IGNORED

Which model 1 lynx is better?

Alexs

I'm going to be buying a new lynx 1 next week, and while browsing I noticed that there are several variations of the 1st model lynx. Namely that the japanese made model is higher priced, has an 8 way directional d-pad and is painted in grey instead of being moulded in grey plastic.

I couldn't however find information about which is better and/or more desirable. Are there any more differences between the taiwanese and Japanese made lynxes? Is the paint chipping an issue that will happen regardless of how well you take care of it? 

Any information is welcome

I think some people's hands have a tendency to have moist or sweaty palms, while others not so much. My hands stay on the dry side and my Japan lynx has no issues with paint chipping. It's also been babied by me, an adult collector/player rather than the rougher handling it would have gotten had I owned it as a kid and taken it everywhere and played it for hundreds of hours. 

I personally prefer the look of the 8 way dpad so that's why I chose mine.  Otherwise the overall difference in experience is pretty minimal I think. 

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyprian_K said:

how to recognize which Lynx I is 4 or 8 way directional d-pad?

This is the first I've heard of it, so I don't actually know. But I found some pictures:

Lynx1_01.jpg

1200px-Atari-Lynx-I-Handheld.jpg

To me it looks like the top one is a more "classic" d-pad, shaped like a plus sign. On the bottom one, the circle at the base of the d-pad looks to be part of the same plastic piece as the "plus" part, and the circle ring around the d-pad is a noticeably different color. I'd guess this is the 8-way one. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

I believe the bottom picture is the 8 way dpad. It registers diagonal movements where as the one without the black ring can't.

Is there any difference in screen quality between the two models, brightness, battery life?

17 hours ago, Alexs said:

I believe the bottom picture is the 8 way dpad. It registers diagonal movements where as the one without the black ring can't.

Is there any difference in screen quality between the two models, brightness, battery life?

where they are built and the plastics of the mould are different there are a few other little bits inside too the 8 ways tend to be silver and painted too. The 3 way just has cost cutting production measures. The Lynx pad afaik is only 4 way, the 8 way pad just makes it slightly easier to press the diagonal activating both directions at the same time. even the model 2 only has 4 way.

my original lynx was a 4 way and i got an 8 later, i never felt disadvantaged or anything.

there's bound to be some comparison teardowns out there somewhere.

In my experience neither of the D-pads are really better, the "8-way" circle pad looks like it could/should be better, but in fact it's a bit clunkyer than the "4-way" classic d-pad. It's probably mostly a matter of what you've gotten used to. I'd say you could compare the classic one to the nes d-pad and the circular one to sega master system d-pads. I also personally prefer the Lynx 2 D-pad, but that one also has its drawbacks in some games since it kicks/clicks back with quite a force.

Many times I've read on this forum that people prefer Lynx II for gaming, but then again the Lynx I looks sliiiightly more crazy and amazing! :D

• Like 1

I ended up purchasing a Japanese model 1, brad from bestelelectronics said that the remaining stock of Taiwanese model 1's had all failed

the last 10 – 12  2nd Gen. new Taiwan made Lynx I’s in stock have all tested bad, so we just stopped selling this weekend)

Q.  A shame I missed out on the Taiwanese model, I have seen that the Japanese 1st gen has issues with paint chipping off

A.  No really Alex.  It looks like the Atari Taiwan made Lynx I’s may have a bug in them, that causes
all of them to end up with color display problems years after they were 1st made.

I'm happy that I was able to get a NOS lynx 1 at the end of the day, even if it was $100 more.

Apparently the japanese ones do have better quality parts in them. I'm waiting for my bennvenn lcd upgrade for my lynx II, so I think I'll leave the lynx I stock

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:27 PM, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Many times I've read on this forum that people prefer Lynx II for gaming, but then again the Lynx I looks sliiiightly more crazy and amazing! :D

The Lynx I does not have ribbon cables for the buttons. So the controls work better and the buttons are more durable in Lynx I.

The Lynx I also has the cart cover which is cool.

The Lynx I speakers are louder than Lynx II. At least on the units I have.

My only complaint is the paint chipping off. Plus that all homebrews do not fit the cart connector. Alpine Games laser sintered cart comes to mind.

The Lynx I does not have ribbon cables for the buttons. So the controls work better and the buttons are more durable in Lynx I.

The Lynx I speakers are louder than Lynx II. At least on the units I have.

I agree that the Lynx I has an overall better quality feel when you look inside (with the nice rounded pcb and all). They probably did cost cutting measures on the Lynx II (as they always do). However the exterior feels like good quality on both Lynx I and II in my opinion. I adore the industrial design on both models ? 

Plus that all homebrews do not fit the cart connector

I had issues with all kinds of homebrew carts on one of my Lynx I's, the cart slot felt too tight, so I just unscrewed both screws ever so slightly on the cart door side and after that all carts started working perfectly. :D