IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

Então aqui está o lançamento da RetroN 77 Community Build Image. Esta é uma imagem de substituição de firmware para o RetroN 77 destinada a ser escrita (usando uma ferramenta apropriada, não incluída) em um cartão microSD a ser usado com o Retron 77.

O que faz:

Traz uma atualização de qualidade bastante grande para os usuários do Retron 77, especialmente aqueles que pretendem executar ROMs a partir do cartão microSD.

O que não faz:

Corrigir qualquer problema de controlador, dumping ou compatibilidade existente (além daqueles corrigidos trazendo a versão do Stella sendo usada para 3.9.3)

O que isso parece:

KulQ0E.png

Onde obtê-lo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w352be743uah97y/sdcard.remo.20180801-2122CB.zip?dl=0 Se você não estiver familiarizado com o Dropbox, procure no canto superior direito a lista suspensa Download e selecione Download direto para baixe o pacote de imagens zip.

Como usá-lo:

Leia o README.rtf incluído - ele contém informações importantes que você deve saber.

Como mencionado, a imagem incluída (sdcard.remo.20180801-2122CB.img) deve ser escrita (como uma imagem) diretamente no seu cartão microSD - isso não significa copiar a imagem como um arquivo para o cartão , isso significa usar uma ferramenta de imagem como USB Image Tool ou Win32 Disk Imager ou Etcher

Aconselha-se precaução aqui, se você não sabe o que está fazendo, pode acabar eliminando o seu sistema de computadores (ou outros) drives. NÃO FAÇA ISSO . Peça ajuda a alguém se você não tiver certeza do que está fazendo.

Uma vez que a imagem esteja adequadamente no microSD, inicialize o RetroN 77 e você notará imediatamente a diferença. O RetroN 77 não será mais inicializado na interface do usuário Hyperkin, mas será inicializado diretamente no Stella.

Em Stella, você pode navegar pelas suas roms usando a interface de usuário do Launcher / ROM do Stella. Isso significa que você está livre para usar subdiretórios e ter uma experiência de gerenciamento / seleção muito melhor. Eu mudei as ligações para permitir page up / down com o joystick aqui também. Pressionando Fry aqui, você moverá um diretório para cima.
Pressionar o botão Fry enquanto uma rom estiver em execução fará com que Stella saia para a interface de usuário de seleção de lançador / rom - agora você pode jogar várias ROMs sem ter que ligar e desligar fisicamente a coisa. Conectar um carrinho para executá-lo funciona normalmente. Pressionar o botão Fry enquanto você estiver usando um carrinho sairá para a interface de usuário do lançador / rom da Stella. Inserir / remover um carrinho reiniciará o Stella.
Alguns agradecimentos muito importantes:

Um agradecimento verdadeiramente enorme a stephena por gentilmente me emprestar seu tempo para que eu fosse capaz de alcançar meus objetivos iniciais sem invadir Stella em si, e então por tomar ainda mais tempo para fazer as maravilhosas mudanças específicas de Stella na filial da stella3-r77. esta construção. O que você vê quando utiliza esta imagem simplesmente não teria sido possível sem seu talento e generosidade. E claro que isso inclui graças a ele como sempre pela própria Stella:)

Agradecimentos a Thomas Jentzsch por seus testes, opiniões, discussões e gentileza dando permissão para incluir seus incríveis títulos nessa distribuição (yay!) :D, E ao Atari Pixel por seu trabalho e por ser um grande parceiro neste projeto. Agradecimentos adicionais aos colegas membros do AA, Sneakyturtleegg, gorfcadet, iesposta, ColecoJoe, para testes de imagem e feedback.

Observe que esta imagem vem sem garantias expressas ou implícitas e não é suportada por ninguém. Isso significa que você está usando essa imagem inteiramente por sua conta e risco e aceita plenamente essa responsabilidade.

Good evening, is this new SD card image working with the other controls besides the joysticks? Paddle, driving paddle, etc ...

Edited by Sandro Butcher

It supports joystick and paddle in the same way (and with the same limitations) as the Hyperkin image and the Hyperkin UI.

It does support Paddle, however what was giving us trouble is a few things.

I thought it just detected them when you switched or plugged them in. Doesn't work like that.

Turns out the game list has to show "Controller: Paddles" at the bottom right window.

