IGNORED

Gyruss for Intellivision?

I'm still on the fence but I am seriously considering that now is the time to bow out of being a completionist for homebrews.

It's been on my mind for over a year now and maybe Gyruss is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Over the years, I've bought every homebrew I could get my hands on, including paying for a few games I knew I wouldn't enjoy whose only purpose was to go into a protective sleeve on my shelf.

This isn't a money thing or that too many games are being published (i.e. not going to go Eric7100 on you guys). I think I'm going to switch to cherry picking what games to buy.

• Like 4

I'm still on the fence but I am seriously considering that now is the time to bow out of being a completionist for homebrews.

It's been on my mind for over a year now and maybe Gyruss is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Over the years, I've bought every homebrew I could get my hands on, including paying for a few games I knew I wouldn't enjoy whose only purpose was to go into a protective sleeve on my shelf.

This isn't a money thing or that too many games are being published (i.e. not going to go Eric7100 on you guys). I think I'm going to switch to cherry picking what games to buy.

Well there's nothing wrong with being either kind of collector and I hope I didn't inadvertently paint completionists as bad or misguided. You should follow your own will and collect and play what and how you feel is best for you.

For myself, I am actually a hybrid completionist/collector/gamer depending on which part of the hobby we're discussing.

I collect the 125 as a completionist. I am within 2 games of having the entire original set and a few pieces away from that including every piece/part/paperwork that came with the first run of every release.

I collect homebrews mainly to play but will pick up ones just to own even if they don't appeal to me as games. I let my homebrew collection happen organically and do not worry about something being "missing" from it but I'm also not above adding a game just as a collection piece if the deal is right.

Ultimately I am a gamer. I got back into Intellivision because I missed playing it and I actually do play at least a couple times a week on original hardware.

There's no wrong reason to be into this hobby. While I believe games are meant to be played it does not bother me if someone is past that and just likes having these items up on a shelf as a memento of their childhood. Or even if they just think it looks cool. No one needs to justify their collection to anyone else.

• Like 3

Does this count as a homebrew? I mean, when something is widely regarded as an unauthorized mish mash of someone elses work.. I'm not sure that constitutes a legitimate product.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for homebrew. I strongly suspect some of my games were bought to support homebrew and collect new games. At times that little bit extra helped me make a second run. Or, purchase equipment like a 3D printer which let me support friends in their homebrew products. Your openness has exponential benefits.

Since the collectors will have the first crack at any sale I don't see how some outsider would be able to accomplish that. We here knew about this game before it was even completed. There is no avenue for an outside speculator to pull off such a maneuver. Those who choose not to buy direct from the seller to begin with are highly unlikely to turn around and pay a massive mark up later.

So? It's a video game not food and water. No one has to have a video game. This is like complaining about driving a Ford because one can't afford a Ferrari. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, then don't. If you want to hold out for a better deal, do so. But no one owes us equal access to a product they create. Let them price themselves out of the common market if they like. Either they can sustain such a business model or they can't. Either way I'll be happy buying from Rev and other more reasonable publishers.

There was a listing for Spiker on eBay for months asking for $5000 and yet the last 3 copies to go to auction all went for less than $1000. Setting a high price point does not make everything else more valuable. The market, meaning the collectors, sets the value. Sure someone can try to get $200 for a new offering but with folks like IntelligentRevolution and Elektronite offering product at or less than $80 I don't see that lasting very long. Now if it makes larger dents in the pockets of a few completionists then so be it. That's their problem. I have no issue with their approach to the hobby but market doesn't exist to cater to them or to any of us really.

Speculators read atariage, and there are homebrews right now that are worth well over $200. Copying code aside, are there a hundred collectors and speculators willing to pay US$177 for a quality cartridge of limited quantity. Like the1hatman says, ultimately the buyers determine the price not the seller.

Does this count as a homebrew? I mean, when something is widely regarded as an unauthorized mish mash of someone elses work.. I'm not sure that constitutes a legitimate product.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for homebrew. I strongly suspect some of my games were bought to support homebrew and collect new games. At times that little bit extra helped me make a second run. Or, purchase equipment like a 3D printer which let me support friends in their homebrew products. Your openness has exponential benefits.

There are already examples of cartridges with unauthorised code that are collected as homebrews. And to be a legitimate homebrew you don't need a box or even a plastic cartridge. You just need a quality game for people to play. Edited by mr_me

ultimately the buyers determine the price not the seller.

This mantra is getting old very fast (heard also in the Atari threads) and is a poor excuse, akin to circular reasoning. The fact that somebody is willing to allow themselves to be gouged does not mean it is a normal state of affairs or that it should not be criticized and opposed.

