IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki

TailChao

I'm assuming the price has a lot to do with the custom sound chip. That's really more Atari and GenCom's fault for designing the 7800 with 1977 audio technology. If the system had shipped with an internal POKEY like it probably should have, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Put a sock in it already. This game has more than just Pokey capability. This cart has what basically amounts to a 16-bit era soundchip in it.

Also the complaints in this thread about boxes are dumb too. I don't get boxes for every homebrew, but the nicer packages are worth it. This is definitely one of the "nicer packages" if not the nicest I've ever seen. :grin: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've been excited for this for a while. I won't be throwing away my box unless my mom travels from the past to throw away my game boxes again.

I can't wait to check out this custom sound chip. I hope this is successful enough to encourage you and others to make more awesome games for the 7800.

• Like 4

I've been excited for this for a while. I won't be throwing away my box unless my mom travels from the past to throw away my game boxes again.

When I was a kid, we had an Atari 1200 XL. My parents threw it away one time when we moved. Congo bongo, dreadnaught factor, zaxxon, pac man... All gone :/

Nope! But I appreciate the irony of an Atari 7800 fan finding MY voice too harsh and annoying.

"I'm tired of listening to you! I'll settle my nerves with the dulcet tones of my favorite game system!"

BONK REEP KLONG BONG WANK WANK PLINK DUUURK

Heyyy the TIA can sound OK. I made a couple short renditions of Rikki and Vikki songs for the tia just as an experiment a while ago.

Sand

Metal

Edited by RushJet1
  • Like 7

When I was a kid, we had an Atari 1200 XL. My parents threw it away one time when we moved. Congo bongo, dreadnaught factor, zaxxon, pac man... All gone :/

The worst is when you here about someone from the original biz who threw out their prototype roms or hardware 20 years ago...gone forever :skull:

• Like 1

Put a sock in it already. This game has more than just Pokey capability. This cart has what basically amounts to a 16-bit era soundchip in it.

Also the complaints in this thread about boxes are dumb too. I don't get boxes for every homebrew, but the nicer packages are worth it. This is definitely one of the "nicer packages" if not the nicest I've ever seen. :grin: :thumbsup:

Wasn't complaining, just asking. I'm also use to boxes being an additional $15 to $20 cost to a homebrew. While the boxes are nice if they cost as much as a cheaper homebrew I would rather get two games. The set up does look nice and I'm digging the orange cart.

• Like 1

Heyyy the TIA can sound OK. I made a couple short renditions of Rikki and Vikki songs for the tia just as an experiment a while ago.

Very impressive! I just listened to both side by side with the BupChip versions and as they are they're stand-out tunes for the TIA, but I'm glad the right combination of BupChip and talent means this game has the terrific soundtrack it deserves.

Wasn't complaining, just asking. I'm also use to boxes being an additional $15 to $20 cost to a homebrew. While the boxes are nice if they cost as much as a cheaper homebrew I would rather get two games. The set up does look nice and I'm digging the orange cart.

Beleive me, I have faced this cunundrum many times in Albert's shop. Do I buy two brand new boxed homebrews for $100 or do I wait 6-7 months and buy 3-4 games for the same price?

Usually I take a middle of the road approach. I'll decide what are the must haves and buy them immediately, then wait a few months to a year until the "wants" go on sale as cart+manual.

For instance in Xmas 2017, I bought Draconian and Super Cobra immediately, then waited until mid summer 2018 to get loose copies of Assembloids and Lunar Lander. :P

I wasn't griping at the cart-only camp (I often buy cart-only when available) but rather griping about the gripers because they had to purchase a box.

This is perhaps one of the best homebrew packages I have ever seen, for any system. We are getting a 16-bit style game in an 8-bit package.

Sand

Metal

This "downmixed" TIA soundtrack is amazing! I almost wish it were selectable as an option, or placed in an easter egg somewhere. Like how Nintendo made "8-bit" remixed tracks of overworld music in Mario Odyssey. Nevermind the faux 8-bit sprites and music had more colors and audio channels than is possible on a stock NES. :P

I am also glad you used an encoder for the arm coprocessor that simulates chiptune music instead of streaming compressed audio recordings like so many games do.

Flash rom is so dirt cheap enough that you could have certainly afforded say 512mb of storage for compressed sound. One reason I dislike 90s era cd games. The soundchips of consoles were part of their signature aesthetic. Ripping all bgm tracks to cd deprived users of this.

One reason I liked Nintendo games. No canned sound. Everything was originally composed for the game, even on later systems, then fully orchestrated soundtracks in the Wii era, starting with Super Mario Galaxy.

Nintendo game scores were treated with the same care as hollywood movies, not "let's license or commission music from some random no-name artist because it fits the mood." So many PS1 and PS2 era games just filled in a bunch of crap from c-list bands, it's painfully hard to stomach now... :razz:

I REALLY want a boxed copy! Pre orders would be a great way to ensure the demand you need is there to produce them at the cost effective $59.99 price point (totally worth it IMHO).

There is no pre orders you just keep your ears on and buy it when it comes out.