IGNORED

Win a Chuckwagon, Waterworld, & more....

bloatedmonkey

In an effort to kick-start my kid’s college fund, I thought I'd give this a try. This contest is totally free to enter, and it’s for a good cause. Most importantly, you could win this:

rare.jpg

Contest details here or through the Atari link at http://www.bloatedmonkey.com

Good luck!

....and I'd appreciate any comments!

....and I'd appreciate any comments!

Expecting AA members to give some company their credit card details is either suspect or naive, or both.

On a more specific note, I wouldn't at all be suprised if the agreement you made (clicked-through) with the company bars financial inducements to get others to sign up.

Well, I've just Googled for "Upromise" and it does appear that while they skirt close to the line on occasion (SPAM and data mining), they never actually cross it.

However, using it to make any substantial money is probably expecting a bit much. From what I gather from news posts and articles, bloatedmonkey would do better to just eBay the prizes he's offering. The money he'd get from that would probably be equal to two or three years of Upromise -- if it even lasts that long. Meanwhile, he wouldn't have sold his soul (and his contact details) to a marketing company.

From what I gather from news posts and articles, bloatedmonkey would do better to just eBay the prizes he's offering.

That's probably true. I just thought this would be fun and give someone a chance to walk away with some new toys. As it stands now, the people who have signed up have a 50% chance of winning the prize. (Note: the prizes will still be awarded even if I make $1).

As for spamming, I signed on over year ago with an email account that I don't use for anything else. Other than Upromise account updates, I receive no mail to that account. You just have to unclick the spam boxes when you register...unless I'm special or something.

I work for one of the large companies that's registered with this service, and they push it to their employees. I can say with some certainty, that they wouldn't do that if they didn't have faith in the site, both from security and longevity.

Meanwhile, he wouldn't have sold his soul (and his contact details) to a marketing company.

If you have a credit card, then you've already done that!

Finally, to everyone who's still deciding, consider the risk and the reward, and make up your own mind. I'll be happy to answer any questions or concerns.

Just to clear up a couple of the comments, regarding data mining and spamming, this is from the upromise privacy policy:

We respect your privacy. We will not provide your personally identifiable information to third parties (including our contributing companies) for marketing purposes without your permission.

We secure your data. We monitor for intrusion attempts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; deploy encryption technology, firewalls and systems monitoring; and audit our safeguards with the help of leading security firms.

We offer you choices. You may choose whether and to what extent you receive marketing messages from Upromise and our contributing companies. If you do not wish to receive marketing messages, you may opt out at any time. And we offer you choices, so that you receive only those offers that are of interest to you.

If you read the full privacy policy, you'll see that it's similar to credit card companies and the like.

I wouldn't at all be suprised if the agreement you made (clicked-through) with the company bars financial inducements to get others to sign up.

I rechecked the member agreement, and could find nothing to this effect, nor anything that suggests that this contest can not be run.

Anything else?

I would enter the contest under different circumstances. No 1: no one gets my credit card number online-no way. I think asking others to contribute towards your kids college fund is a little too much. I have a daughter and understand. In this world if shes going to have the best, I will provide it for her, no one else will be there for he except me. I'm not dogging a good idea (atleast the giveaways) but I think this should be rethought out. Hardly anyone wants to wait 7 months to know if they have won a contest. I don't think anyone wants spam email or to make contributions to someone elses financial gain. Although the site may not be asking for money, its wierd to donate for someone elses kid. You don't seen too financially strapped, seeing the pics of your collection is quite impressive and expensive. You could sell some of them to start an education fund. I'm sure there are quite a few of us that would buy them. I did like the Atari Song you have on your album. Anyway, its just an opinion, I would enter the contest under different circumstances. Each to his own I guess.

Cheers :)

I would enter the contest under different circumstances.

