IGNORED

Are the dual shocks the greatest gamepads ever?

Swami

I was going to test out an original xbox smartjoy frag on my PS2 and was looking for an adapter, but what I found was that mostly you could find a variety of PSX dual shock 1/2 controller adapters for nearly every other console in the world and only a minute fraction for other combinations. Is the dual shock 1/2 the best gamepad in history, or maybe the dual shock series? Any other favorite gamepads you'd like to use on your other consoles as well?

Some would say that. My personal preference is for the Xbox 360/One design/layout, but it's hard to argue with the Sony DS series of controllers.

I suspect there are lots of adapters for PS1/2 controllers simply because between the two platforms, they sold over 250 million consoles, and use the same connector. It's hard to argue with numbers like that.

I like the Xbone controller because it works on so many PC games.

Sony controllers are okay too.

I'm minorly bothered that Nintendo's layout is close to, but reverse of, these controls.

The BEST controller of all is a touch screen, because the buttons can be anything you need them to be: a slider, an analog stick, a keyboard ...

I don't know about "greatest ever", but I like the Dual Shock 4's, they are solid and comfortable

The BEST controller of all is a touch screen, because the buttons can be anything you need them to be: a slider, an analog stick, a keyboard ...

ehh I have to disagree there. When playing classic games you are often relying on touch to know when you are pushing the right button or moving the joystick in the right direction. When emulating joysticks/buttons on a touch screen, I find my fingers often slip off the controls and screw up my game because I can't feel them. I'm watching the action, not my fingers.

• Like 1

The best Sony ones were the original non-dualshocks. The added two joysticks just felt like an afterthought, and because of it shifted the position of your hand slightly which made you need four fingers on the top instead of just your two index fingers which used to be able to easily hit all four triggers without problems.

I feel like they took a HUGE step back with the dual shock 3, and while the layout is nicer on the dualshock 4, the quality control has hit new lows (though to be fair, so has Nintendo and Microsoft's controllers this gen...).

My favorite pads depend on what era we're talking about. For 8-bit, it doesn't get better than TG-16 (yes, I see the irony in calling it 8bit, but let it be...), for 16 bit the best is easily the snes pad, for 32/64 bit it's easily the Saturn pad, and for anything later I prefer an Xbox One S controller. The Elite pads are made like shit.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 2

ehh I have to disagree there. When playing classic games you are often relying on touch to know when you are pushing the right button or moving the joystick in the right direction. When emulating joysticks/buttons on a touch screen ...

1. There's more to games than just the "classics"

2. I'm just trying to stir shit up, don't take the bait ;-)

• Like 1

The best Sony ones were the original non-dualshocks. The added two joysticks just felt like an afterthought, and because of it shifted the position of your hand slightly which made you need four fingers on the top instead of just your two index fingers which used to be able to easily hit all four triggers without problems.

I feel like they took a HUGE step back with the dual shock 3, and while the layout is nicer on the dualshock 4, the quality control has hit new lows (though to be fair, so has Nintendo and Microsoft's controllers this gen...).

My favorite pads depend on what era we're talking about. For 8-bit, it doesn't get better than TG-16 (yes, I see the irony in calling it 8bit, but let it be...), for 16 bit the best is easily the snes pad, for 32/64 bit it's easily the Saturn pad, and for anything later I prefer an Xbox One S controller. The Elite pads are made like shit.

What do you think of the N64 controller, with the third middle handle for the stick. Some people like this better. The left side of the controller can get in the way a bit, though.

What do you think of the N64 controller, with the third middle handle for the stick. Some people like this better. The left side of the controller can get in the way a bit, though.

As a kid, I loved the N64 joystick. As an adult, the left side cuts into my hand and I can't really stand the thing anymore. I don't think joysticks were really that necessary that gen, so the "joy" of using the joystick seems unnecessary now in retrospect.

• Like 1

1. There's more to games than just the "classics"

2. I'm just trying to stir shit up, don't take the bait ;-)

This actually works pretty good with the rhythm games, like your avatar and several others, with swipes versus groping for buttons. Even feels a little more rhythmic. Not so great for the non-hopping games, though. So, speaking of classics, maybe frogger is good as well, though never tried. Pac-man might work with swipes as well, since he doesn't stop except for walls, but never tried it, either.

As a kid, I loved the N64 joystick. As an adult, the left side cuts into my hand and I can't really stand the thing anymore. I don't think joysticks were really that necessary that gen, so the "joy" of using the joystick seems unnecessary now in retrospect.

Yeah. My guess is that big or small hands may have a lot to do with the love it or hate it.

Having used the controllers across the various major consoles and handhelds, I'd say the Sony Dual Shock is indeed very good.

However, I firmly stand by the XBOX 360 controller as the best game pad design thus far.

