IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

@jedimatt42 I reflashed taking my name out of the equation and I can access the PI thru tipi:9600, but when I ssh into the Pi it is asking for a password for user tipi? Just found that the password was tipi too. Sorry

deamon.log now states:

"
tipi@tipi:~ $ sudo tail -F /var/log/daemon.log
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[787]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache (access for web browsers).
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[787]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache (restricted).
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[787]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent (ssh-agent emulation).
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[787]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache.
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[787]: Reached target Sockets.
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[787]: Reached target Basic System.
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID 1000.
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[787]: Reached target Main User Target.
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[787]: Startup finished in 1.672s.
Mar 16 21:52:01 tipi systemd[1]: Started Session 1 of user tipi."

Edited by RickyDean

@jedimatt42 Used the next command
tipi@tipi:~ $ sudo systemctl status 'tipi*'
● tipisuper.service - TIPI Super User Service
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tipisuper.service; enabled; vendor pre>
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2023-06-23 17:53:37 PDT; 8 months 23 da>
   Main PID: 348 (tipisuper.sh)
      Tasks: 2 (limit: 415)
        CPU: 1.545s
     CGroup: /system.slice/tipisuper.service
             ├─348 /bin/bash /home/tipi/tipi/services/tipisuper.sh
             └─364 python ./TipiSuper.py

Jun 23 17:53:37 tipi systemd[1]: Started TIPI Super User Service.

● tipiwatchdog.service - TI-99/4A DSR RESET Service
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tipiwatchdog.service; enabled; vendor >
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2023-06-23 17:53:37 PDT; 8 months 23 da>
   Main PID: 351 (tipiwatchdog.sh)
      Tasks: 2 (limit: 415)
        CPU: 674ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/tipiwatchdog.service
             ├─351 /bin/bash /home/tipi/tipi/services/tipiwatchdog.sh
             └─368 python ./TipiWatchDogService.py

Jun 23 17:53:37 tipi systemd[1]: Started TI-99/4A DSR RESET Service.
lines 1-23

Good point, I was thinking that there would be extra pins on the PI, that could substitute. But I suppose that's less so on the TIPI's side.:twisted:

I figure Jedimatt42, would know.:cool: Guess I didn't fully absorb the meaning from his last post. Sounds like you'll need a new CPLD.:(

Sorry.:woozy:

• Like 1

@jedimatt42 I executed this command and got this result. It just hung at the ./tipi.sh script command.

sudo systemctl stop tipi.service
cd /home/tipi/tipi/services
./tipi.sh

./tipi.sh

I just ran the command 

sudo /home/tipi/tipi/setup/post-upgrade.sh

and it did some upgrade, but no joy. Does the TIPICFG files have to be mounted into DSK1? Just tried it, no worky. I'll assume that the CLPD is dead. Thanks.

Edited by RickyDean
added content

16 hours ago, RickyDean said:

I'm afraid to ask but need to. I purchased a sidecar tipi last year off ebay, then I purchased the sidecar Sams from arcadeshopper a couple of months later and a pi zero w after that. I think I hooked up the wrong end of the PI zero to the tipi, misunderstanding which side pin 40 was on. Long story short I can power the Pi and see it on the network, access it. I can run any of the memory test program's on the SAMS and all is fine. When I try to CALL TIPI, it just hangs there forever and I never see a TIPI name on the title screen. The led does light though. Did I kill my sidecar TIPI? If so is it just a matter of trying to burn the CLPD again, or replacing it. I never smelt any magic smoke nor do I see any obvious damage to the chip.

15 hours ago, RickyDean said:

I'm going to ask this question. When I use the Raspberry PI imager to copy the buster image to the sd car, it ask if I want to change settings, So I do and go into the screen and add my wifi info then go out and I can then burn the image. Is the TIPI waiting and can't go further because I added that info? or should I have just copied the image then used call tipi and change it there? Maybe that's why it's hanging?

