IGNORED

Is There Too Many YouTubers?

I watch little enough TV that I really should just buy the seasons of shows I like and forget the rest. Unfortunately for me, the cable company outsmarts me at every contract renewal by not giving me just the fast internet I want (and nothing else) without penalizing me for not committing to the whole dumb bundle, 2 years at a time. At least I wangled a few years of free HBO out of them. Never mind that everyone else is giving that away in cereal boxes.

Edit: derp, when you say "channels," you mean on YouTube, not cable. Ah well, the principle still stands. A la carte WOULD be preferable, but someone's gotta pay for all that storage and bandwidth. Might as well be Google, they're marginally less evil than Comcast or ATT or Verizon.

I finally stopped that cycle and dumped cable TV this past month. I went with Hulu Live (and added HBO with a deal).

Now that I've switched, my favorite thing to watch on Youtube is the PBS NewsHour - LOL

• Like 1

I got a nice package deal on Hulu (which I don't really use) and Washington Post (which is everyday reading for me) ...it came with the "limited commercial" option, and it seems spendy to upgrade it, but it's nice to know it's there if/when I finally cut the cord. As it is, we use the logins more than we actually watch stuff recorded on TiVo.

What was this topic actually about, anyway? I don't feel like sitting through two flabby rants that probably contain less information than a few carefully-worded tweets. Looks like Hancock said something poorly considered about his "competition," and OP countered it in an unprepared way. Did I miss anything interesting?

A pithy summary would be appreciated. Bonus points if you editorialize it with your own opinion so it's not just a bland recap. ;-)

Guy who puts in time, effort, and money into his videos was probably a bit too-exhausted and came across grumpy, when he intended to be helpful. Other guy (who clearly puts in the effort) wings a video response in defense of winging video responses. I think it's human nature at play--I'll never forget an elderly woman at a small winery looking down her nose when I casually mentioned wanting to brew elderberry wine. But, John Hancock/swlovinist seems sincere that he regrets how it came off; that he should have waited until he had more energy.

But then I'm a hypocrite as I could only sit through portions of the videos, myself, and am commenting anyway. That's not to disparage either YouTuber; it's just not the type of video I normally watch.

• Like 1

I watch a ton of Youtube content now, with several subscriptions I enjoy regularly. It sounds nice to say that the wheat is hopefully separated from the chaff, but I'm not sure if that's the case. There is lots of quality gaming content that simply gets overlooked because it's not clickbaity or focusing on a popular game. Those videos can often be the most interesting for exactly those reasons. And making decent edited content for Youtube is inordinately time consuming.

I watch a ton of Youtube content now, with several subscriptions I enjoy regularly. It sounds nice to say that the wheat is hopefully separated from the chaff, but I'm not sure if that's the case. There is lots of quality gaming content that simply gets overlooked because it's not clickbaity or focusing on a popular game. Those videos can often be the most interesting for exactly those reasons. And making decent edited content for Youtube is inordinately time consuming.

That's one of the most important reasons I've stopped. I made videos for a hobby with no intent on making money or being regular and the time it takes to edit a small 5 minute video can take up a good chunk of a Saturday, something I'm just not interested in doing anymore.

I'm glad John got a chance to straighten his stance out with that latest video that's a great follow up :)

• Like 3

I don't know if there are too many YouTubers, but there are definitely too many reviews.

How many times to we need to read, see, and hear the same things about the same games (especially from people who don't necessarily know what they're talking about)?

• Like 2

I feel like YouTube right now is kind of what AOL Hometown was in 2001/2002. There were over 10 million websites on Hometown at that time, and everyone and their mom was building a website. It became diluted and unsustainable because the content was extremely hit or miss, and eventually it just got shut down (around 2007/2008 or so). YouTube is becoming a diluted mess, with pay-for-play and ad-based searches taking the "organic" nature away from it.

I still use it, I watch it every day, and I still post 10-15 videos a year of me and my kids fishing or playing games. But I have seen a drastic change in it over the past year or two, and (while I don't necessarily like what I've seen) there isn't much anyone can do about it. It must take its natural course.

• Like 1

I saw both John's original & appology videos. Is the issue being of so many YT videos that of Quanity vs. Quality?

Whatever, I only watch ones that are informative yet entertaining, have unique styles & personalites and not the usual "YO!! LIKE & SUBSCRIBE KTHNX BYI!!!!!!!!!1" blasting at the first second.

Also like the copyright infringing pro-wrestling clips since YouTube got started.... ;D

Yes, sometimes it really sucks to work for a day on a video where the only like on it is your own.

I've been thinking way too much about this thread. At the core of it, this started as an advice video. There are lots of videos that tell budding youtubers to use nice equipment, upload on a regular basis, and work thanklessly for years until they get a few hundred subscribers. That actually smacks of rookie BS advice, IMO--like wearing a power tie to a business meeting.

