IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

It would be nice if @VinsCool did a binary release. git HEAD currently seems broken. It does not build.

Edit: x86 (Debug) seems to build. The other configurations do not. Type errors and pre-compiled headers stuff. I don't see an easy way to git bisect it with Visual Studio so I leave it to VinsCool to fix ;)

Edit2: found it. Fixed builds https://github.com/ivop/RASTER-Music-Tracker/ which will probably soon be merged with VinsCool's master branch.

Edited by ivop
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2023 at 6:42 AM, Heaven/TQA said:

what RMT version we need to use best?

I would like to be cynical and say not the one I have been working on, but 1.34 would be the "best" right now, despite the fact that many improvements came into the codebase later, only to be broken even more because I hastily tried to change too many things at once, gotta learn the hard way I suppose!

On 9/25/2023 at 6:41 PM, ivop said:

It would be nice if @VinsCool did a binary release. git HEAD currently seems broken. It does not build.

Edit: x86 (Debug) seems to build. The other configurations do not. Type errors and pre-compiled headers stuff. I don't see an easy way to git bisect it with Visual Studio so I leave it to VinsCool to fix ;)

Edit2: found it. Fixed builds https://github.com/ivop/RASTER-Music-Tracker/ which will probably soon be merged with VinsCool's master branch.

Thanks for the fix, I honestly had no idea it would not compile, because it did work last time I touched anything related to RMT (back in July).

I'm currently trying to gather the motivation to amend myself and go back to working on the project, and repair all the things I failed to implement properly, so I appreciate any help given!

On 9/27/2023 at 10:40 PM, EnderDude said:

First cover I've done in a while :)
Made in rmt 1.34, besides the lack of vibrato on the lead, this song from the "exciting" gameboy game fits pretty well on the POKEY :D
Fun fact: the original made use of both channel hard panning and master soft panning on the Gameboy, which the latter usually isn't emulated

spot.rmt 3.29 kB · 4 downloads

Very nice, thanks for sharing the module!

13 hours ago, rdefabri said:

Just getting back to playing with RMT after a few years, and I came up with this.  I could tweak it to make it better, but it's pretty close to what I was thinking out of the gate.  I just need to learn a little more "tricks" and I can start doing more complex stuff:

Here is the RMT file for those interested.

Jerkin Back N Forth.rmt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EnderDude said:

I also did tried out making a cover with a dual pokey configuration
It can be difficult to balance the channels compared to one pokey, haha

Time Trax.rmt 8.17 kB · 0 downloads

This is excellent!  I'm really envious of how you and others like @VinsCool and @makary are able to get full sounding tracks with new instrument sounds.  I'm nowhere near the musical talent of many here.  

I tried playing with dual POKEY for an original song I wrote for a rock band.  The song is reminiscent of the Scorpions' "Still Loving You" and Led Zeppelin's "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You".  Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to sound..."right".  So I did the song in 4 voice / single POKEY, which left me looking for one more voice to make it sound fuller.  There are some other tricks I could have leveraged, but I didn't want to mess with it too much.

This is what I ended up with - definitely a different vibe than when I play it on traditional instruments, more of a spooky feel.

Fallen Hard.rmt

Edited by rdefabri
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, rdefabri said:

This is excellent!  I'm really envious of how you and others like @VinsCool and @makary are able to get full sounding tracks with new instrument sounds.  I'm nowhere near the musical talent of many here.  

I tried playing with dual POKEY for an original song I wrote for a rock band.  The song is reminiscent of the Scorpions' "Still Loving You" and Led Zeppelin's "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You".  Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to sound..."right".  So I did the song in 4 voice / single POKEY, which left me looking for one more voice to make it sound fuller.  There are some other tricks I could have leveraged, but I didn't want to mess with it too much.

This is what I ended up with - definitely a different vibe than when I play it on traditional instruments, more of a spooky feel.

Fallen Hard.rmt 3.23 kB · 0 downloads

Kicks hard as hell after 1:09.  I like this, the bass is killer.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 10:59 PM, rdefabri said:

How can I load RMT songs into VUplayer or show with the oscilloscope view(s)?  All my stuff is RMT format, do I need to convert it?

The oscilloscope view is an Altirra feature. System->Configure System->Audio->Audio Scope (and Audio Monitor).

VU Player I don't know. Never used it. I assume it's .xex export of RMT.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2023 at 9:57 AM, VinsCool said:

What if I told you, we've finally come full circle? :D 

There is a lot more coming, let's just say there are now 5 different patches brought back to life, and COULD be switched on the fly now.

People kept reminding to me I broke too much compatibility with my bloated driver patch, so why not just have multiple versions built-in.

Let's then have the enjoyment of listening to all the good tunes without juggling with old .exe hacks anymore :P 

More context from this commit: https://github.com/VinsCool/RASTER-Music-Tracker/commit/c3c267f6b9405dc26b290ef969eb8dee3f5e5ef5

See you later!

Is there an updated RMT file for Instrumentarium?  Seems when I use the "original" in RMT 1.34, I don't get the proper sounding instruments.