I have RAM Pong and that says Paddles, and Paddles work.

However, the games that Thomas provided - one of those is Kaboom! with "more random". The controller listed at the bottom is Joystick and Paddles do not work.

That's why I and the previous poster asked if Paddles were working.

Using Paddles with some paddle games will fail if Stella has the controller type set for Joystick.

Real cartridge Night Driver will launch and Paddles work fine there.

If you create a file named 'stella.pro' with the properties for this ROM and drop it in the 'stella' directory, it should pick it up and use it. The easiest way to create this file is to run Stella (even the latest version is fine) on a PC with the applicable ROM, and do it through "ROM Properties" dialog.

Note that I haven't tested using an external properties database on the R77, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

• Like 1

If you create a file named 'stella.pro' with the properties for this ROM and drop it in the 'stella' directory, it should pick it up and use it. The easiest way to create this file is to run Stella (even the latest version is fine) on a PC with the applicable ROM, and do it through "ROM Properties" dialog.

Note that I haven't tested using an external properties database on the R77, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

The fact is, this should not be necessary imo. It wasn't necessesary in 1977 for the console to have a database of "paddle compatible games", and it should not be necessary for a modern clone using 2018 tech. If the Retron controller reader can be updated to provide discrete inputs to the emulator for ALL pins on the controller port, this would be a non-issue. The downside is that modifying the controller port reader (if possible) might break compatibility with official firmware because Stella would be receiving an alternate set of inputs. And Genesis controllers would actually function (including homebrew games which read them), even if the console still couldn't read matrixed controllers like the keypad.

Perhaps the UI can be updated to toggle the controller type on game ROMs by hitting the select key. It would be simple to add and not require a "Stella.pro" configuration file for every paddle compatible Rom variant, hack, or homebrew not in the paddle database.

• Like 1

I've mentioned this before and I guess I'll say it again; what should be and what is are two different things. Someone asked for help on something, and I suggested a possible fix/workaround. I didn't design the hardware the way it is, nor can be expected to fix it.

To be clear, the best approach has already been suggested in another thread; the port hardware should detect what type of input it's receiving, and just pass that info to Stella. Or the GPIO pins should be somehow connected directly to Stella in code, so it can read as appropriate.

I cannot fix what I did not design. And TBH, I'm kind of getting tired of having to take responsibility for a product that is (a) out of my control, and (b) based on a version of Stella that 6+ years out of date. So I won't be working on it any longer.

• Like 11

That's why I and the previous poster asked if Paddles were working.

Using Paddles with some paddle games will fail if Stella has the controller type set for Joystick.

Ah, I see now. It should work if the controllers say paddle.

Yes that does work with the R77, I included one that had additions for the games Thomas Jentzsch gave his permission to include with the image.

For anyone wishing to make further additions - that file is end user accessible on the image and can be modified with data exactly as stephena just mentioned.

• Like 2

I realize my response above is a little defensive. If so, I apologize. But what many people don't realize is that for every comment here on AtariAge asking about why Stella isn't better supported, I'm getting 3-4 through PM asking the same thing, and sometimes not as nice as the people here.

The requests are getting somewhat aggressive. I've even had a few bozos saying that I should concentrate on Stella 3 development rather than 5.x/6.0, since that's what's in a commercially released product. What they don't realize is that I don't maintain Stella on this device, I don't get paid for it at all, and I don't even have contact with Hyperkin. I understand that some people are upset with their purchase; honestly, in some aspects I agree with them. But it is not my problem, and really not something that I can fix. YMMV, but it's likely I can't do much about the issues you're having. I can only make suggestions on how to improve (slightly) the situation we are in, not the one we should be in.

• Like 14

Yes that does work with the R77, I included one that had additions for the games Thomas Jentzsch gave his permission to include with the image.

If I had known about that ROM, I could have created an entry for it as part of the app, and you wouldn't need to use the external properties file at all. Perhaps that can be done for a future release.

I agree that this isn't the best approach overall, but for now it's the best that can be done with the hardware/software in the state that it is.

• Like 1

I wonder if someone could ask Stephena the billable time it would take to make a "Community Build" with requested features. Then Kickstart the funding for its development.

Everyone wins. Hardware is already built and in production.

