IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

Not sure if this would be possible, on the intellivoice games I realize why the title screens no longer say Mattel electronics presents but would it be possible to have it say Intellivision presents? Its not a huge deal, however, it seems like the experience is missing because of this fact. Yes, the games are intact maybe Im nitpicking. Anyway, I would love more news and I am definetly look in forward to this.

That's an interesting question. I'm not 100% certain on this, but didn't the Flashback just blank out the "Mattel Electronics Presents" part of the voice and only announce the game title? Would it be possible with enough effort and modern software tools to reconstruct a voice saying "Intellivision" from that voice's samples? Interesting question indeed.

It's definitely possible. Someone has the ability to create human sounding intellivoice speech e.g. hover bovver. Like the title screen text, the "mattel electronics presents" intellivoice phrase is not on the cartridge so the game rom does not need to be modified.

Myself, I prefer things kept original with "Mattel Electronics presents".

• Like 3

Not sure if this would be possible, on the intellivoice games I realize why the title screens no longer say Mattel electronics presents but would it be possible to have it say Intellivision presents? Its not a huge deal, however, it seems like the experience is missing because of this fact. Yes, the games are intact maybe Im nitpicking. Anyway, I would love more news and I am definetly look in forward to this.

Funny you mention that. The two main things that disappoint me about my Sears console is (1) it doesn't say Intellivision on the case and (2) the title screens don't say "Mattel Electronics presents."

I never picked one of those up either. Ouya was a very cool idea, and they did phenomenally well with funding, but they had little if any exclusive games. Why buy a new system if it doesn't have killer games you can't play anywhere else? That's what sells consoles. And that's what we are trying to do with the license deals and developers we are signing up. If we don't have killer games at launch, we'll suffer the same fate as Ouya.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

What protections (if any) are in place to prevent ROMs from being transported to emulators on different media? Revenues from game purchases (should) drive future development and make this an attractive environment for folks to invest their time and talents. If the system is largely dependent on cloud-based distribution of ethereal ROM files, piracy is an existential threat to such a business model. If code is compatible with widely available, existing emulation then its gambling a lot.

Beyond newly fabricated controllers, what benefits or exclusivity does the console offer that wouldn’t be served by an SD cartridge device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by atari-dna

It's definitely possible. Someone has the ability to create human sounding intellivoice speech e.g. hover bovver. Like the title screen text, the "mattel electronics presents" intellivoice phrase is not on the cartridge so the game rom does not need to be modified.

Myself, I prefer things kept original with "Mattel Electronics presents".

There may or may not be IP or © issues with that since Mattel still exists. I agree it would be nice to keep as much original content as possible though.

• Like 2

What protections (if any) are in place to prevent ROMs from being transported to emulators on different media? Revenues from game purchases (should) drive future development and make this an attractive environment for folks to invest their time and talents. If the system is largely dependent on cloud-based distribution of ethereal ROM files, piracy is an existential threat to such a business model. If code is compatible with widely available, existing emulation then its gambling a lot.

Beyond newly fabricated controllers, what benefits or exclusivity does the console offer that wouldnt be served by an SD cartridge device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These guys are primarily concerned with new games for the new platform. Emulating roms for the legacy system is a distant second. True anything can be hacked, but most people will pay for a rom even if piracy is an option. I bought all the Intellivision roms Intellivision Productions was selling even though it's easy enough for me to pirate them.

Regarding benefits of a new Intellivision emulation device. Not everyone wants to deal with 35 year old electronics and figuring out how to hook it up to their modern TV. And that's not mentioning the new modern games the new platform will offer.

Edit: And the new intellivision even with a cartridge port add-on might not play all homebrews.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

These guys are primarily concerned with new games for the new platform. Emulating roms for the legacy system is a distant second. True anything can be hacked, but most people will pay for a rom even if piracy is an option. I bought all the Intellivision roms Intellivision Productions was selling even though it's easy enough for me to pirate them.

