IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

On 10/30/2022 at 10:22 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

@tmp:

1) regarding OS, I am missing the XL OS Rev. 2 (or XL 1.2).

There are some tools and demos that do require this OS to be present or they will not work.

(An old CSS demo comes to mind.)

A good source of Atari related files is ftp.pigwa.net. Plain FTP with no authentication. I use Filezilla Client for the PC. All four XLOS may be transferred specifically from /stuff/collections/SIO2SD_DVD/ROM/Rom - OS/XLROMS. This extract is from the OSROMS.txt file:-

XL/XE rev.1             All info found in an Atari 600XL
XL/XE rev.2             All info found in an Atari 800XL
XL/XE rev.3             All info found in an 800XE
XL/XE rev.4             All info found in an Atari XE Game System

Looks like I need an AVGCart now....It's nearly Christmas!

I am having problems making the videos as the same way I was making them before , the screen rolls as if it were Pal in an NTSC Atari, maybew I need to redownload everything. On another note the cart works good for 30 minute 80 meg PDM files , I am at the moment converting Old Time Radio Broadcasts.... Russ

I am getting weird videos when I process my movies, can someone please check this movie and see if you are getting the same thing as I am? I will upload a short video of what I am getting , PDM plays fine, but not avf

ABBA_-_Dancing_Queen_NTSC.avf

Edited by rcamp48

On 11/4/2022 at 3:34 PM, tmp said:

you should be able to mount atr as d3: (shift-3), then run s2sdx3.car and have access to both hdd partitions and d3 (and potentially d1: from fujinet)

Can you do me a favor tmp, can you write a short program that will send the control-shift-u to the update program on the AVG cart? My control key on my is not working , I have ordered a new mylar for my 800xl but it will take a week for it to come in from Brad at Best Electronics, my AVG cart is half updated or something like that as I thought the control key was working (the only dead keys on my keyboard are the help key and the control key and the break key). Tried to fix it several times but no luck. Russ

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Absalon said:

I just ordered and also got my AVG card this week! (slovakia to germany) Everything worked fine out of the box. Thank you very much!!

Now I'll be spending some time with the card to get used to it 😄

You will really enjoy the cart, so much so that I expect you will hear these words, "you love that cart more than me"..

And never, not even in jest say, "yes I do"..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

Can you do me a favor tmp, can you write a short program that will send the control-shift-u to the update program on the AVG cart? My control key on my is not working , I have ordered a new mylar for my 800xl but it will take a week for it to come in from Brad at Best Electronics, my AVG cart is half updated or something like that as I thought the control key was working (the only dead keys on my keyboard are the help key and the control key and the break key). Tried to fix it several times but no luck. Russ

you can't run the update process without being able to press those keys and to change that, you'd need a firmware update which you can't do

5 hours ago, tmp said:

i'm not aware of any, what tool do you prefer for benchmarking?

This thread although old, compared different interfaces:

This is the program that was used:

http://drac030.krap.pl/rwtest.arc

If anyone has another program that is more standard that is fine as well so long as it's accurate, thanks

Edited by IndusGT

On 10/29/2022 at 5:30 AM, remowilliams said:

I've recently acquired an AVG cart plus PBI/ECI/SIO connectors and I have to say @tmp that this is hands down the best no mod multifunction upgrade you could possibly make to the XL/XE machines - amazingly well done, thank you!

I've assembled a quick key functionality reference for myself from @Mr Robot excellent source material.  I'll attach it here in case it's of any use to other users.

AVG Cart Quick Reference.pdf 631.36 kB · 62 downloads

Thanks a lot mate!

Believe it or not, my eyes aren't that good anymore and errmmm, when I print that PDF, I am having difficulties in the printout to recognize the pictures/icons of the keys and what is printed on them, so I decided to type in the used keys as text instead of pictures/icons. (Also shortened the comments a bit due to lazyness.) Here is the AVG Quick Reference as ODT, DOC and RTF.

Please let me know if I made some typos or other mistakes, so I can correct them.

