IGNORED

Are the dual shocks the greatest gamepads ever?

Swami

Oh snap

I just came back to say I was taking one for the team, I just ordered one from AliExpress for $4.20 shipped. It looked like they had USA-style black on black controllers too for the same price.

I'll give it a try in RetroPie or maybe even a Saturn emulator ...when my package comes in about a month. Thanks for the advance warning. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, ah well!

• Like 1

For a digital controller sure, but considering they're like SNES controller 2.0 I view them kind of all the same as a development curve of SNES, PS1 Controller, PS1/2 Dual Shock.

The design is rounded and very comfortable. Button spacing is excellent, and the sets of them up top feel natural to hit without confusion. Finally the smartly set evenly spaced analog sticks with that good grip on them are made not to collect moisture and lose tension on the thumb so with them side by side and close it feels more easy to get a precise aim/direction on something than that cockeyed screwy way MS went with.

That was actually the OG controller launched in Japan.

We got this turd below instead because I guess Sega figured all westerners had Wreck It Ralph like meat paws.

91ccJN4MwGL._SX522_.jpg

Yeah, like he said, it was the second gen controller here in the states :P.

That first gen Saturn pad, much like the N64 controller, had similar issues for me. Both looked freakin cool as all hell when I was a kid.

Now, I can't stand using either.

Oh snap

I just came back to say I was taking one for the team, I just ordered one from AliExpress for $4.20 shipped. It looked like they had USA-style black on black controllers too for the same price.

I'll give it a try in RetroPie or maybe even a Saturn emulator ...when my package comes in about a month. Thanks for the advance warning. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, ah well!

ah shame I didnt see this earlier, I have the retro bit version and its fairly decent, light but snappy .. think I paid 8 bucks for it and some change, I love saturn style gamepads for emulation pre analog stick era (or similar setups like the MS sidewinder also had the 3 on 3 with 2 shoulder triggers as well, but I wore mine out)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

In terms of ergonomics my all time favorite controller is the Wii Classic Controller, though for modern first-person gaming where you're using two analog sticks and the controller's shoulder buttons for almost everything the Xbox One controller is the most comfortable that I've used.

The GameCube controller is right up there in the ergonomics department as well, and I especially like size of the grips and the octagonal gate on the GameCube controller's analog stick. The D-pad is pretty tiny, but for analog control I think the GameCube controller is great. For a vintage controller from the 90's my favorite has got to be Sega's 6-button Genesis controller. The D-pad is outstanding, the size of the controller feels perfect in my hands, and the buttons are so snappy and responsive.

So I think the "best" controller is a pretty subjective thing. It really depends on the size of your hands, what personally feels comfortable to you, and whether you plan to mainly use analog or digital control. If I had to choose just one controller to use for everything forever though it would be the Wii Classic Controller. :)

I think Nintendo is the most aesthetic in terms of hardware since the 8-bit era. They had four different unique-ish standard controllers for the Wii (if you include the sideways wiimote) plus the whole Mario character series of wiimotes, which was a collector's dream, and the only one who kept making interesting looking consoles. The Switch TV console is a bit brickish like all the others now, but it has the unique pull out module.

I've never like Playstation controllers, but they peaked with the Dual Shock PSX/PS2 model.

They don't feel right to me for 3D and are basically unuseable for 2D. I like the 360 pads for 3D probably more than anything.

My favorite 2D controller is the turbo switch PC Engine pad, following by the Japanese Saturn pad.

I'm cool with the Dualshock series, but I prefer the XB360/XB1 layout for FPS on console. Feels weird with Dualshock.

OTHERWISE! One of my favorite controllers is actually the original PS1 controllers with no analog sticks. (Yeah I'm one of those weirdos. Weirdo in a good sense!)

IQf9HmW.jpg

I've picked up quite a few over time cause they're relatively cheap, and they feel like improved Super Nintendo controllers (slightly more ergonomic and not as flat).

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 4

Is the dual shock 1/2 the best gamepad in history, or maybe the dual shock series?

It's an excellent controller no doubt, but it's not perfect for all situations. I've always found the analogs much too loose and twitchy compared to something like on an Xbox, and fast 2D games with lots of inputs (say, a Mega Man X game) lead to hands getting cramped due to the shape of the controller.

I don't really think there is a perfect controller out there. The best ones for 2D usually falter at 3D, and vice-versa.

OTHERWISE! One of my favorite controllers is actually the original PS1 controllers with no analog sticks. (Yeah I'm one of those weirdos. Weirdo in a good sense!)

This is generally my preferred PS1 controller when I am doing non-analog games. It's thinner and weighs less than a Dual Shock.

PS2 sold tons of units, and the good arcade sticks sold the most on Playstation. That is generally the reason why PS1/2 -> other stuff adapters are the most common.

In my oppinion there are many controllers that are better than the DS2. For the analogues the 360 controller is better, but that d-pad... The xbox one is a good all-roundewr that's basically on par wiith DS2. I love some of the hori controllers like the Hori Pad Pro for xbox one. Really good, and I prefer it over any stock controller.

