IGNORED

HSC15 Round 16: Hi-Res Games II - The September Tourney

It would be interesting for people to list the games in their order of preference once they've play most of them.

I haven't played all of them yet but for now this is my list

1. Hard Hat Mack - Level 9

2. Jaw Breaker - 32380

3. Threshold - 41100
4. Marauder - 86600

5. Choplifter - 47

6. Galatic Patrol - 3650

Not played yet:

Lunar Leeper

Night Mission Pinball
Kult
Inter Galleon Battle
Malpass the Asteroid Mines

Edited by McKong
  • Like 2

Interesting question. I believe my ranking, irregardless of which scores I managed on each game, would be like this:

1. Kult
2. Threshold
3. Malpass the Asteroid Mines
4. Marauder
5. Lunar Leeper
6. Jawbreaker 1
7. Choplifter
8. Night Mission Pinball
9. Hard Hat Mack
10. Inter Galleon Battle
11. Galactic Patrol
  • Like 2

Good Idea, Lunar Leeper is a favourite, a great game once you figure out how to play, progressive difficulty too. Press Space on title screen to view High Score Table. If anyone's version has a higher top score than this one please post it ;)

43,680 got to level 3 :)

post-19705-0-62627700-1536772546.jpg

• Like 1

1. Threshold - infuriatingly addictive, genius design
2. Marauder - love it, went over 100k yesterday, things get pretty mad later
3. Malpass the Asteroid Mines - Defender4lyfe

4. Lunar Leeper - bizzare and devious

5. Choplifter - B/W gfx is so cute, fastest Choplifter ever

6. Inter Galleon Battle - quite amusing

7. Hard Hat Mack - fave at first, bit cooler now

8. Kult - would be higher if the ship didn't steer like a concrete piano

9. Galactic Patrol - not sure how to play it yet

10. Jawbreaker 1 - I actually don't like PacMan or its clones, FITE ME!
Night Mission Pinball - not played yet
  • Like 1

2. Threshold - 75900

3. Jaw Breaker - 32380

4. Marauder - 86600

5. Kult - 5896

6. Choplifter - 55

7. Malpass the Asteroid mines - 36280

8. Night Mission Pinball - 237810

9. Inter Galleon Battle - 3500 (crashed on my machine after 2nd round)

10. Galatic Patrol - 3650

Not played yet:

Lunar Leeper

Edited by McKong

Malpass Pro - 87,240

I'm addicted to Pro now, it's great. Figured out a tactic: concentrate more on survival than saving the mines: they respawn every round. You get extra lifes later on: I think after 40 and 80k. Later rounds have some crazy stuff like force fields appearing. Great game, it's like a Defender pre-school :D

IMG_20180913_164040.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like each one of you has found a favourite game already, plenty of time left for the round to run. I'll post something on the main forum to see if anyone else wants to come out and play :D

The updated tables are on Post #2; all points are real HSC points so fill your pixellated boots :)

Please do not edit scores in posts before this one!

please post your scores in alphabetical order this will make it easier for me, ideally highlight improvements or errors in the scores in bold if you can :cool:

[edit] I've asked Fandal to see if he has time/the will to make Lunar Leeper not need the translator and for IGB to work on mydos/mypicodos menu - anyone tried it on a DOS 2/2.5 menu yet?

post-19705-0-25079300-1537132534.jpg

Lunar Leeper 81,580 - managed to get to the start of the fourth level but as I was a nervous wreck from level 3 I got splatted before I had regained my senses :-o One intense game you can go for it or lure the leepers into action or a combination of both. If they are too near a guy on the ground wait the other side of the leeper to lure it away.

post-19705-0-74632200-1537132541.jpg

Night Mission Pinball 325,840 - scraped together some more quarters for tonights session, got the 25k to light up but didn't collect it, still not activated the gizzmo - I know I have done it once before... in a galaxy far away :-D

• Like 2

Some insane scores start coming in (93K Threshold? oh my...) and there's still 2 weeks to go :-o

For today I can only offer a (lame) translation of Kult's intro story. Seeing as it is most likely to be the only HSC game ever which was cracked/written in the town I'm currently in, I thought I'll celebrate this fact in a lyrical fashion. I'm sure y'all have been wondering what possibly motivated the heli's pilot to embark on this perilious mission of flying over randomly scattered monuments and shooting aliens arranged in abstractly wavy patterns. You have...haven't you?

