IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

As you see, it's somewhere above 12000 bytes where Extended Basic switches to this alternative save format. You may keep the PROGRAM format for another while when you use CALL FILES(1). In that case, the number of simultaneously open files is limited to 1 (instead of the default 3), which frees some more space, but which also means you have to do this CALL FILES each time you try to load the program again.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just set up my new sidecar TIPI/32K combination on my spare F18A equipped console combined with a diminutive VGA monitor and tiny side speaker et voila! A highly transportable full-fledged system that easily fits inside a carry-on luggage or even backpack. No need to be separated from your favorite computer anymore 🙂

20231024_164256.thumb.jpg.5fa7d3e69e5d7dadf14abd5dd7f7b1ba.jpg

• Like 10

I've suddenly developed an odd problem with my TIPI

I've mapped CS1 to an existing path but non-existing file name (TIPI.TEST.TESTING) but when I try to SAVE CS1 from console basic I get an instant "I/O error 66". If I delete the mapping then the save accesses the tape drive routine as normal (so it's seeing the TIPI when mapped)

FYI I was also having problems launching FC (corrupt screen and once that issue went away FC would hang after I typed a few characters) though after a complete shutdown that seems to be working ok now (I do get odd things happening when it occasionally creates odd file names from a disk image and I try to delete them via the web interface which then seems to cause a cascade of issues until a Pi/TIPI power off/on)

Have tested the F18a in 80 column & the FG99 with various other software and they seem to be functioning ok

Any thoughts on the "I/o error 66" please? It was working fine for me before

Many thanks

• Sad 1

Not sure if this has any relevance

I can save/load to/from TIPI. (e.g. OLD TIPI.TEST.TESTING) without an issue

But if I then map that file to CS1 when I try OLD CS1 I get the standard tape routine

But I can't remember if the CS1 TIPI file format is different (and don't have any I created previously to check unfortunately)

Many Thanks

On 8/24/2023 at 3:46 PM, Atari2600PAL said:

CS1 Support is working fine for me (thanks for the updated DSR @arcadeshopper)

I did mess up initially and started my path with TIPI. (TIPI.DISKS.TESTCS1 for example) and got I/o error 66, but once I changed that to just DISKS.TESTCS1 it worked great

Many thanks

The answer to my problem

I've got a mind like a sieve these days!

Sorry

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 5:34 AM, mizapf said:

As you see, it's somewhere above 12000 bytes where Extended Basic switches to this alternative save format. You may keep the PROGRAM format for another while when you use CALL FILES(1). In that case, the number of simultaneously open files is limited to 1 (instead of the default 3), which frees some more space, but which also means you have to do this CALL FILES each time you try to load the program again.

Just a point of fact.

RXB can save any program into Internal Variable 254 format just by adding IV254 to that SAVE.

Any program in memory that would be at least 3 sectors on disk in size can be saved as IV254 format to disk or hard drive.

i.e. SAVE DSK3.TEST,IV254 

I just tried it with CS1,IV254 it seemed to work to save the file, but you would have to write a program to load it to make it load properly with Cassette.

As my Cassette does not work properly I can not test this test to see if it worked or not

1. Load a program with at least 3 or more sectors on disk file.

2. SAVE CS1,IV254

3. TURN OFF TI99/4A

4. OLD CS1,IV254

See if it did load that program. Let me know if that worked.

On 9/30/2023 at 10:10 AM, jedimatt42 said:

The latest image for real PI usage, is emulator compatible. Although not QEMU compatible. You can even use the web-ui on your existing real TIPI, and switch it between emulation mode and hardware mode. 

image.thumb.png.fd800e2bf99a2eae1de56b8e7940c853.png

image.thumb.png.4d56e8409bb7c8ce779a9c5541fd9365.png

Is the web-ui option usable with js99er.net?  I have tried to follow the instructions in the wiki [emulation installation · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki · GitHub] but they don't reference the emulation mode tool.  js99er halts (gets stuck) within the TIPI DSR routine, waiting for a response.  I've tried variations of the socket address including ws://tipi:9900/tipi and ws://tipi.local:9900/tipi as described, without success.  I verified that I am using http (not https) and have tried both Edge and FireFox.  

image.png.b99e3432aa9ba90cec13af16a04acd2a.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

There are no TIPI side settings that are unique to MAME vs js99er.

