IGNORED

Robinson's Requiem at AGE

jaysmith2000

He was perfect correct, stop trying to confuse people.

Unecncripted CD's (thats anything not officially released by Atari) require a loader program, either P:SE, BS:G, the B&C bypass cartridge, or something more exotic like a hacked/developer cd bios or bjl / jagserver uploadable bypass code.

Your constant self promotion is really pissing everyone off, incase you hadnt noticed (but Im sure you have, you'd have to be blind not to see how many people around here are really annoyed with you).

A sticky thread about bypass carts seems a good idea, as long as its sticky and locked.

Just put him on your ignore list like I did; the only problem with it is that people keep quoting him so I STILL have to see his crap once in a while, please stop quoting him!

Guys, please, I know it's possible to hold a discussion here without it turning into a flame war.

It is, but then the kiddies wouldn't get a chance to blather on about what a self-promoting creep I am at the merest mentioning of any ScatoLOGIC product or to make their daily rant about how wonderful it is to ignore me except when people quote me (talk about self-promotion! We got the "Quote T-Bird" joke the first 18 times he wrote it).

Tbird, what is it exactly I havnt figured out yet?

Oh, and I would recomend somebody other than Thundebird writing the sticky thread about bypass carts. Someone capable of remaining objective, and pointing out every possible way to run an unencripted CD. I would offer but no doubt someone would object, dispite my ability to remain objective. I actually wrote up a nice one a few weeks ago, in another thread about the subject.

Oh, and I would recomend somebody other than Thundebird writing the sticky thread about bypass carts.

I agree that a knowledgeable third-party should probably write this, but that doesn't mean it can't be started by you or Thunderbird. As long as the document clearly describes all the various products and methods that are available, and does so without a biased slant, I think it will be fine. A new topic can be started, left as a sticky and hopefully discussed in a rather peaceful manner. If you already wrote up a nice one in another thread, then perhaps you can dig it out and we can start talking about it?

..Al

Does this mean that robinsons requiem has been confirmed for release?

No, Jay Smith is still trying to get approval from the rights holders (Silmarils) to release it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this, RR would make a great release!

Tbird, what is it exactly I havnt figured out yet?

Oh, and I would recomend somebody other than Thundebird writing the sticky thread about bypass carts. Someone capable of remaining objective, and pointing out every possible way to run an unencripted CD. I would offer but no doubt someone would object, dispite my ability to remain objective. I actually wrote up a nice one a few weeks ago, in another thread about the subject.

It's a sad state of affairs when the truth and the facts get rejected because they don't match up with someone's bias.

I'm not going to bother writing anything because it's impossible to tell the truth in an objective manner without someone getting all bent out of shape because they don't want to hear the truth.

Plus, any discussion I make would need to omit any references to any ScatoLOGIC products because for some reason even merely mentioning them on my part is considered "shameless self promotion".

The problem is not the promoting of your products, the problem is the way you do it makes it seem like your product is the ONLY way, and less knowledgeable may believe that to be fact, and then if they want your product, because they think it what they NEED if they want a chance to play these other products they soon find out it isn't even available! Which you also fail to mention. Just a "by the way we are currently sold out, but will have more available in the future" would be enough. Some one with an pinch of integrity would at least elude to the fact that there are other products or ways of getting the job done too, even if you suggested that your way might be the best and give them a list of it's advantages. But that will never happen will it? (and yes, your still on my ignore list, I just had to follow this discussion carefully).

I think this is whats getting peoples backs up about TBird.

This is unbeleviable! Great news!  

I like RR - I played it on ST and Falcon...

This will be great addition for my Jaguar collection and nice game to play... you realy need a lot to think in this game...for instance - if you will go to caves you need torch, but you must made it firs... ;)

OK, some questions - it will be on CD - is that means that I need Jagfree CD (Protector SE or BS gold) to play it?

Thanks

Bolid

No, it actually means you need a JUGS-DD™ compatible CD-Bypass to use it.

It's the point that he said flat out NO to everything but "JUGS-DD compatible" Which as you read it says that Protector SE or BS gold are not correct, which infact they are.

If TBird doesn't want JUGS-DD to be labled as "Jagfree CD" a simple "BS Gold is JUGS-DD and NOT Jagfree CD, but the effect is the same" or some such would have been a much better responce.

I won't make an analogy as I know it will be completley taken out of context and twisted in some perverse manner.

Hello Fred! I figured you needed to be welcomed properly. Or as properly as I can muster. Welcome to AA!!

Sorry you had to join in in the middle of a tussle, but uh, just ignore that.

Any chance you would be up to translating the Robinsons Requiem interview into English? :D

Anyway, welcome to AA!

Hello Everybody !

I'm Fred from France  

We have found an other man who worked at Silmarils ( a musician )

and he will contact André Rocques to accelerate the Robinson Requiem  

release !

but for the moment ..... wait !

thanks

Hello Fred from France!

That's awesome news about speeding up the process for release!

Soon we will have another thread entitled: Robinson's Requiem at Saturn's Place. ;)

Welcome to the forum. :)

Why did I write that third sentence? :roll: Ahh, edit button...

Hi guys,

I thought I'd give everyone an update. I did e-mail Fred and asked him if he is successful to point Andre or Louis-Marie my way. In addition I do now have a phone number thanks to Nick Harlow. I'll be contacting them very soon. I'm in the middle of getting ready to move to Las Vegas so things are going to be a little crazy for a while, however I will let everyone know as we make progress. Everything else is lined up for the release, I just need the licensing! Exciting stuff!

