IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

Definitely.  The post directly above yours contains an XEX file.  Download that and play on the real machine to see.

I know with the "original" RMT, that was the case - I wasn't sure with the updates @VinsCool has made if it was pushing it beyond the limits.  Glad to hear some of this, it shows POKEY had far more power than originally thought.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

I know with the "original" RMT, that was the case - I wasn't sure with the updates @VinsCool has made if it was pushing it beyond the limits.  Glad to hear some of this, it shows POKEY had far more power than originally thought.

The .xex is very much exactly what was played back in RMT (WIP fork version currently unreleased) from my video recording, and virtually identical to playing the .xex in Altirra emulator.

This should be almost exactly the same on real hardware, but I have not yet tested this one :)

• Like 1

Alright, just to confirm if all of this was hardware accurate or not, I recorded both Sketch 71s tunes from my Atari 800xl machines :D 

PAL 800xl:

NTSC 800xl:

I think this passed the hardware test with a really good score, doesn't it? :3

• Like 6

1 hour ago, VinsCool said:

I spent too much efforts into this one.
https://youtu.be/MkTAGEsP0Hg 

Unfortunately AA seems to experience issues right now, so I am unable to attach a binary for the time being.

sketch 73, nice sounds. Unfortunately these problems come and go on AA, I just got notified of a message left 7 hours ago... and I was on at that time... hopefully the maintenance crew will sort it out and you will be able to post the examples again,

Finally, I was able to upload that god forsaken Binary file. (after like 6 attempts over 1 hour hjcbdhcbdfhjcbdcjf)

sketch 73 v1.xex

While I'm at it, I've got some cool things brewing...

I won't jinx it too early, but basically, I'm now able to get SAPR dumps from virtually any rate I would want to have.

Dropping the resulting SAPR into RMT2LZSS should then become trivial... :3 

However, I will save this for later, in the RMT thread, it's a very early implementation, however, my proof of concept code is, indeed, functional.

Here's the direct SAP conversion I made using the same Sketch 73 module, dumped from the POC code I made earlier tonight, and that was converted with RMTLZSS directly, from the SAP itself :) 

header test.obx header test.sap header test.lz16

Edited by VinsCool
for fuck's sake Atari Age... Stop being buggy!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hiya! it's been a while :D 

Major 10th chords make great voice choir tones.
The newest Ocarina of Time Triforce% showcase reminded me I made this cover some time ago, but never released it, so here is it.
Cover made with Raster Music Tracker 1.34.00 (just around the corner ;)).

https://youtu.be/cjlFmP9EOdk

Also, go watch this video about the exploit setup, it's great stuff!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBK1sq1BQ2Q 

Unfortunately, I am unable to embed the videos or even attach files for the moment, I've been trying to make this post for like 2 hours now, so I will try to post them tomorrow.

• Like 4

The newest Ocarina of Time Triforce% showcase reminded me I made this cover some time ago, but never released it, so here is it.

Unfortunately, I am unable to embed the videos or even attach files for the moment, I've been trying to make this post for like 2 hours now, so I will try to post them tomorrow.

• Like 3

Vins, this is really cool ;)

I have stupid questions regarding RMT 1.28 though... Do you know how to 'block' this dropdown thing next to MIDI on/off? It describes how many rows to skip in track edit. My problems is, that this thing is changing everytime I put any note. It used to work with no problem, but now I can't turn this thing off. Tried event to remove rmt.ini - no luck. Anyone, anything?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dhor said:

Vins, this is really cool ;)

I have stupid questions regarding RMT 1.28 though... Do you know how to 'block' this dropdown thing next to MIDI on/off? It describes how many rows to skip in track edit. My problems is, that this thing is changing everytime I put any note. It used to work with no problem, but now I can't turn this thing off. Tried event to remove rmt.ini - no luck. Anyone, anything?

Hi dhor, thank you!

Regarding the steps counter bug, this is caused by the way the Numlock key was used by RMT to set that value.

It is however, a bit buggy, and as such, I have removed it entirely since I found a different and more reliable way to edit it.

Solution: using the later RMT versions I have released will have the problem fixed :)

On 7/3/2022 at 12:05 AM, VinsCool said:

Oh hell finally Atari Age is no longer drunk, so here's the binaries from the last post I made!

Temple of Time Final.rmt Temple of Time Final.xex

• Thanks 2

Testing upload.

If it works, the RMT includes some changes by me. 

The filter is removed and the modulation sounds were done by intervall pitch changes.  

I'm still using RMT1.31. But it should work in a newer version as plain waves at 4 channels were used.

Feel free to have a listen :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I didn't realise I haven't posted anything to this thread for so long already...

Anyway, I meant to properly release this one for a while now, but for some reason I didn't bother touching it up until a bit earlier today.

it's more or less the same tune as shown in my previous post (what a coincidence, I didn't even remember it was the last thing I posted here!)

Enjoy, or don't.

NTSC 1xVBI, made with RMT 1.34git-9c006da, SAP-R/LZSS exports are generated much faster since a few revisions ago.

Delightful Spekkio Final.rmt Delightful Spekkio Final.xex 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not really a showcase but a demonstration.
I seem to dedicate my life to taking unnecessary measures just to prove a point, lol 

POKEY Tuned to "A-4 = 440Hz" Sounds Bad

That's it, that's the video, lol

Copied from the video description, which accidentally turned into an essay because of course I cannot shut up:

Comparing: the optimal 444.895778867913Hz vs 440Hz
This demonstration is specifically for the NTSC POKEY.
For the PAL POKEY, tuning a little closer to 441Hz, or specifically, 440.83751645933Hz.
Each ones of the optimal A-4 frequencies will generate the exact same tuning tables, and they will always work for both PAL and NTSC regions.

Why is it bad to use 440Hz for such a limited range of 256 frequencies?
Well, it's a bit complicated to explain, but essentially, the notes must be in harmony between each others as much as possible, else, they will sound out of tune, and just stick out of the bunch for the wrong reasons.

If your ears cannot tell the difference, look over the Registers View, and see how much cents are off between the 2 different tunings.
One of them, 440Hz, is much worse than the other, and this is precisely what contributed to the reputation of the POKEY soundchip being detuned.
The real problem is the interval between notes, not the 440Hz tuning by itself.
As soon as you can stick to the best compromise, the problems become a less noticeable, and this ultimately makes the POKEY chiptune music sound a lot better.

The (de)tuning problems are grossly exaggerated, as shown in this video ;)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MrFish said:

This was precisely the point @analmux was addressing in his RMT modifications. 440 was always convenient (or conformant) rather than optimal.

Much of my stuff was directly inspired by Analmux's researches and experiments, in fact.

I was pretty surprised to find out I've came to a lot of the same conclusions he had shared over 10 years ago, some with almost no attention received for some reason.

His legacy still lives on within the things I am experimenting with, I hope!

• Like 4