matosimi

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, matosimi said:

Hi all,

Castle Defender is out for public:

http://matosimi.websupport.sk/atari/2019/11/castle-defender/

Enjoy!

REALLY, REALLY nice (!!!)

...And yes, it oozes a sort of polished aura / look, to it... It's quite impressive on NTSC, when all said-and-done (it looks a lot better to the naked eye that what the pics. show!):

61FBE4EC-93E3-4D5A-BC68-11861FC32C65.thumb.jpeg.f3ec1b17ac9f196ad879580933682f12.jpeg2DFDBFE0-7DD8-4BCD-98AA-F8A242A0FAE4.thumb.jpeg.3caed87dfbd6fc78b7fa20e48d32ef14.jpeg2EE08B7A-F25D-4D25-A229-34C5D0A25690.thumb.jpeg.574eefcc24df0fbe0a288f4bb78d5cd2.jpeg

Great Job!!! It is very similar to a game we have on the Playstations.... And gotta LOVE that silky-smooth sprite movement (!)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Castle Defender for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

2015619211_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari8bit5200.jpg.313102a097346940ae560ea7ff57720b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 11:17 AM, +Adam+ said:

Congratulations, "Castle Defender" won third place (ex aequo with Wasteland) in Kaz Kompo 2019, the contest for the best Atari 8-bit game of 2019! :)

kk2019_3rd.jpg

This jumpstarted me to finalize Castle Defender.

There were some graphical bugs/glitches that I fixed yesterday and today.

I have couple things still on my list, but I hope new release will be out very soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, matosimi said:

This jumpstarted me to finalize Castle Defender.

There were some graphical bugs/glitches that I fixed yesterday and today.

I have couple things still on my list, but I hope new release will be out very soon.

Great News, I love this game and solved it several times, but it still attracts me.

I know this might be too much to ask for, but anyway: Is there any chance, that there will be a Level-Editor to create custom levels?

2 hours ago, skr said:

Great News, I love this game and solved it several times, but it still attracts me.

I know this might be too much to ask for, but anyway: Is there any chance, that there will be a Level-Editor to create custom levels?

2 hours ago, McKong said:

Yeah same here, played this game a lot and even though I completed it I still enjoy playing it. Thanks for bringing it to our platform.

A level editor is a good idea

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would require lot of effort.

Level graphics is not tile-based, so it's regular bitmap. There are lot of data that are level specific: enemy paths, distance between enemies, enemy queues, enemy designs, enemy health & shield, tower spots.

All of this would need to be parameterized in the editor.

I can provide the data structure for someone who would like to code the editor, but I refuse doing it.

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

Castle Defender has been updated to v1.2:

http://matosimi.websupport.sk/atari/castle-defender/

@tane I managed to fix the NTSC completely...eventually.

Changes in v1.2 – 09.11.2021

• fixed splash screen glitching on NTSC
  • NTSC speed adjustments to match PAL
  • improved stereo playback
  • removed glitches in transitions between title screen and game
  • added next level jingle
  • added SELECT and START controls to the game menu
  • fixed sidebar stats set/reset when getting to the next level
  • fixed NTSC crash on Defeat (there was 50% chance to crash before reaching title screen)
  • fixed instruction scroll on NTSC – sometimes got stuck when holding SPACE
  • updated loading screen
  • added v1.2 indication to the game title

Enjoy!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Castle Defender on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:
  • Gacek (2021 | A8) by Janusz Chabowski @shanti77
  • Castle Defender (2021 | A8) by Martin Simeček @matosimi (Code & Design), Piotr Radecki (Title Screen), Michal Radecki (Music)
  • Barnstorming (2021 | A8) by glurk @glurk
  • Pang (2016 | A8) by Tomasz Biela (Tebe/Madteam), Kamil Walaszek (Vidol) & Adam Pwroznik (Ooz / Agenda) & Maciej Hauke (Rocky / Madteam) (Graphics), Michal Radecki (String / Agenda) (Music)

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 1

I completely missed this one. I will give it a try soon. I completely agree with @Mclaneinc. It's incredible that our 40 year old Atari 8bit computers are still supported with first quality software. In fact, some of today's titels are more addictive and impressive than the originally released atari 8bit stuff.

Many, many thanks for all the creators and publishers of these games. Very much appreciated.

@matosimi Can't wait to test your game. It looks amazing in the preview. Thanks!

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 1:42 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Castle Defender on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

I just saw the recording of the twitch stream... I have few things to mention:

1. the output Atari video is somehow not showing full resolution so it is kind of flickering even it should not... like some vertical lines of the 320x196 resolution are missing

2. in order to win 1st level you have to build tower type 2 to destroy shields of enemies that are introduced in phase 4... you both built only towers type 1 and upgraded as much as possible - rookie mistake

3. I have used full 64kB, Basic can be turned off programmatically and also OS Rom was turned off as well - pretty standard these days.

4. You eventually understood the control scheme, the way how you switch between towers is taken from the original game.

5. I would watch it live, however it was like 3am or 4am in my central european timezone.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, matosimi said:

4. You eventually understood the control scheme, the way how you switch between towers is taken from the original game.

I played the game when was released and couldn't get through the control scheme, if you plan some future update it would be great to have some alternative control provided.