AVGCart_QuickReference_text.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Manual needs update, Z no longer works to scroll an extra long name, only the inverse key does that now.

Also had a weird thing, the AVG menu wasn't coming up, it just booted normally. Put the SD into a PC and all is fine, put it back in the cart and non working.Gave all connectors a contact spray clean. Same thing. Put a different SD in and I got a blank white screen which is normal if there's no recognised content, so I then copied my old SD and put it on the new one. In it went, SAME problem. Thought, maybe it's been picky with SD's, tried 4 and all did the same thing. Got a bit annoyed so went in and cleared the contents of the _AVGCART file and a single file in the root that was a strange size and just called I. Popped that card back in and it booted fine, put one of the other cards that were direct copies of the old card and no boot.

So there's a file that can stop the card booting..Will go through the other cards and work out what the file is..

3 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Manual needs update, Z no longer works to scroll an extra long name, only the inverse key does that now.

i think it should work when "letter shortcuts" are enabled (which is disabled by default since 0028) otherwise it will just start search

3 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Also had a weird thing, the AVG menu wasn't coming up, it just booted normally. Put the SD into a PC and all is fine, put it back in the cart and non working.Gave all connectors a contact spray clean. Same thing. Put a different SD in and I got a blank white screen which is normal if there's no recognised content, so I then copied my old SD and put it on the new one. In it went, SAME problem. Thought, maybe it's been picky with SD's, tried 4 and all did the same thing. Got a bit annoyed so went in and cleared the contents of the _AVGCART file and a single file in the root that was a strange size and just called I. Popped that card back in and it booted fine, put one of the other cards that were direct copies of the old card and no boot.

So there's a file that can stop the card booting..Will go through the other cards and work out what the file is..

does left cart button and reset get it back to selector?

usual cause is someone enabling auto side mode (which just enables ide registers and disables cart on power up)

• Thanks 1

Aha, looks like SIDE mode was on auto as you say, Control S and card boots normally with the original card in. Why it was enabled escapes me because I don't use the cart for that at all??

And yes, the left button and reset did work..

I saw you had put the 'final' of 28 up, it did class as an update so flashed it on..

Trying to keep up with all the menu keys etc..

Thanks tmp...

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 11:13 PM, IndusGT said:

This thread although old, compared different interfaces:

This is the program that was used:

http://drac030.krap.pl/rwtest.arc

If anyone has another program that is more standard that is fine as well so long as it's accurate, thanks

Anyone able to run the speed benchmark ? Thanks

On 10/29/2022 at 12:28 PM, tmp said:

a new beta, delayed by a few weeks due to a nasty bug buried in the softcpu core

ae28

- added type 75 (Atarimax 1MB "new")

- "about" ("?") extended to show some useful information about current state/config

- launching ROM files lets you choose cart type

- menu (CAPS)

- ability to choose bg/fg/border color (wow, right?)

- OS selection (PBI/ECI cable)

- most settings are now saved to a new config file so old settings will be replaced with defaults

- some random bugs fixed, some random bugs added

23 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I saw you had put the 'final' of 28 up, it did class as an update so flashed it on..

Trying to keep up with all the menu keys etc..

Thanks tmp...

Hmmm, ae28 released here was described as a Beta due to some nasty bug. Where did you find final 28 ?

On the AVG discord

https://discord.com/channels/763343689887121408/874688478095474699

avgcart-0028.zip

28 has been out a while but tmp knew there were bugs so wanted it just on the discord until it was more stable..  Now its had some fixes and not a beta any longer..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2022 at 5:51 AM, IndusGT said:

Anyone able to run the speed benchmark ? Thanks

i'm unable to get any reliable numbers from rwtest, according to docs latest sdx should support divisor as low as 1 but i'm having issues with it (read speeds dropping to hundreds of bytes per sec indicating there are tons of retries while writes being stable)

with divisor 5 i had write/read 5050/5455 (via sio)

emulated hdd speeds were around 50-60kB/s (i forgot to write them down)

i need to figure out why low divisors are acting up in sdx