IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

20 minutes ago, tmp said:

i'm unable to get any reliable numbers from rwtest, according to docs latest sdx should support divisor as low as 1 but i'm having issues with it (read speeds dropping to hundreds of bytes per sec indicating there are tons of retries while writes being stable)

with divisor 5 i had write/read 5050/5455 (via sio)

emulated hdd speeds were around 50-60kB/s (i forgot to write them down)

i need to figure out why low divisors are acting up in sdx

Thanks for running them, guess there's a compromise with stability/speed with writes. I just bought a cart with all cables, looking forwards to trying it out.

On 11/14/2022 at 5:06 PM, Mclaneinc said:

Also had a weird thing, the AVG menu wasn't coming up, it just booted normally.

Had a similar problem. Whenever I plugged in the AVG cart. the READY prompt appeared as if the cart wasn't there. Always had to press the cart button to make the menu appear, which seemed strange to me. Control+S solved that problem for me. (And next time something strange happens I will try Shift+? to see if I accidentally enabled something that I do not need.)

2 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Had a similar problem. Whenever I plugged in the AVG cart. the READY prompt appeared as if the cart wasn't there. Always had to press the cart button to make the menu appear, which seemed strange to me. Control+S solved that problem for me. (And next time something strange happens I will try Shift+? to see if I accidentally enabled something that I do not need.)

Me too, I seem to be all fingers and thumbs at the moment..

Hi, one of my usual "I really should know this" questions.

I'm close to getting a PBI cable, but I can't remember if all the PCB's with take the cable. I have the green PCB that didn't have the SIO connector socket already added. I have 2 identical connects, one for SIO and one for debricking / programming. There' s a place on the PCB for where a much longer (9 holes) place to be wired to?

Is this the one that needs to be added.

Or do I have a non-expandible PCB.

I seem to remember a series of pictures showing the various production PCB's and where to put a connector, but I can find it, sure its in this thread but 86 pages is a slow process :)

TIA

Paul..

two issues with PBI cable and older carts

1. 5V

there's no 5v on 800xl pbi by default so one pin on 9pin connector was changed from ground to 5v on the newer carts

the fix would be either isolating that pin before soldering the 9 pin connector on the pcb and bringing 5v to it via wire or modifying 800xl to have 5v on pbi and pbi cable pcb to use 5v from pbi and not from the cart

first option is shown here at the bottom, 5v wire is missing though

https://avgcart.tmp.sk/ecimod/

2. length

currently made pbi cables are probably too short for being plugged into old position connector and loop inside the cart to exit (cable braid is also adding stiffness so it increases the radius of that loop)

i'll take a photo later to show what i mean

I may forgo all this as I have a Ultimate 1MB in there, I was just going to do it to use the fancy stuff on the cart, but I already have the ram and can have 4 OS's.

Seems a load of hassle and extra cable cost to mod it...

Thanks for the info tmp, you saved me time and a bit of cash..

7 hours ago, tmp said:

two issues with PBI cable and older carts

1. 5V

there's no 5v on 800xl pbi by default so one pin on 9pin connector was changed from ground to 5v on the newer carts

the fix would be either isolating that pin before soldering the 9 pin connector on the pcb and bringing 5v to it via wire or modifying 800xl to have 5v on pbi and pbi cable pcb to use 5v from pbi and not from the cart

first option is shown here at the bottom, 5v wire is missing though

https://avgcart.tmp.sk/ecimod/

2. length

currently made pbi cables are probably too short for being plugged into old position connector and loop inside the cart to exit (cable braid is also adding stiffness so it increases the radius of that loop)

i'll take a photo later to show what i mean

Well, now I am confused.... If I have a newer cart and the PBI cable... is there any problem connecting it to any of these:

1. 600xl (has 5V on the PBI)
  2. 800xl (has no 5V on the PBI)
  3. 800XL (modified to add 5V to PBI via jumper to pin 47)
  4. 800XL (modified to add 5V to PBI via jumper to pin 48)

20 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

Well, now I am confused.... If I have a newer cart and the PBI cable... is there any problem connecting it to any of these:

no

6 hours ago, MrFSL said:

But it looks a bit like Avg of Borg. :-D 

IMG_1740.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/16/2022 at 12:17 AM, tmp said:

i'm unable to get any reliable numbers from rwtest, according to docs latest sdx should support divisor as low as 1 but i'm having issues with it (read speeds dropping to hundreds of bytes per sec indicating there are tons of retries while writes being stable)

with divisor 5 i had write/read 5050/5455 (via sio)

emulated hdd speeds were around 50-60kB/s (i forgot to write them down)

i need to figure out why low divisors are acting up in sdx

SDX only doing lower SIO divisors with different filter afair... like when you use pclink etc.

19 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I just put in the new mylar and updated my AVG cart but I am still getting weird graphics from the AVF player, anyone know why?

can you elaborate on that? no video plays properly or some videos don't play properly? did it work before on the same sd card? did you try another sd card? did you check whether the videos are contiguous?

3 hours ago, tmp said:

can you elaborate on that? no video plays properly or some videos don't play properly? did it work before on the same sd card? did you try another sd card? did you check whether the videos are contiguous?

None of my videos play properly they used to, maybe I have bad files to create them and I tried 2 different sd cards

On 11/17/2022 at 3:45 PM, Mclaneinc said:

I may forgo all this as I have a Ultimate 1MB in there, I was just going to do it to use the fancy stuff on the cart, but I already have the ram and can have 4 OS's.

Seems a load of hassle and extra cable cost to mod it...

Thanks for the info tmp, you saved me time and a bit of cash..

Do you have any problems using the AVG cart with the U1MB cart? Is there special firmware for both?

Russ

@tmp

I have a question. There is this new awesome 1MB demo "Rewind". My Atari XE&XL has this internal 512K memory expansion (picture). I also own AVGCART.

With the Internal 512K Memory Expansion, could I use it together with the AVGCART Memory Expansion to get 1MB?

Is it then possible to start this 1MB Rewind demo? 🤔

Best regards,

MiC

Edit: I haven't bought the ECI cable yet. If 1MB is possible, I'll buy two immediately 🙂

Rewind by New Generation & Zelax :: pouët.net (pouet.net)

S_Ram_512_V4.4_1.jpg

Edited by MiCV2