Jason

Everything else is lined up for the release, I just need the licensing!  Exciting stuff!
This is awesome! I can't wait to get me hands on this title. Keep up the great work and good luck in Las Vegas. 8)

Cranks up Viva Las Vegas :music:

Elvis has left the building

Hi !

Ok, I have translated the interview... Really sorry for my poor english, I hope you'll understand everything !

Fredi Fredo :

Hi !Here is the interview !

Cyril is very fast !

-------------------------------------------------------

FF : I hope you had good hollidays

Cyril : Too short, like all hollidays ;o)

FF : So here is the interview, I hope we are not disturbing you with this...

Cyril : Let’s go, I’ll try to remember the maximum, it’s very old...

FF : First, I ask to every person I interview to speak a little about themselves. But for you I think everything is said here : http://www.foxysofts.com/index.php?l=includes/qui.inc , maybe something to add ?

Cyril : Yes in fact everything is on my bio, I don’t see what I could add.

FF : Robinson’s Requiem for Jaguar has been a few months ago. Can you tell us more about this game (dates of developpment, little tidbits, etc.) ?

Cyril : About the Jaguar version, it was done between 1994 and 1995, maybe at the begining of 1996, I don’t remember very well since I was working in parallel on other platforms (Falcon and Macintosh).

Was did impress me the most when I did get the Jaguar kit was the “open side” of the beast, with it’s wires and the card nude plugged directly to the Jaguar card port, it had an artisanal side, with wasn’t the case for the developpers documentation, marked “confidential” on every sheet. I was just begining in the video game business and this thing impressed me.

FF : Are you still in contact with Jaguar developpers ?

Cyril : No, I even wasn’t aware that there were still Jaguar developpers ;o)

FF : What are the differencies between the original version of RR and Ishar 3 on PC and Jaguar & Falcon versions ? Were the graphisms improved ? Or is it a simple adaptation ?

Cyril : For Ishar 3, it was only an adaptation of the game, nothing more, nothing was improved.

For RR, at the begining, it was planned the same with the PC version, and adding a few colors to the sprites. The first work for me was to adpat the game engine “Alis” from Silmarils on Jaguar to run a fast preview of the game. But we unterstood the a simple adaptation wasn’t realistic enough with the 68000 power only, RR uses the voxel technology, a pseudo 3D calculated in 2D. The Jaguar was not enough powerful for that.

In the same time, an another programmer (David Ingels) was working on the 3DO version and had the same problems. So we decided to change the voxel in true 3D faces. But we developped the different game engines, one for each hardware.

About the Falcon version, I’ve juste added the CD Rom support, and I think we have recompiled a version of this game using the 256 colors from the PC version, but nothing outstanding technically speaking, I’m not even sure we did optimisations with the 68030.

FF : Can you tell us more about the technical specifications of RR and Ishar 3 on Jaguar ?

Cyril : All I can remember is that these games were on CD Rom, and that for the Jaguar version of RR, a new intro had been done.

FF : Is RR using well the Jaguar hardware ?

Cyril : I really tried to push the hardware to its limits using a maximum the calculs in parallel 68K/DSP.

I had many problems with that, with the many bugs of the Jaguar et with the bad support from Atari. To give you an idea, an the begining of the port, the game using at 100% the 68K was running only at 5/10 fps in 2D. At the end, with the work on the DSP etthe different processors, the 3D game engine was running at 25 fps.

FF : Where is Ishar 3 today and why french magazines were talking about Ishar Genesis/Trilogy ?

Cyril : Ishar 3, Trilogy, Genesis are the different products.

Ishar 3 was done for PC, Atari, etc.

The trilogy version was only a compilation of the 3 Ishars.

Ishar Genesis was the name we gave at Silmarils for the “Ishar 4” project, wich sadly never saw the light of the day. The few work we did on this has been used later in the game “Asghan”.

FF : Did Silmarils worked on another Jaguar projects ? Demos ?

Cyril : No, the developpment of Robison took too many time, then Atari closed it’s doors, so we never planned other titles.

FF : Do you have news from the Rocques brothers ?

Cyril : No, no news since I left Silmarils. But I have heard the they went out of business in April, I was very sad to hear that.

FF : What are for you the strongest and weakest points of the Jaguar ?

Cyril : It’s strongest points were it’s weakest points too. Even it was an 64 bit hardware, it was too limitated by it’s bus and it’s 68K, working only in 16/32.

A few bugs in the OP side where giving hard times too. Overall, the machine had a good potential, but was released too late since the PSX was just coming and Atari could just not convince the developpers and give a decent support : as a result, the Jaguar has never been fully exploited.

FF : On the Silmarils website , we can read that they worked on Lynx. Do you know something about this ?

Cyril : Yes, I have seen a few d. kits in our office, but they were here before my arrival. I think they worked on a demo game for testing purposes, but I have never seen it and I don’t know what happened with this.

FF : Are you for for or against emulation and game copying in general ?

Cyril : I am for emulation, as you can see by visiting my website. I have even developped a GBA game on emulator. But it’s clear I’m against savage game copying. We have now enough game demos and tests to juge if a game deserve to be purshased, or not.

FF : On what game machine would you have liked to work ?

Back in the past, I have worked a little on SNES, I would have loved to develop a game on this machine. Today, I would like to work on XBox and game Cube.

FF : do you know what happened to Jaguar developpment kits at Silmarils ?

Cyril : I don’t know, but since Silmarils closed it’s door, probably lost forever.

FF : Finally, would you like to come to the next jaguar Connexion 2003 the 25 and 26 october near Paris ?

Cyril : Why not, yes. If I’m still in Paris at this time I could come as a nostalgic visitor ;o)

FF : Thank you very much !

Archived