The thing with the shapes that makes them easy is by doing a little association with it. Triangle is pointing up so that's on top, the circle is on the outside with the equally circular rounded edge, and the inside the square is closest to the nearly square(3 sides anyway) d-pad buttons, and the X is kind of like to two angled handles off the bottom side of the controller. I hated, still hate that MS decided to take what Nintendo did and reversed the lettering as it plays havoc with me using their PC version of the 360 controller.

• Like 1

The dual shocks (1/2/3) as actual controllers are barely tolerable. Cramped layout, loose analog sticks with large dead zones, bad d-pad, poor button feel, grips that are too short, etc. Even more annoying is the fanboyism that insists they're the best.

The controller port standard, however, is great for adapters and such, so if you have an arcade stick or something you really like, if it has a Playstation connector, you can find an adapter for just about any system.

The best actual controller is probably the Xbone controller, with the 360 a close second.

Edited by XEGS
  • Like 1

My faves were the Genesis 3-button, and Saturn 6-button. The rounded D-pad does less damage to my thumb and is easier to roll around for moves in MK. (Finish Him!) 360 gets 3rd, but D-pad is just not right, due to sticking up from the controller as it does.

I hated the square tetris piece on NES, and wasn't fond of the recessed tetris piece used by Sony.

YMMV :)

The only thing I don't like about really any of the Dual Shocks is the d-pad, which is way too heavy and also not great for doing things like rolling moves in fighting games just due to its design. It's a very slow controller if you want to use the d-pad. For 3D games I like the Dual Shock a lot, though.

My favorite d-pad ever is ironically on the Saturn 3D controller. I just like disc-based d-pads to begin with, and it's got the best I've used. Very snappy, light and quick. It's also raised a bit, unlike the Genesis or regular Saturn d-pads that were actually recessed. So, for 2D games, I like the Sega 3D controller. For 3D games, I like the Dual Shock.

I don't know about "best ever", but the DualShock 4 is the best PC gamepad that I've used. Probably because it's not a PC gamepad. All the dedicated PC gamepads that I've used such as Logitech have been cheap junk. I will never buy another Logitech.

I don't know about "best ever", but the DualShock 4 is the best PC gamepad that I've used. Probably because it's not a PC gamepad. All the dedicated PC gamepads that I've used such as Logitech have been cheap junk. I will never buy another Logitech.

its weird cause I have a logitech wireless xbox controller and its made like a tank, great to hold, and controls like a boss ... but ya I have had a number of their pc pads over the years and they range from "this could be decent" then something breaks like a support for a shoulder button, to utter garbage. Clearly whoever made that xbox controller is not talking to the pc guys

You know what a solid USB game pad is for the computer? The old but still sold Gravis Gamepad Pro. Basically kind of a knockoff of the pre-dual shock style molding, no analog, but also no lame split button d-pad either and it came with a screw in joystick for doing old arcade style games in the early 90s. I recently discovered one of them locally and I've been thoroughly enjoying using it on my computer for old ROMs and old DOS games that don't need a digital stick. It's very responsive, comfortable, good weight to it, and haven't hit any games whining about it either (like you can have with some older games seeing a 360 style controller due to the analog on there throwing them off.)

Depending on your hand size, the Xbox360 or Xbox One is probably the best compromise, however I find that the Xbox 360's "hand grip" position and weight makes it difficult to use for a long period of time.

The PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 controller is roughly the same size with every version. I believe the PS4 version actually has the 360's grip style, while as the Xbox One has kinda gone past the point of usefulness.

Basically the PS controllers favor "twinstick" gameplay, but the analog joysticks are in a position that make your thumbs hurt after a while. The D-pad/buttons are the same as the SNES (it literately evolved from the SNES pad)

The Xbox 360 controller favors games that use analog movement, it's d-pad is basically useless, and is only useful for menu navigation. The Xbox One's D-pad might be even worse.

What I find is that the shoulder button positions on the 360 controller dig into my fingers, which is a problem shared with the SNES controllers (where the bottom of the controller digs into the fingers.

For the most part, the wired PS2 controller and the wired Xbox 360 controller are about equal. Heavier controllers make your arms tired faster.

I use the XB 360 and XB Classic S controller's D-pad all the time. I've had no issues at all. Nice and responsive and great even for games requiring high-speed cornering line Pac-Man for example.

I'm cool with the Dualshock series, but I prefer the XB360/XB1 layout for FPS on console. Feels weird with Dualshock.

IQf9HmW.jpg

I've picked up quite a few over time cause they're relatively cheap, and they feel like improved Super Nintendo controllers (slightly more ergonomic and not as flat).

The gap in the D-pad kills me when playing twitch games (same for the PSP). Unless I can position my thumb just right, I end up hopping from button to button (which is too slow for some games).

For me, the plus-shaped D-pads have the advantage.