IGNORED

Golf (Channel F)

atari2600land

• 2 weeks later...

I found the sheet music to that song in a pamphlet about hickory golf, called The Golf March, credited to a Jean Gilbert with lyrics by "B.W. & Co". However further search online has not yielded any additional information. There was a German operetta composer 1879-1942 who was born as Max Winterfeld but wrote music under the pen name Jean Gilbert, mainly in the time period 1901-1932. I don't know if that could be a red herring. Of course the song could've been written by the same person who did rest of the pamphlet, and just penned in a style as it if used to be an old song, a nice little prank.

Additional information I just dug up:

The Golf March comes out of the collection of Viktor Setterberg (1869-1946), the man who got golf going in Sweden around the turn of the last century. He was a great organiser, writer and a gifted propagandist, full of ideas. He also used music to spread the gospel. He played the lute and wrote golf songs and golf lyrics to the hit tunes of the time. One of them bears the title Golf is the Highest Pleasure and it says that some people prefer riding, football, sailing or tennis ‘...  but that is tame, much too lame. No, give me Golf, that is all I want!’ For the Championship we choose The Golf March. I heard this tune sung by curlers in the 1950s and one player recognised it from some comic opera. Viktor Setterberg says the music is written by Jean Gilbert and the English golf lyrics are by  ‘B.W & Co’.

Edited by carlsson

• 11 months later...
On 8/29/2019 at 11:28 AM, carlsson said:

The Golf March, credited to a Jean Gilbert

After a year of intensive search (not really), I have now learned that this piece of music indeed was composed by Jean Gilbert (1879-1942) as part of the operetta Fräulein Trallala from 1912. The original title was Bummel Marsch, or possibly So Bummeln Wir (i.e. "this is how we party"). It is also known as two-step or intermezzo. The march is also known as Hummelmarsch, possibly someone who mistook B for H. Under the right titles, this song is somewhat well known, though I couldn't find any recordings online, just sheet music at IMSLP.

It is possible that said Viktor Setterberg made up the English lyrics and the pseudonym B.W. & Co to make it seem more credible than he had reused a perhaps 20-30 year old song with his own lyrics.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...