- TIPI cpld is likely fried, you threw 5v onto it if you plugged into the pin1 side.. all the things you describe are what would happen if you did that

- We have zero spare parts anymore you are likely going to have to buy another tipi if you can't replace the cpld yourself, depending on who you bought it from on Ebay they might offer a repair at a price if you tell them you cooked it

tipi when communicating from the ti side it will try to talk to the pi and wait forever for it to respond.. if the cpld is cooked on the pi interface lines, it would wait forever as no signaling would be coming to or from the cpld to the pi

there are no other lines as this is part of the pcb.. you would need to replace the cpld and program with the tipi firmware

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

- TIPI cpld is likely fried, you threw 5v onto it if you plugged into the pin1 side.. all the things you describe are what would happen if you did that

- We have zero spare parts anymore you are likely going to have to buy another tipi if you can't replace the cpld yourself, depending on who you bought it from on Ebay they might offer a repair at a price if you tell them you cooked it

tipi when communicating from the ti side it will try to talk to the pi and wait forever for it to respond.. if the cpld is cooked on the pi interface lines, it would wait forever as no signaling would be coming to or from the cpld to the pi

there are no other lines as this is part of the pcb.. you would need to replace the cpld and program with the tipi firmware

Yep, figured that last night. Not in a hurry as money is tight till I win my Workmans Comp case. But I will get a CLPD or may already have one. When I got the PI Zero, I didn't get the pinout and misread online which end was which. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my TIPI PEB setup and have a small issue that I hope someone can shed some light. My system has a TI RS232 and a TI disk controller that has the modified ROMs to allow 80 track drives on devics DSK2 and DSK3. DSK1 is a DSDD 1/2 height 360K drive, DSK2 is a Gotek setup with Flash Floppy and DSK3 is and external 720K 3.5" drive that is not currently connected. The memory card is a Super AMS 1 meg card and there is also a 2 meg HRD4000 at CRU 1200. The HRD is setup with several drives starting at DSK4. In this configuration everything works fine and I can use DM1000 to format, catalog or copy files to any of the physical or RAM drives. I installed the TIPI at CRU 1000 and set up the wireless but with no drive mappings. The TIPI has a DSR dated 2023-08-04 and the PI is 3.25. With the TIPI installed I get an I/O error trying to do a directory or any other request on DSK1 or DSK2 but it works fine with DSK4 and up when using DM1000. If I use DM2K it will do a directory just fine and saving or retrieving a file from DSK1 in BASIC works fine. I tried moving the CRU of the TIPI to 1400 but it made no difference.

Is there an issue with DM1000 and TIPI? I can probably switch and use DM2K but I find the interface easier with DM1000. TIA

• Like 1

Any disk management application released prior to a new device is incapable of being compatible with systems containing the new device. 

TI did not create a standard for disk management, they created an example. Myarc, and the hobby projects like SCSI, IDE, HRD and TIPI follow that example, but to interact with those management APIs require a unique piece of knowledge to be hard coded into the management application per supported device.

Fred's DM2K is current and aware of all the things. I have written ForceCommand to be the management app that is TIPI aware and is aware of all the things, but I don't have a floppy format command yet.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Any disk management application released prior to a new device is incapable of being compatible with systems containing the new device. 

TI did not create a standard for disk management, they created an example. Myarc, and the hobby projects like SCSI, IDE, HRD and TIPI follow that example, but to interact with those management APIs require a unique piece of knowledge to be hard coded into the management application per supported device.

Fred's DM2K is current and aware of all the things. I have written ForceCommand to be the management app that is TIPI aware and is aware of all the things, but I don't have a floppy format command yet.  

Thanks for the response and I understand what you are saying regarding old software and new hardware. I started with the TI and although I got a lot of enjoyment out of it while building a substantial system back then I eventually went to the darkside. In the last couple years I have stepped back into the TI arena, more for nostalgic reasons and am intrigued by what is still available and the support for it some 40 years later.

