IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

3 hours ago, digdugnate said:

i played it for a few yesterday- not my cup of tea.  :)  literary references are kinda cute, but i think the platforming/mechanics are boring.

It is definitely in the vein of classic Castlevania, so if that's not your thing it probably won't appeal to you. It is a lot higher quality than most of the Indie Hero platformers we've gotten, though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anybody hear any rumors of more alphas in the pipe? Sometimes we get solid leaks, right?

I figured I'd give them a bit of time to announce something before I pick one of the current alpha choices.

maybe a capcom shmup one, or an atari one? ...maybe in their woodgrain cabaret-cab style. 🥺

Edited by Reaperman

4 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Anybody hear any rumors of more alphas in the pipe? Sometimes we get solid leaks, right?

I figured I'd give them a bit of time to announce something before I pick one of the current alpha choices.

maybe a capcom shmup one, or an atari one? ...maybe in their woodgrain cabaret-cab style. 🥺

Doubtful they announce any new models until the two upcoming ones have already been out for quite some time.

Look at the timing between the Taito/Capcom Super Pockets and then the Atari/Technos models. That should give you a better idea of when, if ever, they'll do another Alpha. We don't even know if the models they're releasing are going to be successful. They're pretty damned expensive and their functionality is pretty limited. An arcade stick and a VS to plug into your television would seem to be a far, far better way to go unless you absolutely need to play these games on an 8 inch screen for some reason.

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 2

I understand the frustration, though. Given the price, it would be pretty annoying to get one if they release a more interesting one even in a year. At least, the Super Pocket is very cheap (and doesn't take a lot of space), so you can easily buy a second one. Fortunately, I'm still convinced the Taito one was the right choice for me.

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm almost certainly getting that new atari super pocket. I've got a capcom one, but there's no way I would have that if the atari one was in the first round. Already at $70, the price pushes it close to the 'feelsbad' territory.

but man, it'd really bug me if I plopped down for the rather so-so game collections on the current alphas just to have them announce 'the good one' later on. The thing is north of $250 out the door--which puts it in the price range of switch lites, analogue pockets, and potential MiSTer clone hardware. Given that, it seems an odd time to be getting stingier with the built-in game count. 🙄

And I do 'get it'-- they have to sell good number of these first-round alphas to even consider other/better versions. Which I'm going to guess probably hasn't happened yet, since even I've gone from 'OmgTakeMyMoney!' to 'hold up a sec.'

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The Chaos Engine 2 is stuck in the shadow of the first game.

I remember Gods as it was ported to the Super NES and Sega Genesis.  That's a platformer but also has puzzles to solve not unlike the Lost Vikings (collecting items and backtracking).  The game was also known for its AI able to adapt to the player's actions & ability.

• Like 2

This is a fascinating video about the history of game music that features a number of Evercade games, including Sunsoft's Journey to Silius going toe to toe with Super Mario Brothers right there in the thumbnail!

• Like 1

Yikes. I hope they got rights to put the games on carts. Despite not the wood grain being available, I'm still half tempted on the Atari 50, just because Atari, but I'm kinda burned out on "another handheld/console" I mean, outside the included games list, its not doing something you can't already do on the flood of other evercade compatible devices.

• Like 2

Crazy Burger's channel had a neat hands-on with the upcoming evercades including the alpha. And after seeing it, I preordered the SF one. I do note this is the only actual footage of a real unit that I've ever seen. It's an expensive thing to sell with a few seconds of 3d-render footage. 

I'll get the atari super pocket too. Obviously missing out on the woodgrain is another 'feelsbad' moment, and doubly so rebuying a console I already have. they'd be wise to minimize the number of those 'feelsbad' moments that they've been producing this year. With any chance of a woodgrain gone, I feel no need to preorder, so will just wait on ordering that. 

Anybody else notice some slightly-out-of-print evercade carts are going for stupid money on eBay lately? My feed keeps a constant watch for cheap duplicate carts for "customization," so I tend to notice the changes.

Efv5cCU.png
The most severe example of the insanity, but those namco carts are getting up there too:
Owxvwwf.png

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

I'll get the atari super pocket too. Obviously missing out on the woodgrain is another 'feelsbad' moment, and doubly so rebuying a console I already have. they'd be wise to minimize the number of those 'feelsbad' moments that they've been producing this year. With any chance of a woodgrain gone, I feel no need to preorder, so will just wait on ordering that. 

You're suggesting it's "wise" for them to stop releasing limited editions because it makes you feel bad when you miss out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

I mean, we already had 5 Atari Evercade carts and they discontinued all of them.

Yeah it's almost like Atari and Capcom are only licensing their titles out on standalone devices and not carts and there's a difference in the licensing fees associated with that.

17 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Are you gonna get the wood grain? I’d buy it like right now.

It was only available through Funstock and sold out in about 2 days. Whether it becomes available from another reseller is TBD I suppose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madman said:

You're suggesting it's "wise" for them to stop releasing limited editions because it makes you feel bad when you miss out?

It is certainly one of the three 'feelsbads' I've had buying their products this year. Evercade is mostly retail-therapy for me, so it's pretty important I feel good about it. They're a $20 treat to spice up a rough day--strained by an increasing variety of considerably less fun to buy items, like todays cab order. 

Actually, I wasn't even tracking the funstock-exclusive end of that before that vid, and for whatever reason I thought a US retailer would carry it. I do think making the limited one in 'only acceptable atari pattern' is overshooting the delicate FOMO balance by quite a bit.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

So far it's been really easy for me not to miss anything new for the Evercade because I always get e-mails from Funstock and Songbird, and from this page and the Facebook Evercade fans page. 

Even if it's a limited exclusive with only 1,000 or 2,000 units you usually have at least a day to lock down a preorder copy of a cartridge or hardware item.

Most regular collectors probably don't miss the chance to buy something or choose not to if they don't want the item.

So far,so good!😄👍

• Like 2

23 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

So far it's been really easy for me not to miss anything new for the Evercade because I always get e-mails from Funstock and Songbird, and from this page and the Facebook Evercade fans page. 

Those are all great ways to avoid "feelsbad" moments caused by not being able to buy video games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madman said:

Those are all great ways to avoid "feelsbad" moments caused by not being able to buy video games.

really just avoids that one feelsbad, though.

On 8/1/2024 at 12:35 PM, famicommander said:

I'm just impressed Atari decided to put its name on a device that actually works for once instead of broken trash like the Flashbcaks, MyArcade devices, 2600+, VCS 800, and 400Mini. 

I don't know how broken the rest are, but evercade doesn't generally have the cleanest track record when it comes to technical problems. It seems like every time I play it (2-3x/year when carts come out) I do notice something wrong basically every time. (here's the last round, and an older game one that got fixed) We do get patches, and when it's a game-patch, the cart itself is patched for the systems without internet--so at least there's that.

I still can't stand the sync-dropping on the VS, but it's better than it was. 

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2