One of Earth's mightiest brains had been experimenting with ways of artificially creating organic mass. He managed to come up with a very effective way to produce it.

In a very short time, all the Institute's storage tanks were filled with the amorphous goo. Due to a malfunction of the atomic reactor, the goo came alive. Terrible monsters formed out of it.

The fall has started. Humanity did not have much time. In the last desperate attempt, an advanced attack helicopter was built and armed. Unfortunately, there was no time for test flights.

For the mission of destroying the monsters they chose the best pilot, well trained, with awesome reflexes. They chose you.

You now have a chance to save the humanity and gain immortal glory. So take the joystick in your steady hand, remember the mission's gravity and go forth and destroy the monsters.

You embark on a mission to destroy fruits of the cult of science. Cult, which turned on its believers.

Now you know the gripping backstory, are pumped up and motivated, "go forth" and break those HScores :D

• Like 3

thanks for that info on Kult youxia :thumbsup:

I'm going to spend a lot more time on Kult before the round ends :)

Getting harder to improve already, failed on Chiplofter and Jawbreaker but HHM after a lot of goes reached level 5. I was glad I persevered from the start each time but if players are really stuck you can press 1-3 then start to start on a level to get some practice. I was glad to see 2 baddies on level 4 and things seemed quicker on the 2nd board? - did it have anything different on the 3rd+ play ?

Edited by therealbountybob

Good news Fandal has kindly fixed Lunar Leeper for XL/XE ATR posted on 1st post :thumbsup:

Bad news Inter Galleon Battle - I've tried fandal, atarionline.pl and homesoft versions all seem to lock on 3500points at the start of level 3, no idea how I once playing it further. If anyone can find a working version or perhaps the BASIC listing for the game then we will count it otherwise it's not going to feature in the tables :thumbsdown:

2. Threshold - 75900

3. Jaw Breaker - 32380

4. Marauder - 90100

5. Choplifter - 57

6. Kult - 5896

7. Malpass the Asteroid mines - 36280

8. Night Mission Pinball - 237810

9. Inter Galleon Battle - 8400

10. Galatic Patrol - 3650

Not played yet:

Lunar Leeper

Edited by McKong

As I posted before, I reached 13800 pts on IGB playing it on my NTSC 800, though eventually it froze on that one too. Perhaps it requires a very special configuration, though Deteacher got 35K whether that was one lucky shot or he found the magic settings in Altirra to make it run properly.

Failed to improve on Lunar Leeper

Failed on Choplifter - you can't be shot by the tanks if you are hovering above them?!! Had fun trying things out to see if you could bomb the guys you've just dropped off, and lots of air combat!

Failed on Threshold but got close with 61,300

Kult minor improvement to 39.878 I want to like the game but it's just too frustrating - Zybex is much more fun.

Had better luck on Marauder 94,000 :)

The latest Tables on post #2 have deteacher tied with trbb for first place :P

We'll leave IGB in for now then and hope everyone can at least get one good go in from it - try a cold/clean boot and also someone please try it on a DOS2 disk ;)

• Like 1

Kult - 46,468

Malpass Inter - 75,250

Marauder - 123,700

Threshold - 65,100

Choplifter - 32

IGB - 28,800

I vote to give IGB a chance, once it works it works...and it's a pretty good game actually. Did a decent score on Leeper and it crashed :/ Jawbreaker drives me mad.... why do these pac man things always have to keep going? :D

How do you do these little thumbnails?

IMG_20180917_163911.jpg
IMG_20180918_153726.jpg
2018-09-21_21.19.12.jpg

IMG_20180917_161822.jpg

IMG_20180915_213348.jpg

IMG_20180921_210136.jpg

• Like 1

Played the fixed version of lunar leeper but it crashed on me after the 2nd level

2. Threshold - 75900
3. Jaw Breaker - 37800
4. Marauder - 120100
5. Choplifter - 57

6. Lunar Leeper - 10k+
7. Kult - 30908
8. Malpass the Asteroid mines (I) - 36280 (P) - 25080
9. Night Mission Pinball - 237810
10. Inter Galleon Battle - 8400
11. Galatic Patrol - 3650

Edited by McKong