Thanks.  Maybe I have something incorrectly configured and/or interfering with both browsers.  I am able to successfully use and access the real RPI with MAME 0.258 but not with js99er.net.  I'll try js99er from another machine later tonight or tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I should also add that you have to use http not https when accessing js99er for the TIPI emulation to work. Chrome insists on always switching to https no matter what (I tried fixing that at  chrome://net-internals/#hsts but no luck), so I switch to either Firefox or Edge when I need to run the emulation. 

• Like 3

Update 3.25 - 2023-11-04

- Add 'SCRATCH' 0x08 PAB opcode support.

From: "File Management Specification - Implementation" Section 3.2.9 SCRATCH RECORD

The SCRATCH RECORD operation removes the record specified in bytes 6 and 7 (Record Number) of the PAB from the specified relative record file. This operation causes an error for peripherals opened as sequential files. No device currently supports this operation.

I may not have enforced the 'RELATIVE' vs 'SEQUENTIAL' open mode correctly, so ... don't push it. It is only meant to work for FIXED width record files open in RELATIVE access mode. 

It is my understanding that there may be a small amount of software out there that uses this, in conjunction with one of the ram disks. 

No ROM update is required.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On my new TiPi I ran into my 1st (and so far only) program that doesn't want to run on the TiPi, PILOT99. Pilot99 use : in the names of the support files. when converted from DOAD to TIFILES Windows/DOS can't handle the : so changed to something else, in this case ;. when try to run Pilot99 it just locks. even tried using Filezap and search for references in the programs to the file name and change it but no go. any idea if and how to fix?

in reality thou I probably won't be developing in the console anyway as I do all development for the TI99 on the PC. So no big lose if can't fix. everything else works real cool. the TiPi was also a breeze to set up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hloberg said:

On my new TiPi I ran into my 1st (and so far only) program that doesn't want to run on the TiPi, PILOT99. Pilot99 use : in the names of the support files. when converted from DOAD to TIFILES Windows/DOS can't handle the : so changed to something else, in this case ;. when try to run Pilot99 it just locks. even tried using Filezap and search for references in the programs to the file name and change it but no go. any idea if and how to fix?

in reality thou I probably won't be developing in the console anyway as I do all development for the TI99 on the PC. So no big lose if can't fix. everything else works real cool. the TiPi was also a breeze to set up.

The TIPI has a web-ui, and you can upload a .DSK and keep Windows out of the file naming business.

You can also rename the files via the TI with ForceCommand or maybe DM2K, and restore the colon characters in the names. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

The TIPI has a web-ui, and you can upload a .DSK and keep Windows out of the file naming business.

You can also rename the files via the TI with ForceCommand or maybe DM2K, and restore the colon characters in the names. 

thanks. still going over the documentation for tipi and forcecommand. I haven't looked in to the uploading a .DSK with the webui yet, but have uploaded TIFILES with much success. uploading straight from .DSK would save a lot of trouble of conversion.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:01 AM, hloberg said:

thanks. still going over the documentation for tipi and forcecommand. I haven't looked in to the uploading a .DSK with the webui yet, but have uploaded TIFILES with much success. uploading straight from .DSK would save a lot of trouble of conversion.

It's magic.

Use the same part of the web-ui for uploading a 'file', but if the file is a .DSK, then TIPI will detect it, look at the volume name, and create a directory with that volume name, and extract all the files into that directory. If the directory already exists, then a new directory will be created with an incremented name. The sector dump will also be saved, so programs that need to read things by sector will work when the drive is mapped. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

It's magic.

Use the same part of the web-ui for uploading a 'file', but if the file is a .DSK, then TIPI will detect it, look at the volume name, and create a directory with that volume name, and extract all the files into that directory. If the directory already exists, then a new directory will be created with an incremented name. The sector dump will also be saved, so programs that need to read things by sector will work when the drive is mapped. 

discovered that alchemy yesterday and used it a lot so far. oddly PILOT still doesn't work but doesn't lock up. instead gives error 'can't find directory' which be easier figure out later then just a lockup.

• Like 2