IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

How? we're talking about the quality of the Monitor IN THE ARCADE1UP UNIT.

No, I had mentioned that of course Arcade1Up is using old stock of 4:3 17" monitors because no one is making them anymore in response to your 2005 monitor statement. You then tried to point to remainder inventory on New Egg to make some kind of point about new monitors that size or larger with that aspect ratio (there aren't). He made the apple and oranges comment in reference to how you ignored that and then went on a tear about the monitor technology and viewing angles, changing the subject (though I can see how you got sidetracked to something you didn't think was a sidetrack).

And I assume you've seen the viewing angles in person to make such statements, because the first person reports I've gotten (and in fact many of the videos we've seen), have had no issues with monitor quality. But I suppose that would take away from a good rant and the whole "scammers' and "con artists" tangent.

Watch the video. They tell you straight up those are better than the Arcade 1up.

I guess the question is.. "ok, and what?".. :P Maybe I'm just not understanding the logic, so applying to me. Which would, and should dissuade me from getting the arcade1up SI with the crappy monitor? Convince me!

This? (ignore the kids and my hands :lol:)

ZqeTvaa.jpg

This?

VVuR4py.jpg

This?

UOEfvNz.jpg

X-Arcade on a TV?

848fBlp.jpg

One of these?

q9mdkkr.jpg

I didn't try to take pics of the PC, or Super Gameboy, PSP, etc. because we could go on for a while. Remember the audience on this forum are collectors. I don't consider myself one, as there are a LOT more devoted people than me here. So that said, Which of my SI stuff is the correct argument against snagging the arcade1up version? Well that's obvious that it really doesn't matter.. to us at least. We're all old men who get wtf ever we want, bad quality or not :lol:

But that's my point. AA forum dorks.. err. hobby devotees like us fully know what's the deal with these things. The only argument to try and convince me to save my dough seems to be to say it's "nuts" to collect (here in a videogame collecting forum of all places) and not saving more space in my house. But hey. :P

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

No, I had mentioned that of course Arcade1Up is using old stock of 4:3 17" monitors because no one is making them anymore in response to your 2005 monitor statement. You then tried to point to remainder inventory on New Egg to make some kind of point about new monitors that size or larger with that aspect ratio (there aren't). He made the apple and oranges comment in reference to how you ignored that and then went on a tear about the monitor technology and viewing angles, changing the subject (though I can see how you got sidetracked to something you didn't think was a sidetrack).

And I assume you've seen the viewing angles in person to make such statements, because the first person reports I've gotten (and in fact many of the videos we've seen), have had no issues with monitor quality. But I suppose that would take away from a good rant and the whole "scammers' and "con artists" tangent.

The New Egg models I linked to are IPS panels. They are newer than the TN panels and employ a technology that is far superior to what the Arcade1up panel uses.

IPS panels have been widely available and affordable/cheap for close to 10 years now. Arcade1up's panels are really cheap crap. bargain basement chinese sweatshop knockoffs with technology that is nearly 2 decades old.

There was no sidetrack. We are talking about the TN panel in the arcade1up, and how it is extrememyl dated, poor performing technology. You were the one who made the claim that there is no supply of new 4:3 LCD panels, and the simple google search proved you wrong, and not only that, but that the new ones available on newegg are vastly superior IPS panels.

Watch the video. They tell you straight up those are better than the Arcade 1up.

Can't watch it .... having their giant microphones covering their faces bugs my simple reptile brain, can't watch. I know what they're going to say though. Weird, small, cheap, inauthentic. Duh, we know that already. That's why they're $300.

TN panels on a cheap toy are fine. They're not going to be used for hours on end, and the viewing angles aren't a big deal for low resolution games, especially under a shaded hood.

I honestly don't understand why you insist on keeping the spew going on this thread, you're obviously not going to buy one, and you're not going to persuade others from doing what they want to do.

• Like 4

But that's my point. AA forum dorks.. err. hobby devotees like us fully know what's the deal with these things. The only argument to try and convince me to save my dough seems to be to say it's "nuts" to collect (here in a videogame collecting forum of all place) and not saving more space in my house. But hey. :P

My argument is that people who straight up don't care about the quality of these and are going to buy one regardless are cheerleading for this company to do well - which lowers the quality bar for every subsequent product of this type going forward.

