IGNORED

Which 2600 game has the best "Attract/Demo" Mode

Robert M

Here are some pretty cool attract modes where you can learn about the layout/map: H.E.R.O., Private Eye and Double Dragon. And of course, Double Dragon entertains you with the awesome music too.

That's right! I forgot about how informative the demo screens can be. I've definitely used that to figure out a few games. ;-)

• 1 year later...

Jungle Hunt basically it demos the whole game. The title screen for E.T. is pretty cool considering. Pole Position alternates between the title screen and track which is neat, in fact someone that's never seen it usually can't beleive its for the 2600 until they play of course. The color cycling is more a screen saver then an atract mode, but can be cool on some games.

The color cycling is more a screen saver then an atract mode, but can be cool on some games.

Back in the day, my father didn't wanna get us an Atari because there was this rumor around that it could damage TV sets. It was this feature, that I thought it was in the console itself, that allowed me to convience him to get one.

First of all, kudos for bumping a 4-and-a-half-year-old thread... ...better than bringing it up as a "new" topic only to be a repeat of a prior discussion.

I always liked the swaying Centipede.
my favorite was by far journey escape. i used to listen to it for hours
Starmaster or Star Raiders...with the moving starfield. Quite relaxing.

Runner-up: Jr. Pac Man...nice attract-mode gameplay.

I agree with all of these - great attract screens. I'd like to throw in Crystal Castles. It uses a cool font and retains the final score of the most recent game and alternates to show the first level play field. It's very "arcade like".

How about Strat-O-Gems (with AtariVox) or Toyshop Trouble? And I look forward to seeing what people think about Stella's Stocking.

Well, if we're going to include homebrews/neo-retros, then how about Xype's "Gunfight"? It has the computer-controlled gunfighter running around the screen while the logo scrolls. Plus, not only does it play the entire tune of "Ring of Fire", but if you hit your fire button instead of "reset", you can "play" the attract screen, with the Xype logo as an obstacle on the screen to shoot around. How cool is that?

Midnight Magic. It will go up to the 3x table sometimes.

I seem to recall it only playing the first board on startup, but it can play any from the first board, to the last board that you reached when you play a game. (I've personally never made it past the third board, is there more?)

Midnight Magic. It will go up to the 3x table sometimes.

I seem to recall it only playing the first board on startup, but it can play any from the first board, to the last board that you reached when you play a game. (I've personally never made it past the third board, is there more?)

Oh yeah,

It goes, pink, blue, green, yelllow & finally orange. I've turned the score over multiple times. My personal best is around 2,700,000. There are a few members on here who've broken the 1,000,000 mark. That flashing screen is sooooo rewarding.

I kinda like the attract mode to Solar Fox (esp. that intro screen with "Solar Fox" in writing).

Peace

It goes, pink, blue, green, yelllow & finally orange. I've turned the score over multiple times. My personal best is around 2,700,000. There are a few members on here who've broken the 1,000,000 mark. That flashing screen is sooooo rewarding.

Midnight Magic is one of my favorite games - but I have yet to pass 1,000,000. Any chance of posting a YouTube video of some of your playing? I could use some help. :)

And to the topic at hand, I think the LadyBug attract screen is pretty cool - alternating between the title screen with bugs running by and some gameplay. Very arcade-like.

Any chance of posting a YouTube video of some of your playing? I could use some help. :)

Man,

I have no clue @ all how to do that. I don't use emulator, but I have a 65" Mitsubishi with plenty of video outs to record from. I would assume I could burn gameplay onto a dvd (I don't have a dvd recorder....yet) & then I could throw the disc into my laptop & upload from there? I wasn't really going to worry about it until MM came up again in the HSC though.

Weird story though,

A buddy of mine was over one night & we were doing 2 player MM & he got extremely frustrated & set the controller aside during his turn (player 2). The friggin game took over for him! I woke my wife up so we'd have a witness. It ended up scoring well over 700,000! Anyone else encounter this?

But yeah, back to original topic, Frostbite's standy screen always cracked me up cuz Bailey is able to do stuff you can't get away with in the actual game (touching polar bear, clearly getting hit by clams/birds/crabs & being able to escape)!

Peace

• 7 months later...

Well, for Ms. Pac-Man, I have my own memories how this turned out...

The first home version of Mrs. Pac-Man I saw reviewed in a magazine (I think it was back in 1983 here in Austria) actually was the 7800 version. They talked about it as one of the first games for the 7800, and how close it came to the arcade because they used the original programmer from the arcade version (Bally). Of course, as we know today, the 7800 actually wasn't released until much later. Anyway, only after I read that mag article, I saw the 2600 version of Ms. Pac-Man, which wasn't that arcade perfect, but nonetheless was a huge step up to the 2600 version of Pac-Man. And in fact, this holds true for most home versions of Ms. Pac-Man vs. Pac-Man. On the C-64, Pac-Man by Atarisoft (which is only 8K in size) only has mono-colored ghosts (and is generally very close to the Atari 8-bit version of Pac-Man), while Ms. Pac-Man has got multicolored ghosts, an attract mode, all the original mazes and all the intermissions. The same holds true for the Atari 8-bit version of Ms. Pac-Man. On the ZX-Spectrum, the original Pac-Man moves all characters in 8-pixel steps (!), while in Ms. Pac-Man they move smoothly. The only exception seems to be the TI-99, where Pac-Man itself wasn't that bad already, and Ms. Pac-Man seems to be based on it, having the same ghost sprites etc. (just like the Ms. Pac-Man arcade version is based on the original Pac-Man machine), thus not being such a big step up.

Ms. Pac-Man, because of Atari's attempt to mimic the introduction of the ghosts and Ms. Pac-Man, and also the marquee-type display with the ghosts substituted for the marquee lights, from the arcade original's auto-play mode.

Archived