IGNORED

Ambidextrous controllers: Index finger where?

tripletopper

11 members have voted

1. 1. Where does the index fingers belong ergonomically on ambidextrous pre-crash controllers?

• Bottom/Back button (Atari 5200 style)
    • Top/front (Intellivision style)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Me and Mr_Me had a little difference of opinon.

I thought the Intellivision was awkward for having the thumb on the bottom button and the index finger on the top (assuming both front/top buttons and back/bottom buttons are mirrored, which is not the case for INTV.)

He said he would like the right fire on top and left fire on bottom, I though a) he plays d-pad right, and b) prefers the 5200 setup over the conventional INTV setup.

I think I might have been wrong on both accounts. He admits he prefers the Thumb below setup> Being Left-d-pad follows from that fact.

Which got me thinking, who designed their controller right, Intellivision with the thumb on the lower/back button, or the 5200 with the thumb on the top/front button> This is with the index finger on the other side.

Only consider this aspect of ambidextrous joystick design. Don't consider what the intended functions are currently and separately. Also assume games with a more obvious left and right action compared to main and aux action can be defined by pressing one button to hit a target on the right, thus defining the right fire button in Tutankham and setting left as the other. Also assume the 5200 case, where both front/tops are mirrored sideways, and both backs/bottoms are mirrored sideways.

Personally, I'm a 5200 ergonomics guy, and this is coming from someone who grew up with a Colecovision and no other system until the NES.

With Intellivision:

Some people use the top side button with their index finger, bottom side with their middle finger.

Others pinch the top and bottom side buttons with their thumb.

Surprisingly, some use the claw grip, thumb on one side and finger on the other. A couple of intellivision games force you to do this whether you like it or not.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I know between the INTV, the 5200, the Colecovision, the 7800, and the Arcadia 2001, many controls used the "claw grip", and Most required you to use your index finger and thumb. If the INTV used a 3-button setup, you need a thumb, a middle finger, and an index finger.

Sometimes the Intellivision has a "symmetric 2-button" setup, it makes it the same as the 5200. In which it depends on how you hold it.

Assuming rapid firing is easier with a index finger compared to a thumb, then If the index finger is above the thumb, meaning you bend the thumb towards the palm, then the top button is your main button. That's the INTV setup.

If the index finger is below the thumb, meaning you stretch your thumb away from your palm, then the bottom button is the main button. That's the 5200 setup.

The main question is in claw formation, assuming 2 symmetric buttons, where does it ergonomically make more sense to put your main button: upper like INTV, or lower like 5200?

• 2 weeks later...

I use middle finger on the side buttons from around underneath controller with thumb near the start/pause/reset buttons, with index near the cable as a backup for long games.

Zylon, do you use your middle finger on both the bottom and top button? The thumb is being used on Start/Reset/Pause?! Well, I use the finger typing method for and NES control Pad. So I shouldn’t complain about unusual joystick techniques. ;)

Zylon, do you use your middle finger on both the bottom and top button? The thumb is being used on Start/Reset/Pause?! Well, I use the finger typing method for and NES control Pad. So I shouldn’t complain about unusual joystick techniques. ;)

Yes. I use middle finger to push mostly bottom button, but only need roll up slightly to get the top one when needed. I've used very large pliers in my daily work for over 20yrs and controls I can grip the same way work best for me. Basically the same grip I use on a "high tong" style welding rod holder, only uphand vs downhand. I can also play 5200 one-handed in this position because I can put the thumb on top of the stick like on a modern system if needed.

The main point of my question is, the 5200 has a natural lowering of the index finger in the Z axis, hence stacked buttons on the 5200. However, I don’t know if INTV made the right decision making the thumb align with the middle finger along the Y axis. I thought the more natural line-up of the claw grip would be the thumb aligned with the index finger. Hence the poll.

The Emerson has mirrored single buttons on the each side like an INTV. They gave you the choice to thumb or finger the button in either hand.

Colecovision has just 2 asymmetric buttons, but most of the time with a right stick, I was "thumbing" the main button, like an Atari 2600. I think Threshold, Omega Race, and Space Fury had the pump-action thumb for multi shots, and the finger for the alternate function. (Tiring when right-sticking it.) All other pump-firing games THAT I HAD, (Gorf, Zaxxon, Carnival, Venture ) had symmetric fires on the Coleco.

Thankfully the Super Action Controller puts the fire button on your index finger IN EITHER HAND. The Pinnacle of ambidextrous joystick design...

...at least until Beeshu joysticks. But the Beeshu TG16 stick had problems with Side Arms with reverse firing and Pac Land for reverse running. Ttankham would have similar problems assuming index-to-index mapping.