I've been looking into adwords, and it seems like in-display ads targeted on specific, similar (but much larger) channels are the way to grow small channels. Yes, its paying for exposure, but that's pretty cheap compared to the hours required to bust out 3 slightly decent videos a week. It's pay-to-win (or possibly pay-to-lose), and mind, this is only for the youtuber concerned with high-scoring. Next time the tubes start getting me down again, I may kick $20 at it and see where it gets me.

If that's too obvious, I've considered two other techniques, that are both free and perhaps even more effective:

1) put out brainless garbage list videos. (10 hidden gems, top 10 ____) Because of how they're structured, these gather a lot of watch minutes and perform well in search.

2) drink own pee on camera. This is 100% bulletproof, and if tastefully done, I believe it still flies on the tubes.

Edited by Reaperman

I've been thinking way too much about this thread. At the core of it, this started as an advice video. There are lots of videos that tell budding youtubers to use nice equipment, upload on a regular basis, and work thanklessly for years until they get a few hundred subscribers. That actually smacks of rookie BS advice, IMO--like wearing a power tie to a business meeting.

This advice is sound, though. If you plan on taking your YouTube channel seriously, you want it to grow and you want it to be more than a hobby, it's best to build a quality foundation sooner than later. You don't want to be five years in, realize your content has been crap, and then make a change.

While consistency and decent production values are important, there are a lot of other things to think about as well:

1. The type of content you are making. Is it a topic that's been beaten to death? What are you bringing to the table that hasn't already been said a thousand times? If it has, how can you say it better?

2. Collaboration. Working with others gives you extra exposure. Look at the friends of some of these larger 'Tubers. Do you think they would be where they are today without the constant collaboration with their peers?

3. Advertising. How do you get the word out? Do you just upload your videos and hope for the best? You're not going to get very far very quickly that way. One tactic I see is spamming in forums, as commonly seen here. I don't like this, however, it seems to work.

4. Treat your peers with respect, and be careful not to burn bridges. When one of your peers explodes, you want to be there for the ride, not watching in regret from the sidelines. Because trust me, you will be left behind.

Something else people need to keep in mind is you can't expect your channel to grow over night. Unless you win the "YouTube Lottery", it just doesn't work like that. It's the same with any other form of creative endeavor, be it music, art, writing, or whatever. You can't expect immediate success, and it's unrealistic to think so.

• Like 2

It's a fine line... I don't think there are too many Youtubers in the sense that there is no more room left. However, there are enough channels currently existing that you need to really bring your A-game if you want to get any attention.

As a non-Youtuber and occasional audience member for the content in question, here are some things that come to mind for me:

- production quality, production quality, production quality! This is a "mature" enough space on Youtube that enough professional-looking content has been released to keep a casual viewer occupied for years. If I see a video where the presenter's eye sockets are buried in shadow and I have to turn my volume up to 9 to make out the dialog that is riddled with room echo, I'm going to move on

- resist the urge to have a rambling intro; get to the point

- use a tripod; wobbly video is tedious to stare at

- even if you have good production value, ask yourself if the world needs another video on whatever subject you're thinking of covering. For example, the "video game crash of 1983" and "the ET dig" and "Review of Atari 2600 Asteroids" are just not needed.

- have an angle, have something to say... don't be afraid to say something that contradicts the opinions of others

• Like 1

Country Time lemonade. Diluted tea still looks kinda brown and viewers might think you're having a medical breakdown.

If you dilute the tea enough it turns yellow. Or at least the brand of Iced Tea I used to use did when I was a kid trying to fool people into thinking I was drinking piss :P

confirmed, indistinguishable from piss

and that's just the taste, it looks like piss too

... and here I thought for the past few decades that is was the old "Olympia Beer" that had the sole distinction of being called 'piss', due to it's taste. Heck, they even advertised, "It's the water... and a lot more". BUT... I've found there REALLY IS PIS BEER! (Well sort of) :ponder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t29ZmrhBpN4

Country Time lemonade. Diluted tea still looks kinda brown and viewers might think you're having a medical breakdown.

No joke Im seeing Country Time ads on Facebook and Twitter after this discussion.

They claim kids with lemonade stands are getting harassed by bored cops with nothing better to do and claim theyll pay your kids fines. Which is cool if its a real thing. Is this really happening?

Edited by derFunkenstein

No joke Im seeing Country Time ads on Facebook and Twitter after this discussion.

They claim kids with lemonade stands are getting harassed by bored cops with nothing better to do and claim theyll pay your kids fines. Which is cool if its a real thing. Is this really happening?

The cops-and-lemonade-stand part last week (plus I read about a couple of additional times last year...same "permit" type situation)

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/05/29/lemonade-stand-shut-down/

The pay-your-fines part? don't know...

• Like 1