Regarding benefits of a new Intellivision emulation device. Not everyone wants to deal with 35 year old electronics and figuring out how to hook it up to their modern TV. And that's not mentioning the new modern games the new platform will offer.

Edit: And the new intellivision even with a cartridge port add-on might not play all homebrews.

Heck the Retron77 seems like it is having issues. That is why I don't want a cart port. Lets not add cost to something that people won't be happy with because it will only play 80% of games.

How about skip the system altogether....

Make the controllers and emulator and the planned software etc. For the XBOX or PS4.

Add the Download feature into the emulation software.

Okay, I really want a system. But to be commercially successful, this may be the proper route?

Good question. I'll give you a couple of the most important reasons...

The main idea of the console is to create an easy to use, family-friendly system parents can understand, and feel safe about their kids playing. The entire console, and every game on it will be E or E10+ rated by the ESRB (we had a meeting with the president of the ESRB at E3, she was thrilled with the idea, as not even Nintendo can make a claim like this). That's can't happen if you're home is an XBONE or PS4, or even the Switch. There's no way to control that as a third party developer on someone else's system.

We also want to greatly simplify the 'online storefront' experience. Keep it easy to use and controlled (games must go through an approval process to be on the system, encryption will be employed to keep purchased games from being pirated and illegally shared). This is easily doable on a proprietary console, not as a third party developer in someone else's online store. Plus, being yet another game developer in those already crowded systems is a sure fire way to get lost in the shuffle.

With regard to being commercially successful... I can't give any specific details yet, but I can tell you that we've already signed up numerous game developers, secured lot's of big licenses (and I'm not just talking about the old games here), have some amazing hardware guys with successful products under their belts, are working with one of the best marketing firms in the video gaming business, and have more than enough investor backing to make all of this possible. Sure, it's a risk, but based on the research we've done, and the experts in the gaming field we've had meetings with, we're onto something with the concept.

But the good news is, you can decide for yourselves when the console is released. No upfront / pre-order money required.

• Like 7

Can you clarify a little about the release? A year and a half out? Two? All the suspense is driving me nuts but loving the info that has been shared.

The only thing I can say now is 2020.

So it won't be Christmas of 2018, nor 2019.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

Good question. I'll give you a couple of the most important reasons...

The main idea of the console is to create an easy to use, family-friendly system parents can understand, and feel safe about their kids playing. The entire console, and every game on it will be E or E10+ rated by the ESRB (we had a meeting with the president of the ESRB at E3, she was thrilled with the idea, as not even Nintendo can make a claim like this). That's can't happen if you're home is an XBONE or PS4, or even the Switch. There's no way to control that as a third party developer on someone else's system.

We also want to greatly simplify the 'online storefront' experience. Keep it easy to use and controlled (games must go through an approval process to be on the system, encryption will be employed to keep purchased games from being pirated and illegally shared). This is easily doable on a proprietary console, not as a third party developer in someone else's online store. Plus, being yet another game developer in those already crowded systems is a sure fire way to get lost in the shuffle.

With regard to being commercially successful... I can't give any specific details yet, but I can tell you that we've already signed up numerous game developers, secured lot's of big licenses (and I'm not just talking about the old games here), have some amazing hardware guys with successful products under their belts, are working with one of the best marketing firms in the video gaming business, and have more than enough investor backing to make all of this possible. Sure, it's a risk, but based on the research we've done, and the experts in the gaming field we've had meetings with, we're onto something with the concept.

But the good news is, you can decide for yourselves when the console is released. No upfront / pre-order money required.

I completely understand the control aspect. I like the direction as well.

I will support almost anything Intellivision. But, just putting the name on it, doesn't make it intellivision. It seems you get that! (you--being IE group)

I will always have a special place in my heart for the original Intellvision. I would still like to see Intellivision Productions release new games. Super Pro Auto Racing , 1984 Winter Olympics etc.

Make an IE version as well. I am all for Playing modern-ish games on an intellivision controller! Oh, I am also for ports not being dumb-down to the lowest common denominator.