In essence - your personal addiction to owning everything that is *insert arcade game title here* is tangentially fucking it up for the rest of us who actually care about what we spend our money on.

It's like cheering for $8 a gallon gasoline, or $15 loaves of bread, because you can afford it. so who cares about everyone else? It makes no sense.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

There was no sidetrack. We are talking about the TN panel in the arcade1up, and how it is extrememyl dated, poor performing technology. You were the one who made the claim that there is no supply of new 4:3 LCD panels, and the simple google search proved you wrong, and not only that, but that the new ones available on newegg are vastly superior IPS panels.

Again, your statement is incorrect. There is no new supply of 17" 4:3 monitors, period. That's why Arcade1Up is using older panels. I can't make it any clearer.

Now, if you want to say that they should have gotten newly manufactured monitors and just blocked out the sides of a 16:9 display to "simulate" 4:3, that's a different argument. And if you tell me that you've seen these monitors with your own eyes and found then unsatisfactory, then I might listen to your opinion. Right now, it's just you ranting without direct experience that it really is a crime against humanity that they'd use such monitors. I get that it's older monitor technology (again, of course), but I've heard from people I trust who have seen these in person (and again, as indicated in the videos posted here), that the quality is just fine. I'll know for myself soon enough anyway. Hopefully you get the same opportunity.

I guess the question is.. "ok, and what?".. icon_razz.gif Maybe I'm just not understanding the logic, so applying to me. Which would, and should dissuade me from getting the arcade1up SI with the crappy monitor? Convince me!

This? (ignore the kids and my hands icon_lol.gif)

ZqeTvaa.jpg

This?

cFAHXwM.jpg

This?

UOEfvNz.jpg

X-Arcade on a TV?

848fBlp.jpg

One of these?

q9mdkkr.jpg

I didn't try to take pics of the PC, or Super Gameboy, PSP, etc. because we could go on for a while. Remember the audience on this forum are collectors. I don't consider myself one, as there are a LOT more devoted people than me here. So that said, Which of my SI stuff is the correct argument against snagging the arcade1up version? Well that's obvious to all here that it really doesn't matter.. to us at least. We're all old men who get wtf ever we want, bad quality or not icon_lol.gif

But that's my point. AA forum dorks.. err. hobby devotees like us fully know what's the deal with these things. The only argument to try and convince me to save my dough seems to be to say it's "nuts" to collect (here in a videogame collecting forum of all places) and not saving more space in my house. But hey. icon_razz.gif

Here's mine icon_smile.gif

LwAJMEP.jpg

• Like 2

Again, your statement is incorrect. There is no new supply of 17" 4:3 monitors, period. That's why Arcade1Up is using older panels. I can't make it any clearer.

The 19" Acer 4:3 IPS monitors in the Newegg link are new. New in Box. Never been used. Plenty in stock.

Look - I get that you find these aesthetically pleasing, so you want to buy them - but why do you insist on lying about things that can easily be disproven?

But that's my point. AA forum dorks.. err. hobby devotees like us fully know what's the deal with these things. The only argument to try and convince me to save my dough seems to be to say it's "nuts" to collect (here in a videogame collecting forum of all places) and not saving more space in my house. But hey. :P

As someone with a basement full of plastic, I feel this is very valid point. Well taken.

To me the real argument is HOW MUCH of your dough this is gonna cost. There, as always, we all value our shekels differently.

• Like 1

My argument is that people who straight up don't care about the quality of these and are going to buy one regardless are cheerleading for this company to do well - which lowers the quality bar for every subsequent product of this type going forward.

In essence - your personal addiction to owning everything that is *insert arcade game title here* is tangentially fucking it up for the rest of us who actually care about what we spend our money on.

It's like cheering for $8 a gallon gasoline, or $15 loaves of bread, because you can afford it. so who cares about everyone else? It makes no sense.

Of course people care about the quality of these things. What you don't seem to care about is that some people may have different reasons than you for wanting these and that their definition of what the minimum quality threshold is for various parts or functions may differ from yours. They're fine with paying $300 for these because it meets their needs. Your threshold for what's on offer here is apparently $50, so you're obviously not getting one. Sorry. You'll have to make do with the countless other options that are available. Just because any or all of these retro products appear to be in your wheelhouse, doesn't mean that they're necessarily targeted to whoever John Stamos Mullet really is, no matter how much you want them to be or perceive them to be.