So I guess it's the difference between great and greater.

• Like 1

I like the Xbone controller because it works on so many PC games.

Sony controllers are okay too.

I'm minorly bothered that Nintendo's layout is close to, but reverse of, these controls.

I've never tried a PS2 or PS3 controller on my PC, since I have the XB360/one pads, already, and its lesser cousin, the Logitech PC pads. I'm not sure if you'd run into difficulties or not using Playstation 2/3/4 gamepads on a PC.

This actually works pretty good with the rhythm games, like your avatar and several others, with swipes versus groping for buttons. Even feels a little more rhythmic. Not so great for the non-hopping games, though. So, speaking of classics, maybe frogger is good as well, though never tried. Pac-man might work with swipes as well, since he doesn't stop except for walls, but never tried it, either.

My rhythm game of choice at the moment is Pianista, which wouldn't work nearly as well on anything else.

Frogger = no fun with touchscreen.

Pac-Man = playable, but different (and not in a great way)

Pac-Man 256 = Great with any controller!

RPGs and strategy games are sweet with touch input, to the point where the idea of playing something like Populous or Sim City with a controller sounds like a wretched idea.

I'll stay out of the controller thread other than to add that it's hard to go back from wireless controllers.

Any game designed for a touch screen works pretty well with a touch screen. Any game not designed for it is abysmal..

• Like 1

In terms of ergonomics my all time favorite controller is the Wii Classic Controller, though for modern first-person gaming where you're using two analog sticks and the controller's shoulder buttons for almost everything the Xbox One controller is the most comfortable that I've used.

The GameCube controller is right up there in the ergonomics department as well, and I especially like size of the grips and the octagonal gate on the GameCube controller's analog stick. The D-pad is pretty tiny, but for analog control I think the GameCube controller is great. For a vintage controller from the 90's my favorite has got to be Sega's 6-button Genesis controller. The D-pad is outstanding, the size of the controller feels perfect in my hands, and the buttons are so snappy and responsive.

So I think the "best" controller is a pretty subjective thing. It really depends on the size of your hands, what personally feels comfortable to you, and whether you plan to mainly use analog or digital control. If I had to choose just one controller to use for everything forever though it would be the Wii Classic Controller. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

I hated the dead zone on the PS2 Dualshock controllers, Sony improved it on the PS3 and again on the PS4.

I still rate the Xbox 360 controller,higher than that of Sony's design.

But it comes down to personal choices, i have large hands, so the original Xbox controller,let alone Jaguar pad were fine with me.

Gamecube pads and the Dreamcast controller felt uncomfortable for long periods of play and i could never really get on with the N64 Trident controller either.

Favorite digital only controller would be the Saturn's original controller. Not the bloated controller with the concave D-pad/sharp angles that launched in the states, but the original 1994 japan controller that was then rolled out later to western markets.

Modern analog controllers Xbox One, DS4, Wii U Pro etc.. all close enough comfort wise.

• Like 1

Depending on your hand size, the Xbox360 or Xbox One is probably the best compromise, however I find that the Xbox 360's "hand grip" position and weight makes it difficult to use for a long period of time.

The PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 controller is roughly the same size with every version. I believe the PS4 version actually has the 360's grip style, while as the Xbox One has kinda gone past the point of usefulness.

Basically the PS controllers favor "twinstick" gameplay, but the analog joysticks are in a position that make your thumbs hurt after a while. The D-pad/buttons are the same as the SNES (it literately evolved from the SNES pad)

The Xbox 360 controller favors games that use analog movement, it's d-pad is basically useless, and is only useful for menu navigation. The Xbox One's D-pad might be even worse.

What I find is that the shoulder button positions on the 360 controller dig into my fingers, which is a problem shared with the SNES controllers (where the bottom of the controller digs into the fingers.

For the most part, the wired PS2 controller and the wired Xbox 360 controller are about equal. Heavier controllers make your arms tired faster.

I liked that controller too -- at least for retro-style digital stuff.

There are cheap USB replicas of it. Does anyone know if they're any good?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/USB-6-Feet-Wired-Classic-Controller_60480565215.html

Never mind the colors, the Japanese Saturn was white with rainbow buttons, not black on black like the USA version.

I liked that controller too -- at least for retro-style digital stuff.

There are cheap USB replicas of it. Does anyone know if they're any good?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/USB-6-Feet-Wired-Classic-Controller_60480565215.html

Never mind the colors, the Japanese Saturn was white with rainbow buttons, not black on black like the USA version.

I've got one of those usb ones. Button rubber is too stiff, and something's weird about the throw of them. I used it once, and had to press too hard, wound up with enough of a cramp (d-pad side) that I remember it years later. The casing feels very close, if not exactly right, though.

The saturn version, by comparison, encouraged a very light touch.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1