IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Label Feedback and Product Testers Wanted

cschell

Hello Everyone,

Good news, my beta testers have signed off on the Cuttle Cart 2!

However, I'd like to have a little bit larger test than I was able to do for my in-depth beta testing. For this reason I'm looking for early adopters / beta testers to help me out. Details can be found on my webpage. http://www.schells.com/cc2.shtml

I've also put up two label designs (they differ only slightly), and I'd like opinions on which one to use. Again check the webpage.

Thanks,

Chad

I'll like whichever label is on the cart that I end up getting... :D

Of course, I somehow have to convince my wife that spending $200 on Atari stuff is a "good thing" :) And I'm not even including the MMC card and reader, and the 7800 that I'm gonna have to buy to use it :)

If it was PAL compatible then it's a consideration... if not, then I'm SooL  :roll:

It is PAL compatible, or at least it was designed with that intention and worked fine on Mitch's PAL 7800. The only limitation is that if you use the serial download feature for development purposes, the maximum download rate is 57600 bps on a PAL console, as opposed to 115200 bps on an NTSC console.

Of course if you try to use it to play NTSC games, the games themselves will act just like the NTSC carts. I'm told that many NTSC 7800 games and some 2600 games do not run correctly on PAL consoles, and that will still be true if you try to play those games through the CC2. (Similarly the High Score Cartridge does not function correctly on PAL consoles.)

Chad

Regarding the label: How about turning the bubbles into little fish? And making fewer of them? Perhaps by making single color mini-fish (dark blue, slightly darker than the background) you can fill in the "white space" yet not detract from the title.

Jason (who wishes he had 2 Bens burning a hole in his pocket)

I like the bubbles as well. After some careful thought, I don't think I'd make a good tester, I just don't have the time to do it adequately, but I'm dying to get this! Just say the word for the preorder flood-gates to open :D How long do you think it will take for this to sell out? I'm hoping I'm close to my computer when the announcement is made.

Jim

At the bottom of the CC2 page, is this line:

Also, please note that I can only support Windows operating systems. If you use something else, you must be able to write C programs to create the utilities for your OS.

Is this just for the menu files and serial transfer mentioned? Can the CC2 be used without these utilities?

If I wasn't working on my own gizmo, I might offer to make a Java program for it. That would cover Windows, Linux, MacOS X, and others. Maybe in a few months I'll make the offer.

The label with the bubbles is definitely better. Bubbles are happy things. They are....well, bubbly. And they do break up the monotony of the solid blue background without detracting from the label title and text.

If you are worried about the bubbles competing with the label text (you shouldn't, the bubbles really are just fine as they are) you could try lowering the contrast of the bubbles a little bit. Instead of making the bubbles the exact same shade of white as the text, you could make them a little off-white with a slight tint of blue or gray. Or you could make them solid black. That could work, too.

Ben

At the bottom of the CC2 page, is this line:
Also, please note that I can only support Windows operating systems. If you use something else, you must be able to write C programs to create the utilities for your OS.

Is this just for the menu files and serial transfer mentioned? Can the CC2 be used without these utilities?

Yes, just for the serial transfer and creation of the menu file. (Assuming your operating system of choice can write to MMCs formatted for a FAT16 file system.) The menu file is just a carefully formatted text file - worst case someone would create it carefully in a text editor. Anyone with a unix variant can likely get the code up and running in minutes.

Once the CC2 is loaded, the computer isn't required.

Chad

Ok,

The masses have spoken. They want bubbles. Although I might have to look into the fish suggestions a few others have made.

As for product testers, yes I have your emails, and yes I'm going through them. I will get back to everyone in the not too distant future.

Thanks to everyone,

Chad

Just my opinion, but I think the illustration for this label is not as good as the one on the original CC.  I don't think the title and (especially) the "2" read that well.

Bummer. I happen to really like the 2. But I know what you mean. If the CC2 had to sit on a retail shelf I would make the name more prominent. I did consider putting the title above in plain text as well as having the picture, but didn't really like it.

My original idea was just to make a white label with block letters that read "CART", like the old generic supermarket products. I found that really amusing, but no one seemed to think that would be a very popular idea. :P

Chad

For those of you who would like a sneak peak at the Cuttle Cart 2, Al has been kind enough to offer to display it at the Atariage booth at the Austin Gaming Expo.

It will most likely be loaded up with copies of the other demos and new games available at the booth. And yes, it will probably have the label with bubbles. :)

Chad

• 2 weeks later...
If it was PAL compatible then it's a consideration... if not, then I'm SooL  :roll:

It is PAL compatible, or at least it was designed with that intention and worked fine on Mitch's PAL 7800. The only limitation is that if you use the serial download feature for development purposes, the maximum download rate is 57600 bps on a PAL console, as opposed to 115200 bps on an NTSC console.

Of course if you try to use it to play NTSC games, the games themselves will act just like the NTSC carts. I'm told that many NTSC 7800 games and some 2600 games do not run correctly on PAL consoles, and that will still be true if you try to play those games through the CC2. (Similarly the High Score Cartridge does not function correctly on PAL consoles.)

Chad

I've only just seen this thread...

when you say the High Score Cartridge won't work, what exactly IS that? Is that something that saves your top scores on each game or something? Yes, I'm ignorant.

Archived