IGNORED

Is There Any Way to Play Arcade Mortal Kombat Without Using MAME?

I was going to say the same.  There was recently a DF retro video done on youtube covering all versions of the original MK1 and even to their surprise, the CD version of the DOS release of the game is the most accurate to the arcade above any console release or questionably emulated with problems/recreated stuff since.  Short of one being an accurate emulator without detectable fault or using the original stuff for MK1, the DOS-CD version won.  That's the one GoG sells and it's quite often quite cheap bundled with 1-3.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I was going to say the same.  There was recently a DF retro video done on youtube covering all versions of the original MK1 and even to their surprise, the CD version of the DOS release of the game is the most accurate to the arcade above any console release or questionably emulated with problems/recreated stuff since.  Short of one being an accurate emulator without detectable fault or using the original stuff for MK1, the DOS-CD version won.  That's the one GoG sells and it's quite often quite cheap bundled with 1-3.

I'm now watching the latest AVGN video on the console ports (no PC sadly)... :rolling:

Edited by MrMaddog
Silly smiley

8 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

I'm now watching the latest AVGN video on the console ports (no PC sadly)... :rolling:

No surprise there, then again it's also that, so of course they'd make a crap show out of wringing the consoles necks for coming up short.

If you care, here's the story(video) have fun: 

4 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Get the DOS versions from GOG...

And they now have MK4.

Alright, I have that installed but I can't get it to work with my PS4 controller. Is there any programs I can use to emulate DOS joysticks on the PS4 controller?

Dosbox emulates dos controllers.  It even lets you map controller buttons to keyboard; helpfull for this game since it has six buttons (including start).  Dos controllers had four buttons maximum, and many games were written to use less.  And they didn't have a start button.

Why aren't you emulating the arcade game in mame.

Edit:

This is assuming you have your ps4 controller working with your computer os.

Edited by mr_me
  • Thanks 1

Well for him and many others MAME has degraded into a chore unless you have it in some pre-setup style fashion whether it's direct or some Pi level garbage.  I won't touch MAME, haven't in a very long time as I got fed up with their update tactics in relation to file names in sets and directories over a decade ago.

• Like 1

I might be slightly tempted, slightly, but it would come down to price.  I was a Mk1 junky back in the day.  I'd play the SNES at home, arcade at camp, used them in tandem on hardest(home) difficulty to school people on the machine, and to just make them back off so I could actually finish it without people lining up quarters.  MK2 was pretty solid, but the franchise pushed me away with 3 when it went all hyper bitchslappy with that stupid run button.

• Like 2