I am quite familiar with DOS so I will have to investigate Force Command further since it has some similarities as far as command lines go. I will have to learn DM2K better as well.

On 3/29/2024 at 2:17 AM, Lumpy said:

Thanks for the response and I understand what you are saying regarding old software and new hardware. I started with the TI and although I got a lot of enjoyment out of it while building a substantial system back then I eventually went to the darkside. In the last couple years I have stepped back into the TI arena, more for nostalgic reasons and am intrigued by what is still available and the support for it some 40 years later.

I am quite familiar with DOS so I will have to investigate Force Command further since it has some similarities as far as command lines go. I will have to learn DM2K better as well.

if you are using old programs, move TIPI to 1800 cru.. it may interfere.. I've seen disk manager fail even if you have no disks mapped on tipi.. ymmv  (I ran a cable out from jumper 1800 externally so i could shut down, stick a jumper on it, and power up at 1800 or reverse the process to go back to 1000)

DM2k is CRU aware but you will find that no functions really work for the TIPI. device other than cataloging it.. use DSK0. in DM2K as that works  .. if you haven't read the TIPI docs on it, DSK0 and TIPI are the same device.. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 9:18 PM, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Aren't there another set of pins the message signals can be diverted to?:ponder:

There might be... barely enough, but that would require a lot of surgery and time, and learning. And risky. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

... I ran a cable out from jumper 1800 externally so i could shut down, stick a jumper on it, and power up at 1800 or reverse the process to go back to 1000 ...

Interesting idea. I may actually consider this some day.

• 3 weeks later...

@stud33heisman  answering you in the tipi support thread where we do tipi support

Ah, my second post on Atari Age.. of course it's a "Help Me!" message 😆

First I will address what appears to be my biggest hurdles at the moment.  Second, I will go over my setup, etc. to help perhaps point out any issues that may be a result of user error or otherwise.

My two main issues are that I cannot transfer files to my TIPI/Raspberry Pi, and the other issue is that I cannot seem to access certain sites while others seem okay.

I followed jedimatt's wiki tutorial for the setup of the TIPI and everything seems to boot up and run okay.  I also used ArcadeShopper's youtube video and other Atari Age/TI99 resources to set up my Wifi, etc.

My WiFi is connected and appears to work fine.  I can also access "MYTI99.COM" but only the login page or various game start screens since I need an account set up and can't set that up until I get the web browser working.  I have tried accessing the "WHTECH" site to load the "DM2K" program, but all I ever get is a solid blue screen.  When I try to access the TIPI from a Windows Computer, my access is either denied or some other issue.  Despite those issues, I have no problem accessing and connecting to "TELNET".

A little bit more about my setup:  I am using a TIPI PEB from The Brewing Academy, a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, Sandisk 64GB Extreme Ultra Micro SD Card.  I have a working PEB and working SAMS 1mb card and a FinalGrom 99.  I made sure to always power down the Pi appropriately, and my TIPI PEB has been updated to version 3.25 once I was able to connect to WiFi.  I also expanded my SD card on my initial start up through the "TELNET" program.

From my descriptions can anybody suggest what the issue might be?  Thank you very much in advance for you time, suggestions, and input!

CALL TIPI and note the IP ADDRESS and the DSR DATE also make sure you have done any updates

on your pc go to file browser and type in the ip address or tipi or tipi.local   try all 3.. its all dependant on how your network is configured and your router

what is the date of your DSR?

DM2K had an issue loading from CALL TIPI at one point but I want to say it was resolved with the latest versions of everything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

@stud33heisman  answering you in the tipi support thread where we do tipi support

CALL TIPI and note the IP ADDRESS and the DSR DATE also make sure you have done any updates

on your pc go to file browser and type in the ip address or tipi or tipi.local   try all 3.. its all dependant on how your network is configured and your router

what is the date of your DSR?

DM2K had an issue loading from CALL TIPI at one point but I want to say it was resolved with the latest versions of everything.

