC

Cheap, play'em on your flat screen, decent controls. Easy way to get into arcade games. So I think it is an interesting thing....how much of the point of an arcade is having the cabinet itself, and what that is that worth to you? Seems to me it must be MOST of the 300$ for most people, but I am curious. Hell, I built my own mini cab because that made the arcade more "arcadey", so I do get it. It's not really an arcade without a cabinet.

I have a question....for people purchasing these, how much of your 300$ are you allocating, in your mind, for the cabinet and screen? Not what you think 1up paid some factory to make them, how much of the value proposition is the cabinet to you, dollar wise?

Not looking to dump on your value propositions either, but in reading cynicaster's post about new folks wanting to get into arcades I kept thinking of these things:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1388-in-1-Pandora-Box-6s-Retro-Video-Games-Double-Stick-Arcade-Console-Light-US/162810069694?hash=item25e83c82be:g:P7IAAOSwp-5bmdmC

Cheap, play'em on your flat screen, decent controls. Easy way to get into arcade games. So I think it is an interesting thing....how much of the point of an arcade is having the cabinet itself, and what that is that worth to you? Seems to me it must be MOST of the 300$ for most people, but I am curious. Hell, I built my own mini cab because that made the arcade more "arcadey", so I do get it. It's not really an arcade without a cabinet.

I'm not "wanting to get into arcades", I own three, two Neo Geo Gold cabs and a Star Trek: SOS "Captains Chair" environmental cab.

I just don't have room currently for them in my current house, not if I want to maintain our current family room aka "home theater room".

Between the leather home theater sectional with recliners and the 86" LG Super UHD and the rest of our home theater equipment and games (Xbox One, 360, Switch etc.) we don't have a lot of room.

So I'm not analyzing the cost or trying to break it down, and while I can understand the people who are I think they are overthinking these Arcade1Up cabs too much.

Its a cab, a minature one sure, but its an arcade game "replica" if you will, none the less. I think they look cool, and I bet they are going to be fun as hell.

Sure, there might be some issues and I think we've already seen some but for what I want them for I think they will hit their mark.

I've seen those Pandora Box all in ones on eBay for a while now and was contemplating getting one. But for me the 1Up cabs are going to give me more of an actual arcade feel, and until I move to a bigger home its as close as I'm gonna get without bringing in the big boys from the garage.

I've seen those Pandora Box all in ones on eBay for a while now and was contemplating getting one. But for me the 1Up cabs are going to give me more of an actual arcade feel, and until I move to a bigger home its as close as I'm gonna get without bringing in the big boys from the garage.

I've been tempted by the Pandora Box as well (I almost got one of the newer 3D ones for review recently), but they really are completely different things. As you say, the Arcade1Up is its own thing, just like emulation on a PC, or a plug and play device loaded with arcade games, or a roll-your-own solution (Pi, etc.). It's like most of us having dozens of versions of a game like Pac-Man or whatever - just one more is no big deal (and tempting) as long as it's different enough.

• Like 1

I'm not "wanting to get into arcades", I own three, two Neo Geo Gold cabs and a Star Trek: SOS "Captains Chair" environmental cab.

I just don't have room currently for them in my current house, not if I want to maintain our current family room aka "home theater room".

Between the leather home theater sectional with recliners and the 86" LG Super UHD and the rest of our home theater equipment and games (Xbox One, 360, Switch etc.) we don't have a lot of room.

So I'm not analyzing the cost or trying to break it down, and while I can understand the people who are I think they are overthinking these Arcade1Up cabs too much.

Its a cab, a minature one sure, but its an arcade game "replica" if you will, none the less. I think they look cool, and I bet they are going to be fun as hell.

Sure, there might be some issues and I think we've already seen some but for what I want them for I think they will hit their mark.

#firstworldproblems

'replica' is, I think, the exact right term for them.

Don't those replicades go for around $200 as it is anyway which seems a bit extreme. Lop off 2" and you're at the $99 and under MyArcade arcade cabinets, go up another few feet and $100-200 and you get a cabaret sized modern flimsy cabinet. I hope that thing from 1uparcade can take the usual kick punch and slap people do when they get pissed at the real things as I wouldn't be surprised if it snapped.

Don't those replicades go for around $200 as it is anyway which seems a bit extreme. Lop off 2" and you're at the $99 and under MyArcade arcade cabinets, go up another few feet and $100-200 and you get a cabaret sized modern flimsy cabinet. I hope that thing from 1uparcade can take the usual kick punch and slap people do when they get pissed at the real things as I wouldn't be surprised if it snapped.

the front bottom panel with the game's names is very flimsy. It's not the 1/2 fiberboard of the side panels. It is that really thin pressboard stuff that is like 1/8th inch cardboardthey use form the back panels on IKEA cabinets and dressers. Fragile and thin.

do people still do that? talk about a lack of self control.

it's not like these are going to be placed in arcades, or anywhere for money.

if people are beating up machines, besides normal or 'excited' playback, i would be surpised.

the size should tell you that its not really that strong or reinforced. although one guy said,

there may be some metal brackets or something in there.

later