IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

Holy crap. I was just about to post about this game but it seems AtariAge has been talking about it for a while. This looks really great... a 7800 game that looks better than most NES games! Really like that logo, too.

Yeah, this is going to be a HUGE piece of ammo in the next, inevitable NES vs. 7800 thread :D

• Like 5

No quantity limits, no maybes. We'll have 550 copies available for purchase on launch and will manufacture more if there's demand. Ideally the game would be available on the Switch, PlayStation 4, and XBOX One. But whether or not any of these ports happen is highly dependent upon how well the Windows / Steam version does. We've been getting the most requests for the Switch.

I would love a digital Switch release in addition to physical 7800, thank you! :grin: :thumbsup:

Second that!

Box and other print materials are mandatory, sorry. They've been tested with both NTSC and PAL waste receptacles to ensure you can dispose of them regardless of your local garbage standard.

I would love a digital Switch release in addition to physical 7800, thank you! :grin: :thumbsup:

I would too, but as of writing we're several thousand sales short of being able to do a good Switch port of the game.
  • Like 4

Box and other print materials are mandatory, sorry. They've been tested with both NTSC and PAL waste receptacles to ensure you can dispose of them regardless of your local garbage standard.

I would too, but as of writing we're several thousand sales short of being able to do a good Switch port of the game.

If you build it, they will come...

• Like 1

He's just joking. You know, like how a dragon who kidnaps your children is making your life "more inconvenient," rather than committing a rather terrible crime.

Yes, I get the irony.

Some 60hz trash bins are not rated for 50hz duty and will roll or possibly explode if operated out of their operating parameters.

Heaven forbid someone puts lovingly crafted cardboard boxes in the glass bin, or plastic in the aluminum cans bin. My recycled beer bottle tastes like paper... :o

NTSC and PAL waste recepticals? A garbage bin or recycling bin is just a bin.

Also why would collectors do that? To save space? :???:

I do not anymore if I can help it. My boulderdash box was missing for 3 years. I found it in the crawlspace. It is all about the games..

That is why I do not buy lots of new homebrews cause of the boxes.

This release will have to get as it as is too awesome.

• Like 2

Since the "boxless" version keeps getting requested, I think it's time to cut the jokes and be clear.

We're manufacturing these in quantity, upfront. Which means I have (on hand) several hundred boxes, manuals, feelies, etc. which will be shipped out with the product. It's not optional, period. Additionally, the packaging and print materials are the least expensive items in the Atari 7800 version of the game. If we were to remove these items it would save a few dollars, not fifteen.

The cartridge's board, components, and the game on it were not cheap. If we were to only sell one run of these and price them high enough to fund another game you'd be paying at least $299.99 each for the Atari 7800 version. It is in our best interest to do more than one production run of the 7800 version so it can at least pay for itself.

If $59.99 is too high a price, the digital version is $9.99. It doesn't even need a 7800 and just takes up a few megabytes. It was my goal to ship a product that was for both Windows and the Atari 7800, and treat neither as second class.

Again, if you throw these away nobody who worked on the game will be offended. Once you buy a copy it's yours to do what you like with.

• Like 14

It doesn't bother me, Tail. You want it to look more professional and authentic, and I can completely understand. The price is a little steep, but I've seen far worse, like that new ColecoVision game someone else was selling for three times the price. :/

I don't have a 7800 so I'm probably just going to go with Steam on this.

It doesn't bother me, Tail. You want it to look more professional and authentic, and I can completely understand. The price is a little steep, but I've seen far worse, like that new ColecoVision game someone else was selling for three times the price. :/

I don't have a 7800 so I'm probably just going to go with Steam on this.

Thanks, and hey - that's totally fine! I'm really happy with what we were able to do with the Windows / Steam versions of the game.

I was going to save this for Taco Tuesday, but since I'm here let's have some news right now. Software Update v1.0.0.3 / r14 went up on Steam and Humblebundle yesterday and this is the same version we'll be shipping on the Atari 7800 cartridges. Almost there :)

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 2

I'm assuming the price has a lot to do with the custom sound chip. That's really more Atari and GenCom's fault for designing the 7800 with 1977 audio technology. If the system had shipped with an internal POKEY like it probably should have, this wouldn't even be an issue.

I'm wondering if people will ever consider the complaint about TIA in the 7800 to be a long beaten, long dead horse?

At this point, it's kind of like "no shit, sherlock". The other side of it is that this homebrewer made use of GCCs capability to including unique sound hardware in the cartridge and did in a new way.

• Like 3

I'm assuming the price has a lot to do with the custom sound chip. That's really more Atari and GenCom's fault for designing the 7800 with 1977 audio technology. If the system had shipped with an internal POKEY like it probably should have, this wouldn't even be an issue.

I'm going to assume that the sound chip is one of the less expensive parts of this, as it's just an arm chip that's running software.

It adds to the price of games that need better sound than what's available on the stock unit, and makes the games without sound chips less enjoyable. I'd say it very much IS an issue.

I'm saying that if you're going to balk at the sixty dollar price tag for this game, you probably should direct those complaints to the people who made it necessary.

I'm going to assume that the sound chip is one of the less expensive parts of this, as it's just an arm chip that's running software.

The BupChip / Fujitsu FM3 is the most expensive component, but not by much. A bigger contributor is just the quantity of friends it has living nearby. If you're going to put a price tag on the different aspects of Rikki & Vikki, the plastics are right up there with the board. But by far the largest expense is the actual game and its content.

I'm wondering if people will ever consider the complaint about TIA in the 7800 to be a long beaten, long dead horse?

Probably not, while it's been a long running problem - it's still a problem, especially compared to some of its contemporaries. But there's still no way (to my knowledge) to complain fiercely enough to break the time continuum and change the design. GCC was at least considerate enough to include the external audio pin.
  • Like 5

It adds to the price of games that need better sound than what's available on the stock unit, and makes the games without sound chips less enjoyable. I'd say it very much IS an issue.

I'm saying that if you're going to balk at the sixty dollar price tag for this game, you probably should direct those complaints to the people who made it necessary.

That's fair.

Still, I sure do get tired of the endless "they should have included a POKEY in the 7800" diatribes. It's like, "no shit. Old news now though".