Thank you for your assistance!

I went ahead and noted the IP Address and DSR Date.  Unfortunately typing the IP, tipi, and tipi.local did not work when used in the file browser.  It keeps telling me the site can't be reached.  

My DSR Build is: 2022-07-18 T17:21:25-07:00

The brief docs on getting at the web interface are here: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/tipi-installation#transfering-files

The port number is important if using a web browser. 

The windows file browser can require be picky about the Linux Samba host and lack of authentication. I think on some versions of windows I have had to Google up some windows settings to allow connecting to unsecured file servers.

• Like 2

Thank you for your suggestions!  Unfortunately enabling Guest Access in SMB didn't seem to change anything. 

Still cannot access the TIPI from my Windows 10 or Windows 7 computers.  Tried both file browsers and web browsers to no avail.  The web browser seems to act like the web address doesn't exist.  And file explorer doesn't act like it exists either.

For fun I also tried hooking my Pi up with an Ethernet cable.  Still have the same issues.  While having the cable connected I also tried to access DM2K from the ftp.whtech site and still get a solid blue screen and nothing more.  

4 hours ago, stud33heisman said:

Thank you for your suggestions!  Unfortunately enabling Guest Access in SMB didn't seem to change anything. 

Still cannot access the TIPI from my Windows 10 or Windows 7 computers.  Tried both file browsers and web browsers to no avail.  The web browser seems to act like the web address doesn't exist.  And file explorer doesn't act like it exists either.

For fun I also tried hooking my Pi up with an Ethernet cable.  Still have the same issues.  While having the cable connected I also tried to access DM2K from the ftp.whtech site and still get a solid blue screen and nothing more.  

Have you connected to your router and are you then able to see the attached PI?  That will give you the ip-address:port where it is located.  If it is not displaying on the router, and if you are using WIFI, then you likely are not using proper credentials on your PI configuration.

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Have you connected to your router and are you then able to see the attached PI?  That will give you the ip-address:port where it is located.  If it is not displaying on the router, and if you are using WIFI, then you likely are not using proper credentials on your PI configuration.

Hi 9640News,

I accessed my router through its mobile app and yes I am able to see the Pi in both WiFi and Ethernet cable.  The Wifi connection shows up as "Unknown", but provides an IP address and appears to be working normally.  The Ethernet connection shows up as "tipi" and possesses a different IP. I have tried using the Ethernet IP when trying to access the Pi but getting the same result unfortunately.

An example URL for the web browser looks like this:

http://192.168.1.65:9900/

Note "http" and not "https" - in most web browsers if you want no 's' you have to type the 'http:' explicitly.

An example CIFS/Samba path for a windows FILE browser looks like:

\\192.168.1.65\TIPI\

If your router provides local DNS for your home network, then usually you can use tipi.local instead of the IP address. Otherwise run CALL TIPI from TI BASIC and use the IP address it reports on the 4A screen.

13 hours ago, stud33heisman said:

Hi 9640News,

I accessed my router through its mobile app and yes I am able to see the Pi in both WiFi and Ethernet cable.  The Wifi connection shows up as "Unknown", but provides an IP address and appears to be working normally.  The Ethernet connection shows up as "tipi" and possesses a different IP. I have tried using the Ethernet IP when trying to access the Pi but getting the same result unfortunately.

on your pc in a cmd prompt can you ping the ip address?  ping x.x.x.x  is the command replacing the x with the ip address numbers

if that works try ping tipi   and ping tipi.local

You can also verify that the service are running by telnetting into the PI from the 4A. The terminal is a little mismatched for Linux so you generally need to type everything perfectly the first time.

From TI BASIC:

CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET")

Pick the appropriate screen mode, 80 columns requires an F18A.

For the hostname prompt enter:

localhost

For the port enter:

At the login prompt enter the credentials:

Username: tipi

Password: tipi

Then run:

sudo systemctl status TIPI web.service

What does it show?

• Like 1