UPDATE: To be clear Stephena just does the billable work - not running the Kickstarter :)

• Like 1

I wonder if someone could ask Stephena the billable time it would take to make a "Community Build" with requested features. Then Kickstart the funding for its development.

Everyone wins. Hardware is already built and in production.

UPDATE: To be clear Stephena just does the billable work - not running the Kickstarter :)

What you do not understand is, that most (if not all) of us Atari 2600 developers are doing this for fun and for the community, not for money (that's only part of the feedback which encourages us to carry on).

The amount of money you would have to generate to change our mind is most likely obscene. :)

• Like 8

What you do not understand is, that most (if not all) of us Atari 2600 developers are doing this for fun and for the community, not for money (that's only part of the feedback which encourages us to carry on).

The amount of money you would have to generate to change our mind is most likely obscene. :)

Sounds like Stephena is getting hounded by people who want free changes and are demanding about it. People don't realize this is a career and a passion. If they don't understand the passion part at least the money part is something tangible they can appreciate.

As a 2600 developer I've done commissions, self published titles, collaborated and worked for free. Sometimes half a year for a handful of billable hours (compared to normal software dev). So, yeah. I feel the pain too :) If money was the only factor nobody would do this.

How do we encourage an optimal solution for everyone involved and keep it fun?

I like how you phrased that. Let me suggest the first step would be to find out what Hyperkin's plans are. Maybe they are working late nights improving this thing and the community doesn't need to do anything further. Would be a shame for someone to spend a lot of time and then have Hyperkin release an official version of approx. the same thing.

I have to say, I really appreciate the work the community has done so far. I just think this is a really good time to hear from Hyperkin.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 2

I've mentioned this before and I guess I'll say it again; what should be and what is are two different things. Someone asked for help on something, and I suggested a possible fix/workaround. I didn't design the hardware the way it is, nor can be expected to fix it.

Indeed. Hyperkin had to go and rush and release an unfinished product on 7/7. Because marketing! Or because laziness or lack of knowledge. And then there is the 2006-2008 phone hardware. This isn't 2018 tech.

I cannot fix what I did not design. And TBH, I'm kind of getting tired of having to take responsibility for a product that is (a) out of my control, and (b) based on a version of Stella that 6+ years out of date. So I won't be working on it any longer.

Nor should you. This is the best course of action. Furthermore, "community this" and "community that" aside, we shouldn't be patching and fixing their product. It only encourages MORE unfinished products to hit the market.

Hiding behind "community" is such a farce and demonstrates laziness - of which we have enough of in this world.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

I realize my response above is a little defensive. If so, I apologize. But what many people don't realize is that for every comment here on AtariAge asking about why Stella isn't better supported, I'm getting 3-4 through PM asking the same thing, and sometimes not as nice as the people here.

Just tell then to STFU and send'em to Hyperkin.

The requests are getting somewhat aggressive. I've even had a few bozos saying that I should concentrate on Stella 3 development rather than 5.x/6.0, since that's what's in a commercially released product. What they don't realize is that I don't maintain Stella on this device, I don't get paid for it at all, and I don't even have contact with Hyperkin. I understand that some people are upset with their purchase; honestly, in some aspects I agree with them. But it is not my problem, and really not something that I can fix. YMMV, but it's likely I can't do much about the issues you're having. I can only make suggestions on how to improve (slightly) the situation we are in, not the one we should be in.

Nor should you. People really do need to grow up and learn to speak with their wallet. They fell for the marketing spiel, let them contact Hyperkin about it.

---

If it's one thing I utterly despise with more than a passion is doing work for someone else and letting them profit from it while they take all the credit for it. Then, somehow, excuses get made for why something isn't as it should be.

This Retron77 has a cartridge slot, and by all rights and means, implications and expectations, it should accept and play what you put in the slot. You are led to believe that. I don't believe the box says the play rate/compatibility is 60%-ish and that not all controllers work correctly either.

I really don't give a flying-fuck to hear excuses why this game won't work, or that game won't work. It isn't working. The product is defective/unfinished. Period.

On the other hand. Stand-alone software emulators (as a comparison) often list their known issues and it is well understood they are a work-in-progress. It is also stated and understood there are some inaccuracies in comparison to the original hardware. So, they can easily be forgiven if a one certain game doesn't work correctly.

Or take a cellphone. It is designed to make calls. Pick it up, dial a number, the call is made. The device serves its purpose.