• Like 1

Ever been to a convenience store, or a highway rest stop? Or a food desert?

Different people have different needs and priorities. If you're right about these being so awful, maybe they'll bellyflop in the marketplace and go away. Maybe after being discounted to $50.

If they do moderately well and there's a second wave of them, perhaps with different/better parts and other software lineups, it won't have anything to do with your well-worn arguments for or against.

• Like 1

Ever been to a convenience store, or a highway rest stop? Or a food desert?

Different people have different needs and priorities. If you're right about these being so awful, maybe they'll bellyflop in the marketplace and go away. Maybe after being discounted to $50.

If they do moderately well and there's a second wave of them, perhaps with different/better parts and other software lineups, it won't have anything to do with your well-worn arguments for or against.

History has proven on things like this that second waves tend to feature cheaper parts, and more corner cutting, not the opposite.

Just look at Atari. They went from the Heavy Sixer, to the light sixer, to the 4 switcher, to the Vader, and finally to the jr. They didn't increase in quality as they went on. Exactly the opposite. They cut as many corners as possible to make as much money as possible for the least cost.

The 19" Acer 4:3 IPS monitors in the Newegg link are new. New in Box. Never been used. Plenty in stock.

Look - I get that you find these aesthetically pleasing, so you want to buy them - but why do you insist on lying about things that can easily be disproven?

I'll try to explain one last time, because you're clearly not understanding. There is no manufacturer making new 17" (or larger) 4:3 LCD screens. What you're finding are remainder stock of old monitors. Arcade1Up likely bought up one of the few, if perhaps only, leftover mass inventory of 17" 4:3 naked panels from some supplier who still happened to have them in a warehouse. Was it 500,000? Was it 1 million? More? (likely) Who knows? They likely sourced the panels and then designed the product around that. I would suspect once those panels run out (assuming Arcade1Up continues to have success and they continue to release new models as planned), they'll switch designs and go with a 16:9 monitor of some type, since that's all that's going to be available. If they got at least several million of those parts, then it could be into 2020 until we see a design change.

And yes, I'm all about aesthetics with the Arcade1Up machines and I want these for no other reason despite me stating multiple other reasons many times within this very thread. It's so obviously aesthetics that I pre-ordered the ugliest machine of the bunch. Criminy.

• Like 1

Yeah this is obviously full blown launch retail price in the market, so what do you expect? Maybe in Venezuela they can kill the shop owners and force a 'fair price for everyone' but that never really ends up working well in the long run. :lol:

I fully expect you're going to start finding these things on the cheap over the years, if not on store clearance, then second hand at Goodwill. We all know that's how it works. So if the full retail price offends, just hang back for a while! :) Heck in recent memory that's exactly how I bought multiple original Xbox's for about 20-30 bucks each when no one gave a shit about them. They worked great as media players for a long time. then hi-def came around :P

#TOOCUTE

lol I think my wife would kill me if she knew I posted pics without blurring them. :P Edited by NE146

History has proven on things like this that second waves tend to feature cheaper parts, and more corner cutting, not the opposite.

Just look at Atari. They went from the Heavy Sixer, to the light sixer, to the 4 switcher, to the Vader, and finally to the jr. They didn't increase in quality as they went on. Exactly the opposite. They cut as many corners as possible to make as much money as possible for the least cost.

The Atari 2600 also dropped in price over time because of that, so the consumer did win out by paying less.

Whether you agree that the value is there or not, $299.99 for these machines represents a breakthrough price for something like this. As was stated multiple times earlier in this thread, not even the far inferior Midway home cabinets came out at the same equivalent price point.

The New Egg models I linked to are IPS panels. They are newer than the TN panels and employ a technology that is far superior to what the Arcade1up panel uses.

IPS panels have been widely available and affordable/cheap for close to 10 years now. Arcade1up's panels are really cheap crap. bargain basement chinese sweatshop knockoffs with technology that is nearly 2 decades old.

My understanding is that TN displays have lower latency than IPS displays. IPS displays do look better and have better viewing angles. IPS technology is improving but those with TN type latency would be more expensive.