Make the best version you can for the Original Console, make the best version you can for the New Console. Making the same game is a waste of time!

• Like 3

I will support almost anything Intellivision. But, just putting the name on it, doesn't make it intellivision. It seems you get that! (you--being IE group)

I will always have a special place in my heart for the original Intellvision. I would still like to see Intellivision Productions release new games. Super Pro Auto Racing , 1984 Winter Olympics etc.

Make an IE version as well. I am all for Playing modern-ish games on an intellivision controller! Oh, I am also for ports not being dumb-down to the lowest common denominator.

Make the best version you can for the Original Console, make the best version you can for the New Console. Making the same game is a waste of time!

I comepetely agree

• Like 1

I feel like it's still "Intellivision" because it's not just the name. It's the remakes of Intellivision games. It's the fact that there are so many original Intellivision people and lifelong fans involved. It's our passion and love of the original version that inspired this. It's the controllers which will still have the 16-direction disc, but with modern / updated styling and the addition of the touchscreen where the keypad used to be. To us it feels like a continuation of the brand, if you will.

And as I mentioned previously, current home brew developers and others can make new games for the "Legacy" side and sell them in the online store too. That will provide a new sales channel and exposure for them, in addition to the CIB cartridge releases we all love.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

I feel like it's still "Intellivision" because it's not just the name. It's the remakes of Intellivision games. It's the fact that there are so many original Intellivision people and lifelong fans involved. It's our passion and love of the original version that inspired this. It's the controllers which will still have the 16-direction disc, but with modern / updated styling and the addition of the touchscreen where the keypad used to be. To us it feels like a continuation of the brand, if you will.

And as I mentioned previously, current home brew developers and others can make new games for the "Legacy" side and sell them in the online store too. That will provide a new sales channel and exposure for them, in addition to the CIB cartridge releases we all love.

Can you make a new 'legacy' game, and put it on an SD card for use on the console?

Can you make a new 'legacy' game, and put it on an SD card for use on the console?

I don't know the answer to that, without knowing the details of the game. If it's a legally licensed game or an original game without IP issues then possibly - depending on whether or not the hardware is open to allow that, and I don't know at this point. But I do know that you could make that game available in the online store.

In an interview with Tommy, he said playing your own intellivision rom files from the sdcard would not be allowed. Like Nurmix says, their online store would be the way to go. Maybe they could provide a developers' back door for testing.

I was hoping for a full analog disc or at least 360d. Something that feels like the original disc but analog. I don't see the point of limiting it to 16 directions.

That was my take on this as well, given what you have been able to tell us about the project. That's the part that has me the most excited about this endeavor. I also agree that many of the concepts IE has talked about really pick up where the Wii let things slack a bit.

I don't know the answer to that, without knowing the details of the game. If it's a legally licensed game or an original game without IP issues then possibly - depending on whether or not the hardware is open to allow that, and I don't know at this point. But I do know that you could make that game available in the online store.

Yes, question was for a new licensed legacy Intellivision game. Or, even a newly programmed totally original Intellivision game, not programmed with Unity, but rather IntyBasic (or equivalent) and have in both the online store, and an SD card release.

Yes, question was for a new licensed legacy Intellivision game. Or, even a newly programmed totally original Intellivision game, not programmed with Unity, but rather IntyBasic (or equivalent) and have in both the online store, and an SD card release.

While I am a CIB kind of collector, I still would like to see publishers like yourself be able to use this to expand your business. Everyone wins in that scenario. Hopefully it works out exactly that way.

The possibilities this project could open up are getting more and more intriguing all the time.

Someone recently linked me to this thread. Just started reading it. I thought this was funny however. News Journalists rarely get it right when reporting on stuff of what they have little inside knowledge of:

Company AtGames followed on the success of the sold-out NES Classic last year, releasing Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis “flashback” consoles.

