IGNORED

So the C64 *scene* finally died

Hey bandwidth isn't cheap, if Lemon has been around for years they probably have paid through the nose for server costs.

I think the C64 scene is doing great, lots of posts in the newsgroups including complete rom sets, magazines, etc. in the alt.binaries.emulators.misc group. Several guys are still making the X1541 PC cables and someone is working on the C-One (sp?), a new computer with commodore guts. Pretty vibrant scene :)

:lol: 80 cents a game ?

Personality I wouldnt bother since you can just download em for free at other sites as well.

Even for 80 cents you would expect to be the "original" version and not a cracked version.

:ponder:

Hi there!

As long as there are sooo many alternative websites (e.g. http://almighty.c64.org or  http://arnold.c64.org) I wouldn't worry too much.

Well I hope Mr. "We do not charge for the game itself, but only for the service of emailing it to you." gets his butt seriously kicked for just trying that nonsense. I thought it was less than a year when he removed all download links from Lemon64, because the IDSA was after him - at least that's what he said.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

It wasn't the IDSA, it was someone else claiming copyright infringement on their work... but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't still sniffing around...

Well, if it was that someone else, he could've just removed them Boulder Dash and Spy vs. Spy images, or? :)

Greetings,

Manuel

He was worried that other people would do the same etc... so to avoid any future hassles, he just stopped all the downloads except for those he had permission for.

I actually didn't know he'd started charging for it. Not that I need to, have all the games before me. Doesn't surprise me though, Lemon64 is a big site with big bandwidth costs...

Hi there!

He was worried that other people would do the same etc... so to avoid any future hassles, he just stopped all the downloads except for those he had permission for.

So you see, now he is charging for the very same games he didn't dare to offer for download before. The ones he has the permission for (Simulmondo for example) are still available for free downloads.

Greetings,

Manuel

Yeah I spoke to Kim... it was merely a "trial" thing that was never meant to be "released" to the public. He was testing something out. His bad basically.

As for CIA, yeah knew about that as soon as it happened. Exactly what happened to my site 3 months ago. Mine is coming back soon though, and I'm sticking 2 fingers up at them by keeping the downloads available (but harder to find)...

I don't understand why they would try this at Lemon... wouldn't charging money for downloads be even MORE illegal than offering them for free, since you're basically selling someone else's work? I guess that's why they claim the charge is not actually to pay for the game, but still... seems like thin ice to me.

As for taking these sites down, I really don't see the point. It's just like that VIC-20 site that got removed a while back... whatever company had this done, I guarantee they lost money on the whole thing by paying lawyers to concern themselves with it... not to mention that they dirty their image somewhat by pissing off the fans. There's no money to be made off these games anymore, so there's no profits to protect. Good job guys.

I really hate lawyers. :x

--Zero

THIS WHOLE THREAD IS BULL.

Lemon64 isn't charging for games.  Where did you come up with this crap???

I don't think it's cool to try to discredit a site like Lemon64 that is supporting the classic gaming scene.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

can anyone say LEARN TO READ YOU GODDAMNED POMPOUS JACKOFF SON OF A BITCH HEAD SO FAR UP YOUR ASS YOU LOOK LIKE A CHIMNEY SWEEP SID CHIP FUCKING HORRIBLY ANNOYING HATED BY EVERYONE AT ATARIAGE GOD DAMN SON OF A BITCH?

oh wait, i just did. Lemon removed the link, but they had a pay 80 cents per rom thing set up, with the 80 cent fee being "email shipping"

Hi.

I just wanted to ask a question. I never owned a commodore 64. Assuming that I could get a good emulator and some programs, how easy is it to use a commodore 64. Are there any sites for newbies to the commodore 64?

I used to use an Atari 800XL and I am familiar with that model but not with the commodore 64.

Assuming that I could get a good emulator and some programs, how easy is it to use a commodore 64.

Get VICE. It's probably the best all-round C-64 emulator, and in pretty much all cases, it'll auto-load games so that you don't even have to type in LOAD and RUN commands at all.

--Zero

PS - Note to self... vice.com has nothing to do with C-64 emulators... :ponder:

Get VICE. It's probably the best all-round C-64 emulator, and in pretty much all cases, it'll auto-load games so that you don't even have to type in LOAD and RUN commands at all.  

VICE is a good emulator. When I bought the PC CD-ROM version of Forbidden Forest, it came with VICE and the roms of Forbidden Forest and Beyond Forbidden Forest.

Archived