I agree with the guys in the video that the Asteroids background is not black enough but they also advise that if you're not playing on a vector monitor don't bother playing Asteroids. They also say that the arcade1up machines have poor latency. I'm not sure what that is based on. Obviously it's not going to look like an Arcade machine with a crt but the important thing is how well it plays and latency would be an issue.

So when can we preorder the $300 MulletCab from major retailers? Sounds awesome with IPS, high quality controls, thicker wood, stereo sound and play every arcade game known to man I hope real panel graphics are used, as that is part of the charm.

Can't wait!

Full size cabinets and free shipping, please!

• Like 2

So when can we preorder the $300 MulletCab from major retailers? Sounds awesome with IPS, high quality controls, thicker wood, stereo sound and play every arcade game known to man I hope real panel graphics are used, as that is part of the charm.

Can't wait!

I always love the "If you're so great at it why don't you do it better!" comeback when someone's toy of choice is made fun of.

I'm not great at it. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm not a con artist.

Spend your preorder money on snipe hunts and vaporware to your heart's content. Just don't blame me when a stiff wind comes along and knocks your "value" cab over and it shatters into a thousand pieces of fall-a-particle board. I'll be over here sitting on my couch playing the same games from a 10 year old laptop I picked up for $30 and my Happ stick I built for $50, with more accurate emulation on my 60" 4k.

I always love the "If you're so great at it why don't you do it better!" comeback when someone's toy of choice is made fun of.

I'm not great at it. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm not a con artist.

Spend your preorder money on snipe hunts and vaporware to your heart's content. Just don't blame me when a stiff wind comes along and knocks your "value" cab over and it shatters into a thousand pieces of fall-a-particle board. I'll be over here sitting on my couch playing the same games from a 10 year old laptop I picked up for $30 and my Happ stick I built for $50, with more accurate emulation on my 60" 4k.

I"d be happy for a mere business plan from you. I may even settle for back-of-napkin estimates, if you can ballpark design, manufacturing, licensing, and retail profit. You scoffed at every single choice Arcade1up made, then proceeded to mock people for liking them

So maybe instead of the constant harping, it's time to "put up or shut up"?

I would also note that others have expressed concern, dismay, or voiced problems a d got no resistance in this thread.

I"d be happy for a mere business plan from you. I may even settle for back-of-napkin estimates, if you can ballpark design, manufacturing, licensing, and retail profit. You scoffed at every single choice Arcade1up made, then proceeded to mock people for liking them

So maybe instead of the constant harping, it's time to "put up or shut up"?

I would also note that others have expressed concern, dismay, or voiced problems a d got no resistance in this thread.

pretty sure that way back on like page 2 or 3 I posted an estimate for what it would cost to build a full size cab for oneself that had better components than the arcade1up across the board.

I couldn't give two shits about packaging and marketing costs, because I'm not trying to get into the retail business. if your soft costs detract from the quality of the product to the point where you decide to go with decades old tech to make ends meet, I'm not buying it.

I don't need to be a full scale retail game manufacturer to know when a game product is shitty, just like I don't need to be a cattle rancher to know when a cut of steak is too fatty and past it's sell by date. The "if you can do better prove it!" argument is a weakass straw man, dude.

• Like 1

Noted goalpost-shifter continues to shift goalposts. From "DIY is better" to "Arcade1Up is overpriced crap and people should demand better" to "Muh 4K TV" back to "DIY is better"

We're past DIY. I think everyone in this thread acknowledged DIY, and some have said they weren't interested in building their own.

People are flocking to this in droves because they have no interest, desire, or knowledge to DIY it. I'm very interested in someone coming up with a comparable, but Mullet-approved, retail cabinet. And it must be less than $300, since that's retail. I don't know what markup these days are, but at one time it was about 30-33%. I'm sure people would accept rough estimates and be forgiving when it comes to foreign manufacturing costs.

I'm tired of the shifting goalposts. Please tell us how you would design a retail cabinet. If you can't, give us a break from your harping that it should be a $50 cab (or whatever price) instead of $300. It also must be 100% legal, right down to artwork and emulators.

Oh, and don't forget to include designing a retail box and high-quality product protection (ie, foam).

• Like 4