Um, yeah, the new Flashbacks were totally in response to the NES Classic, seeing that the annual AtGames releases have been coming out for like over a decade now? :P

• Like 4

In an interview with Tommy, he said playing your own intellivision rom files from the sdcard would not be allowed. Like Nurmix says, their online store would be the way to go. Maybe they could provide a developers' back door for testing.

That's true, as far as loading standard ROMs via SD card. But if we're talking about a new "Legacy" game that passes our quality control standards, has our anti-piracy encryption applied, and all expenses related to packaging, distribution and delivery are covered by the developer, that could be an option... albeit a very expensive option for the developer - particularly if we get the console out there in the numbers we hope, and the game is a good one.

I was hoping for a full analog disc or at least 360d. Something that feels like the original disc but analog. I don't see the point of limiting it to 16 directions.

Full analog adds costs, compatibility issues with legacy games, and complicates control. Remember, simple is a driving goal here. Left is left, right it right. Not left is a little left, then a bit more left, then suddenly LOT'S of left, then ... where's my character going!?

That said, we're still in the development stages, so we'll be testing lot's of controller options as we move forward. But for the type of games we'll be doing, the multi-directional digital disc should be more than adequate. After all, we won't be doing any dual-stick 3D world navigation.

But since you always have insightful posts and comments here, Mr. Me (especially when it comes to the amazing podcast that I sadly haven't had enough free time to get back to lately!)... what do you feel would be the advantages of a full analog disc?

Compatibility is not an issue. Intellivision usb adapters already convert the disc to an analog control and jzintv converts it back to 16 directions.

The Intellivision disc always struck me as a poor man's analog control. More precision means less frustration not more complication, e.g. Vectron, Microsurgeon, soccer, hockey. Games can still be programmed for two, four, or eight directions. An analog control translates to 8dir much better than 16dir to 8dir. The Intellivision disc was originally marketed to replace both joysticks and paddles but 16 points is not enough for an effective rotary control. An analog disc could make for a nice steering control for driving games; much better than any modern game controller, other than an actual steering wheel.

People associate analog thumbsticks with 3d games and dpads with 2d games. I think that's wrong, analog control is great for 2d games. An 8-way control is still best for 8dir games. A 16-way control isn't ideal for anything.

Analog thumbsticks are so common and I thought they could be adapted with the Intellivision disc. I could be wrong, the engineering could be too complicated. Thanks for listening to our ideas even if they don't get implemented.

Edit:

Question for Nurmix.

I'm curious who you guys are talking to regarding Imagic licensing. Can you confirm whether it's Activision, or is it someone else?

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Compatibility is not an issue. Intellivision usb adapters already convert the disc to an analog control and jzintv converts it back to 16 directions.

The Intellivision disc always struck me as a poor man's analog control. More precision means less frustration not more complication, e.g. Vectron, Microsurgeon, soccer, hockey. Games can still be programmed for two, four, or eight directions. An analog control translates to 8dir much better than 16dir to 8dir. The Intellivision disc was originally marketed to replace both joysticks and paddles but 16 points is not enough for an effective rotary control. An analog disc could make for a nice steering control for driving games; much better than any modern game controller, other than an actual steering wheel.

People associate analog thumbsticks with 3d games and dpads with 2d games. I think that's wrong, analog control is great for 2d games. An 8-way control is still best for 8dir games. A 16-way control isn't ideal for anything.

Analog thumbsticks are so common and I thought they could be adapted with the Intellivision disc. I could be wrong, the engineering could be too complicated. Thanks for listening to our ideas even if they don't get implemented.

Although I agree that an analog control would be preferable for modern games than just 16 directions, I still feel that a 16-direction disc has a greater potential that what some expect.

I think mapping 16 discrete directions to 4 or 8 would be a lot more effective than from an analog signal -- and some games have proven that simple input heuristics can compensate for player intent. Why do you think analog would map much better?

True, for a rotary control in place of a "paddle," 16-directions are hardly enough to compete with the range of even the classic voltage potentiometer, and the wider range of an analog signal can aid in more precise movement. However, I think that for extracting discrete values, a discrete signal is easier to map.

-dZ.