• Like 1

I have been able to keep up to this point and felt pretty fortunate in doing so,but I think this pretty much mirrors what my thought process is heading forward.

Time for me to pick and choose, and buy and keep only the games I will actually enjoy playing.

There is actually some mental pressure in trying to keep up,and the pricing on this one is ridiculous as well!

• Like 1

Speculators read atariage, and there are homebrews right now that are worth well over $200. Copying code aside, are there a hundred collectors and speculators willing to pay US$177 for a quality cartridge of limited quantity. Like the1hatman says, ultimately the buyers determine the price not the seller.

There are already examples of cartridges with unauthorised code that are collected as homebrews. And to be a legitimate homebrew you don't need a box or even a plastic cartridge. You just need a quality game for people to play.

I agree in general but does this one here count? I thought it was found to be using someone elses code. Maybe I'm posting in the wrong thread?

How things have been progressing over the last few years ,

In the Homebrew Scene (all aspect of products)this was bound to happen for most collectors/gamers.

Something I have been mentioning for the last few years.

But picking and choosing is a good thing. It Will keep quality of games/products high.

Hopefully more demos of games will used for sale purchases

Today I got notice of presale for two games.

Now unless I get to try or really think the game will be a quality fun game.

Presale purchasing will not happen for me.

I agree in general but does this one here count? I thought it was found to be using someone elses code. Maybe I'm posting in the wrong thread?

Originally this game was using someone else's code. They say it has been rewritten with all new code. Some don't believe them, others don't care if it has new code.

This mantra is getting old very fast (heard also in the Atari threads) and is a poor excuse, akin to circular reasoning. The fact that somebody is willing to allow themselves to be gouged does not mean it is a normal state of affairs or that it should not be criticized and opposed.

It probably should be criticized and opposed. There are also complaints about speculators that flip these things on ebay, that the creators aren't seeing any of that money. Higher prices will discourage speculators. Larger quantities will also discourage speculators, but it's hard to tell someone to put up more money to make more. Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

Speculators buying out limited runs and then flipping them for profit definitely are a problem, but I'm not sure setting Shkreli-level prices is the answer. Plus, in this and possibly other cases it just seems like pure opportunism, with shady origins to boot.

Edited by youxia
  • Like 1

I should also clarify that, although I am appreciative of people who buy new games, I don't expect them to pay an arm+leg. My boxed games are published my others who are better at that sort of thing. When I self publish it's either cart only or inexpensive packaging. Plus, most of my games have early versions in ROM form. Kinda try before you buy. I hope to continue that with my Inty games.

• Like 1

Well there's nothing wrong with being either kind of collector and I hope I didn't inadvertently paint completionists as bad or misguided. You should follow your own will and collect and play what and how you feel is best for you.

Don't worry, my post was independent of yours. I've already been debating this in my head for a while.

• Like 1

Inside the box we put in an animated hallmark card that flashes different colors and a liability note at the bottom that they aren't responsible for any damages. ;)

Include two AA batteries with it just because. Make it a bullet point on the back of the box lol.

If you've got batteries in there, you'll have to open it, too.

Even if it doesn't, if the scam worked it still would damage the community. There's really no spin on this one, I'm fairly certain this guy knew what he was doing.

If you've got batteries in there, you'll have to open it, too.

Features on the back of the box:

1. Two(2) AA Batteries

2. Blinking Dot liability auto-agreement so we can't be sued for seizures

3. Free upgrade path to Premium, get two blinking dots, PLUS one blinking square for $399

5. No returns allowed, for your protection.

6. Satisfaction is a failure of the game designer

7. Free napkin included for your tears of... uh, joy!

Edited by Bubsy3000
  • Like 1

If he's "writing all new code" why not just write a new game? Why make it the same game that caused all the problems? If he'd written Galaxian and was selling for $80 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If they already have boxes and labels and such with Gyruss plastered all over them, it's likely they don't want to toss those materials out. Did anybody ever explain just why the price is so high?

But Galaxian also may not be a very wise choice in this circumstance.

It's not a mantra, it's reality. No one is saying it shouldn't be criticized. We are saying that the way to oppose this is to vote with your wallet. Don't buy new games with a ridiculous price tag and the costs will stay reasonable. At the same time it doesn't matter what the initial offering is if the collectors are willing to pay it. We are the ones who need criticizing if we allow the market to spirial out of control.

It's also not something I see happening anytime soon. Reputable publishers are not going to attempt this kind of cash grab as it creates an unsustainable business model for them. Just look at the 2 new CollectorVision offerings for under $70 announced today. This is a non-issue for the community in general so let a few out of touch programmers attempt some crazy price hike. It won't change us as a market.