Just curious, what would those circumstances be? My hope was that the prize was good enough to get people to participate. I can't think up a contest to give away several hundred dollars worth of games without having a chance to recoup some of the costs. I just thought this was a clever way to do that. I'm surprised so many people want me to sell the games rather than try to win them for free.

Don't mistake this as a plea for money. I'm not going to make enough to even pay for the games, so it's not going to send my kid to college.

Since at least one person has signed up, the games will be given away, not sold (I can't go back on my word).

I like the crypto contest guess that Happy dude put out for example- 8) Label contest, word games, hint and guess solutions. I respect the fact that your not going back on your word and wish you lots of luck on the contest. It is a clever idea.

Cheers

I dont have a credit card

You don't need to sign up a credit card. You can just sign up your supermarket card if you want. All of the people complaining about having to give out their credit card number would know that if they actually read the rules. (But I gave Upromise my number over a year ago, and I'm still OK - I think it's far safer than giving it to a waiter) :wink:

i should just ask my mom if i can sign up her kroger card, or somthing, it would be alot easier. and plus, alot of you are freaking out about this, iv heard of this company for a few years and they have alot of corprate sponsers and things, if i had a credit card i would do it, but i think il grab my moms card sometime =D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there's only one week remaining to sign up for this contest. So far only 4 people have signed up, and 2 aren't even Atari collectors....pretty sad :( . Either I didn't make the prizes good enough, you don't trust me, or you're scared for some reason. Oh, well, it's a free country. I'll be in Austin this weekend if you want to discuss - just look for the monkey.

I am curious of one thing: although you don't need to sign up a credit card to win (and with only a few people signed up you would stand a pretty decent chance of winning just by signing up a Kroger card), I'm surprised that so many supposedly tech-savy people are afraid of giving out their credit card over the internet. What do you use your credit card for? Have you never bought a book from Amazon or used Paypal to buy some Atari stuff? Do you think that handing your card to a minimum wage waitress is safer than through a secure link to a venture sponsored by several billion dollar companies?

Registration ends July 31.

Well, there's only one week remaining to sign up for this contest.  So far only 4 people have signed up, and 2 aren't even Atari collectors....pretty sad :( .  Either I didn't make the prizes good enough, you don't trust me, or you're scared for some reason.  Oh, well, it's a free country.  I'll be in Austin this weekend if you want to discuss - just look for the monkey.

I am curious of one thing: although you don't need to sign up a credit card to win (and with only a few people signed up you would stand a pretty decent chance of winning just by signing up a Kroger card), I'm surprised that so many supposedly tech-savy people are afraid of giving out their credit card over the internet.  What do you use your credit card for?  Have you never bought a book from Amazon or used Paypal to buy some Atari stuff?  Do you think that handing your card to a minimum wage waitress is safer than through a secure link to a venture sponsored by several billion dollar companies?  

Registration ends July 31.

Uh, I don't think using "guilt" is gonna increase the entries any. If that many folks sense something amiss, then I gotta be a lemming here.

Well, there's only one week remaining to sign up for this contest.  So far only 4 people have signed up, and 2 aren't even Atari collectors....pretty sad :( .  Either I didn't make the prizes good enough, you don't trust me, or you're scared for some reason.  Oh, well, it's a free country.  I'll be in Austin this weekend if you want to discuss - just look for the monkey.

Dude, I actually think at this point if you want to raise money for your kids you _would_ do better to auction those carts on ePay. In fact, I'd happily put in a bid.

Uh, I don't think using "guilt" is gonna increase the entries any. If that many folks sense something amiss, then I gotta be a lemming here.

Not sure how you read "guilt" in this - maybe you're mistaking my dismay for guilt. But I did get a couple more people signed up, so you can call it what you want.

Dude, I actually think at this point if you want to raise money for your kids you _would_ do better to auction those carts on ePay.

This is about the 20th response like this I've received. If you want to buy these games, go to Ebay, wait for someone to list them, then be prepared to spend several hundred bucks. This contest is only for those who want them for free. Lemmings need not apply.

Archived